    Canon Power Shot A70. Any comments or reccomendations

    TIA

    Mike

    Mike, Aug 15, 2003

  2. Mike

    Mike Graham Guest

    In article <Srb%a.105$>, Mike wrote:

    > I have seen some cameras which have a delay between
    > pushing the button and the shutter working, usually resulting in the object
    > be photographed missed.

    Very common in digital cameras, as received.

    > Are all digital camera's like this, are some better
    > than others. I have £300 to spend, and at the moment my first choice is a
    > Canon Power Shot A70. Any comments or reccomendations

    If you want them to take the shot in a hurry then you have to turn off the
    autofocus. Use manual focus. Even then they don't take a shot as fast as a
    film camera.

    Mike Graham, Aug 15, 2003

  3. Mike

    Joe Blow Guest

    > Hi, I'm looking to buy a digital camera in the next few days, It will be
    > mostly used for holiday type photos but also like to take motorsport
    > (action) photos. I have seen some cameras which have a delay between
    > pushing the button and the shutter working, usually resulting in the object
    > be photographed missed. Are all digital camera's like this, are some better
    > than others. I have £300 to spend, and at the moment my first choice is a
    > Canon Power Shot A70. Any comments or reccomendations

    I myself enjoy the Canon G4, but they are impossible to get unless you know
    someone. There was a limited production run and they were only offered to
    employees of Canon. My wife's friend works for them and got one for us as he
    is not interested in photography at all and didn't want it.

    This thing makes an SLR look and feel like a baby toy! What I don't
    understand is, if they could make something of this quality, why not offer it to
    the public, but he says that the story is they would have to sell it for $2000
    and no one would pay that much, they would just get an SLR. They are not
    making any money off of this, but it is offered as a bonus to employees at cost,
    which was something like $100. (Can you believe the mark ups on cameras?)

    I guess the G3 or G5 would be the next best thing if you don't know someone that
    works for Canon, but there is nothing that beats this G4! The quality is
    outstanding and it uses a 7megapixel CCD with a 10X optical zoom with a lens
    that is quite a bit larger than on the G3 and G5 and allows a lot more
    light. It has a shutter speed range from 1/5000 to as long as you want it
    open. It can record Mpeg1 or Mpeg2 video with sound and can be burned to a
    CD or DVD for CD-video or DVD video that can both be played on any DVD player!

    It also employs something similar to Sony's night shot, and reads infrared
    light, but actually delivers colour instead of the green monotone images.
    You can even do that trick where it looks like you are seeing through people's
    clothes like the old Sony camcorders could do, but with this you get colour, so
    you can see the designs on people's underwear like pink strawberries and such.

    Haven't got through all of the manual yet, but there is a nice buffer than
    allows you to hold down the shutter button and wait for something to happen,
    then when you let go, it snapped shots from upto 10 seconds before you let go of
    the shutter.

    Sorry to make you drool, but if you try hard enough, you can still get one of
    these, but I doubt you will ever find one on Ebay!

    Joe.

    Joe Blow, Aug 15, 2003
  4. Mike

    Wayne J Guest

    "Mike Graham" <> wrote in message

    > If you want them to take the shot in a hurry then you have to turn off

    the
    > autofocus. Use manual focus. Even then they don't take a shot as fast as

    > film camera.

    Usenet must be a smaller community than I thought. I really enjoyed reading
    your posts on that welding newsgroup. I still can't weld very well though.

    Wayne

    Wayne J, Aug 16, 2003
  5. Mike

    Ken Davey Guest

    > In article <Srb%a.105$>, Mike wrote:
    >
    > > I have seen some cameras which have a delay between
    > > pushing the button and the shutter working, usually resulting in the

    object
    > > be photographed missed.

    > Very common in digital cameras, as received.
    >
    > > Are all digital camera's like this, are some better
    > > than others. I have £300 to spend, and at the moment my first choice is

    > > Canon Power Shot A70. Any comments or reccomendations

    Given your concerns with shutter delay and subject matter you may want to
    re-visit your budget constraints or leave the digital world to more affluent
    folks. Actually you may find a camera within your price range that does not
    exhibit an unaccaptable shutter lag but it may not deliver what you need.
    Hang out here and do a lot more research on the net. The wording of your
    question speaks volumes about what you don't know.

    That statement is not meant as a 'flame'. It is an attempt to guide you.

    Lots of luck.
    Ken.

    Ken Davey, Aug 16, 2003