Which camera should I buy?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Princess Morgiah, Aug 1, 2003.

  1. Hi everyone,

    First of all, sorry if this is the wrong group to ask for advice (I thought
    there'd be more groups on digital photography online?).

    I'm about to buy my first digital camera, and can't seem to decide between
    the Canon PowerShot A70 and the Sony DSC-V1. I'm an amateur photographer,
    and need it just to take some shots on holidays and stuff like that. Having
    said that, I'm also an IT consultant who is very willing to learn all the
    stuff surrounding photography just for the fun of knowing what is possible
    with a camera. Might make a nice new hobby out of it.

    There is of course the difference in price, but apart from that here's what
    I'm concerned about:
    Canon Powershot A70:
    - 3.2Mp instead of the 5.1 of the Sony
    - more consecutive shots (12 instead of 3)
    - NO possibility for .raw of .tiff
    - cheaper add-ons (memory, battery)
    - the rubber cap shielding the USB port seems awfully unreliable and shoddy,
    looks terrible as well (I just tossed away my previous camera because of a
    broken cap which couldn't be fixed)
    - I found some very nice sample pictures on the net, but compared to the
    DSC...

    Sony DSC-V1:
    - Carl Zeiss lens - a merchant told me that this alone would be enough
    reason to buy it, is it true?
    - may be a too complicated camera to use
    - only 3 consecutive shots (don't know how that mode should be called)
    - expensive add-ons

    The movie features of both camera's can be left out of the picture - I've
    seen a sample movie from the Sony and wasn't very impressed (very good
    picture quality but 16fps is really bad). Also the nightframing of
    nightvision or whatever it's called is a nice to have, but not important for
    me.

    I'm looking for a camera that could allow me to learn about photography, but
    I also want a camera that enables me to take pictures 'out of the box', also
    considering the fact that I'll be lending it to my family members who will
    not take the time to get to know the camera.

    I have absolutely no idea how to compare these camera's any further than the
    stated stuff, since I do not know what stuff like lens equivalence or
    maximum aperture is (still willing to learn though).

    Any ideas, opinions on both camera's, other camera's I should consider? I've
    read the reviews at dcreview, dcresource, steve-digicams and others out
    there. I've gathered a lot of samples but can't seem to make up my mind
    about those cameras. Besides, samples can be faked very easily, I saw it in
    some reviews (fe. Canon A70 shot with all the right settings and Canon G5
    with defaults at mid resolution - review turned out in favour of the A70
    picture quality-wise!).

    Thanks in advance,

    Princess Morgiah

    Princess Morgiah, Aug 1, 2003

  2. "Princess Morgiah" <> wrote in message
> [...]

    > considering the fact that I'll be lending it to my family members who will
    > not take the time to get to know the camera.
    >
    > I have absolutely no idea how to compare these camera's any further than

    the
    > stated stuff, since I do not know what stuff like lens equivalence or
    > maximum aperture is (still willing to learn though).
    >
    > Any ideas, opinions on both camera's, other camera's I should consider?

    I've
    > read the reviews at dcreview, dcresource, steve-digicams and others out
    > there. I've gathered a lot of samples but can't seem to make up my mind
    > about those cameras. Besides, samples can be faked very easily, I saw it

    in
    > some reviews (fe. Canon A70 shot with all the right settings and Canon G5
    > with defaults at mid resolution - review turned out in favour of the A70

    How about the Canon G3?

    I wanted to go for that Sony digicam, but when I found out that the flash
    pops up under your finger, that took care of that!

    Try www.dpreview.com --- great reviews there!

    Digicam zealot, Aug 1, 2003

  3. "Digicam zealot" <> wrote in message
    <snipped my post>
    > How about the Canon G3?
    >
    > I wanted to go for that Sony digicam, but when I found out that the flash
    > pops up under your finger, that took care of that!
    >
    > Try www.dpreview.com --- great reviews there!

    It seems that in most stores around these parts, the G3 is no longer sold
    (they mostly tell me it's outdated by the G5 and therefor no longer
    available), but that was the one I was originally planning to buy, until my
    neighbour got the A70 and I saw the Sony in the shops.

    Thanks for your quick reply!

    Princess Morgiah

    Princess Morgiah, Aug 1, 2003
  4. Princess Morgiah

    JK Guest

    Princess Morgiah wrote:

    > Hi everyone,
    >
    > First of all, sorry if this is the wrong group to ask for advice (I thought
    > there'd be more groups on digital photography online?).
    >
    > I'm about to buy my first digital camera, and can't seem to decide between
    > the Canon PowerShot A70 and the Sony DSC-V1.

    Why not the Olympus C5050? It has a fast lens and is good for taking
    photos indoors without using a flash or tripod if the lighting is decent
    using the ISO 400 mode.Many museums allow photos to be taken
    without a flash or tripod.The Canon G3 or G5 or the Sony f717 would
    also be good for this.

    > I'm an amateur photographer,
    > and need it just to take some shots on holidays and stuff like that. Having
    > said that, I'm also an IT consultant who is very willing to learn all the
    > stuff surrounding photography just for the fun of knowing what is possible
    > with a camera. Might make a nice new hobby out of it.
    >
    > There is of course the difference in price, but apart from that here's what
    > I'm concerned about:
    > Canon Powershot A70:
    > - 3.2Mp instead of the 5.1 of the Sony
    > - more consecutive shots (12 instead of 3)
    > - NO possibility for .raw of .tiff
    > - cheaper add-ons (memory, battery)
    > - the rubber cap shielding the USB port seems awfully unreliable and shoddy,
    > looks terrible as well (I just tossed away my previous camera because of a
    > broken cap which couldn't be fixed)
    > - I found some very nice sample pictures on the net, but compared to the
    > DSC...
    >
    > Sony DSC-V1:
    > - Carl Zeiss lens - a merchant told me that this alone would be enough
    > reason to buy it, is it true?

    The lens is slow at the telephoto end at f4. It does have an ISO 800 mode,
    although I don't know how noisy the images are in the 800 ISO mode.

    > - may be a too complicated camera to use
    > - only 3 consecutive shots (don't know how that mode should be called)
    > - expensive add-ons
    >
    > The movie features of both camera's can be left out of the picture - I've
    > seen a sample movie from the Sony and wasn't very impressed (very good
    > picture quality but 16fps is really bad). Also the nightframing of
    > nightvision or whatever it's called is a nice to have, but not important for
    > me.
    >
    > I'm looking for a camera that could allow me to learn about photography, but
    > I also want a camera that enables me to take pictures 'out of the box', also
    > considering the fact that I'll be lending it to my family members who will
    > not take the time to get to know the camera.

    The program modes on the C5050 would be good for that.

    JK, Aug 1, 2003
  5. Princess Morgiah

    OlEnSh Guest

    if you're just starting to learn photography, i suggest you get the cheaper
    one, then upgrade later when you become dissatisfied with it.
    you'll also want some manual controls (shutter,aperture priority)- the A70
    has these, but I'm not sure about the V1. but if you want large printouts,
    then the V1 looks better.

    what about the 10x zoom, <$500 category (which I'm looking into at the
    moment)? If you don't mind the slightly bulkier build, they offer the manual
    controls similar to digital SLRs, but also point-and-shoot convenience.
    Check out:
    olympus c-750/740/730
    toshiba pdr-m700 (new)
    fuji s5000 (coming soon)
    ....with others to follow suit ???
    Seems like the 10x zoom category will become pretty competitive soon!

    OlEnSh, Aug 1, 2003
  6. "OlEnSh" <> wrote in message
    > if you're just starting to learn photography, i suggest you get the

    cheaper
    > one, then upgrade later when you become dissatisfied with it.
    > you'll also want some manual controls (shutter,aperture priority)- the A70
    > has these, but I'm not sure about the V1. but if you want large printouts,
    > then the V1 looks better.
    >
    > what about the 10x zoom, <$500 category (which I'm looking into at the
    > moment)? If you don't mind the slightly bulkier build, they offer the

    manual
    > controls similar to digital SLRs, but also point-and-shoot convenience.
    > Check out:
    > olympus c-750/740/730
    > toshiba pdr-m700 (new)
    > fuji s5000 (coming soon)
    > ...with others to follow suit ???
    > Seems like the 10x zoom category will become pretty competitive soon!

    Thanks very much to everyone for your tips and advice - I just went out and
    bought the Canon A70 and I absolutely love it!

    Princess Morgiah

    Princess Morgiah, Aug 4, 2003
  7. Princess Morgiah

    Guest

    "Princess Morgiah" <> wrote in message news:<xEjWa.43774$-ops.be>...
    > I have absolutely no idea how to compare these camera's any further than the
    > stated stuff, since I do not know what stuff like lens equivalence or
    > maximum aperture is (still willing to learn though).
    >
    > Any ideas, opinions on both camera's, other camera's I should consider?

    http://digitcamera.tripod.com/

    , Aug 5, 2003