    the feel of quality and nice shots. I hope you understand my engrish here.
    Thanks.

    -Brian (Denmark)
    Juggernaut, Oct 6, 2004

  2. Juggernaut

    John Wright Guest

    "Juggernaut" wrote
    > Im totally new in the world of photography, and my interest in this is
    > growing all the time, so now i have decided to purchase.... I can't say
    > what i want from the cams...Features, etc but i want a nice camera that
    > has
    > the feel of quality and nice shots. I hope you understand my engrish here.

    Your engrish is perfectly fine for this newsgroup.

    Your requirements specification is precise and complete - "I can't say what
    i want from the cams".

    I suggest you put some minimal effort in understanding the basics of
    photography by reading up, then you can work out what you want (or should
    want) in your first camera, then repost your needs, you will get lots of
    good suggestions. Otherwise you are asking for suggestions to throw money
    away.

    - JW
    John Wright, Oct 6, 2004

  3. Just for a start...what can you afford? Assuming that you can't afford the
    best...we can rule out anything 8mp and over. Do you want Point & Shoot or
    will you be learning how a camera works? The Canon Digital Rebel is on the
    high side of what you might look at. Otherwise...anything with at least 5mp
    won't leave you wanting for much. I suggest you go to www.dpreview.com and
    use their feature comparison feature to narrow down your search. Be wary of
    proprietary batteries and dead ends like SmartMedia for storage. Compact
    Flash is the most standard of all....others are less so.
    Gene Palmiter, Oct 6, 2004
  4. Juggernaut

    Fred B. Guest

    Basic snapshots with no optical zoom lens? Canon A310. $150.

    Point and shoot? Canon A75. $250.

    Point and shoot, with long telephoto? Canon S1 IS Powershot. $400.

    Joy and glory? Nikon N70 digital SLR.
    $1300 with lens.

    Then to modify images, Photoshop Elements 2 or 3(if you have WINXP). $100.
    Fred B., Oct 6, 2004
  5. "Juggernaut" <> writes:

    > Hi there.
    > Im totally new in the world of photography, and my interest in this is
    > growing all the time, so now i have decided to purchase.... But which one?
    > I have looked on Fuji's S7000 and Sony's DSC 717.
    > I haven't seen them in real life so im depending on you guys. I can't say
    > what i want from the cams...Features, etc but i want a nice camera that has
    > the feel of quality and nice shots. I hope you understand my engrish here.
    > Thanks.

    The 717 is last years model (current model is the 828), so dealers are cutting
    the price to sell it, but it still takes nice pictures. I've shot with a
    friends 717 and I find it tends to make the colors somewhat more neon like than
    I see with my Olympus cameras, and different people like different colors. One
    thing that some people complain about is the size of the camera since they want
    a camera that can fit in a pocket, and the Sony with its large lens won't. The
    S7000 is similarly large.

    The Sony will be slightly better in low light because it has a faster lens and
    can be pushed to ISO 800 (also historically Fuji's have had problems with low
    light). The Fuji has slightly better range than the Sony, and since it can use
    CF cards, its media costs are cheaper. The Fuji can use AA rechargables which
    are readily available, but the Sony battery is generally regarded as being long
    lasting.

    --
    Michael Meissner
    email:
    Michael Meissner, Oct 6, 2004
  6. Juggernaut

    GT40 Guest

    You need to try them out for yourself, and look at online reviews.
    But in the end you have to try them.

    GT40, Oct 6, 2004
  7. Juggernaut wrote:

    > Hi there.
    > Im totally new in the world of photography, and my interest in this is
    > growing all the time, so now i have decided to purchase.... But which one?
    > I have looked on Fuji's S7000 and Sony's DSC 717.
    > I haven't seen them in real life so im depending on you guys. I can't say
    > what i want from the cams...Features, etc but i want a nice camera that has
    > the feel of quality and nice shots. I hope you understand my engrish here.
    > Thanks.
    >
    > -Brian (Denmark)

    Read the review for those cameras at www.dpreview.com and you'll find that there
    are better cameras for the same money.