Which camera for pocket? Sigma DP1?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Viator, Dec 1, 2007.

  1. Viator

    Viator Guest

    Hi all,

    I need a small, durable, good quality camera that I can keep
    in my jacket pocket at all times to capture sudden
    important events and that may include fast-moving objects.
    So, my priorities are:
    - durability
    - smaller size
    - megapixels
    - faster focus

    My price range is less than $500 but I could go up.

    1.
    I have read that the Sigma DP1 will be 14 megapixels, but
    older info seems to say it is only to be 5. Which is it?
    Also, what will the price be?

    2.
    I noticed that some Leica camera are nearly identical to
    Panasonic's, e.g. Leica Digilux 2 = Panasonic DMC LC-1.
    But are the Panasonic cameras as good?

    Thanks.

    Viator, Dec 1, 2007

  2. Viator

    Kinon O'Cann Guest

    "Viator" <> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I need a small, durable, good quality camera that I can keep
    > in my jacket pocket at all times to capture sudden
    > important events and that may include fast-moving objects.

    I don't think there's any pocketable camera capable of capturing fast moving
    objects. They're all pretty slow.

    > So, my priorities are:
    > - durability
    > - smaller size
    > - megapixels
    > - faster focus
    >
    > My price range is less than $500 but I could go up.
    >
    > 1.
    > I have read that the Sigma DP1 will be 14 megapixels, but
    > older info seems to say it is only to be 5. Which is it?
    > Also, what will the price be?

    According to an article on DPReview, that camera just entered alpha testing,
    so it could be a while.

    > 2.
    > I noticed that some Leica camera are nearly identical to
    > Panasonic's, e.g. Leica Digilux 2 = Panasonic DMC LC-1.
    > But are the Panasonic cameras as good?

    Same camera, different label.

    Kinon O'Cann, Dec 1, 2007

  3. Viator

    nospam Guest

    In article
    <>,
    Viator <> wrote:

    > I have read that the Sigma DP1 will be 14 megapixels, but
    > older info seems to say it is only to be 5. Which is it?
    > Also, what will the price be?

    the dp-1 is vaporware.

    sigma just announced they completely scrapped the previous version of
    the dp-1 and are redesigning it (but still keeping the name), with an
    unknown ship date. based on the specs of last years version (some of
    which will be changing), it had a 4.65 megapixel sensor that sigma
    (incorrectly) claimed was 14 megapixels. price estimates for it were
    around $800-$1000. maybe part of the redesign is to hit a lower price
    point.

    nospam, Dec 1, 2007
  4. Viator

    Scott W Guest

    On Dec 1, 5:52 am, Viator <> wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I need a small, durable, good quality camera that I can keep
    > in my jacket pocket at all times to capture sudden
    > important events and that may include fast-moving objects.
    > So, my priorities are:
    > - durability
    > - smaller size
    > - megapixels
    > - faster focus
    >
    > My price range is less than $500 but I could go up.
    >
    > 1.
    > I have read that the Sigma DP1 will be 14 megapixels, but
    > older info seems to say it is only to be 5. Which is it?
    > Also, what will the price be?

    Sigma has a very odd way of counting pixels, they count each one three
    times,
    so there 14 MP would be something just under 5.

    Sigma is having a lot of problems getting the camera to market, it is
    just getting into alfa testing now.

    I would not even think about buying on untill there are some reviews
    out.

    Scott

    Scott W, Dec 1, 2007
  5. Viator

    /dev/null Guest

    "nospam" <> wrote in message
    > In article
    > <>,
    > Viator <> wrote:
    >
    >> I have read that the Sigma DP1 will be 14 megapixels, but
    >> older info seems to say it is only to be 5. Which is it?
    >> Also, what will the price be?

    > the dp-1 is vaporware.

    Wrong, it's Fartware! Like vapourware, but with a smell.

    /dev/null, Dec 1, 2007
  6. Viator

    Rich Guest

    On Dec 1, 11:31 am, Scott W <> wrote:
    > On Dec 1, 5:52 am, Viator <> wrote:
    >

    > > Hi all,

    > > I need a small, durable, good quality camera that I can keep
    > > in my jacket pocket at all times to capture sudden
    > > important events and that may include fast-moving objects.
    > > So, my priorities are:
    > > - durability
    > > - smaller size
    > > - megapixels
    > > - faster focus

    > > My price range is less than $500 but I could go up.

    > > 1.
    > > I have read that the Sigma DP1 will be 14 megapixels, but
    > > older info seems to say it is only to be 5. Which is it?
    > > Also, what will the price be?

    > Sigma has a very odd way of counting pixels, they count each one three
    > times,
    > so there 14 MP would be something just under 5.
    >
    > Sigma is having a lot of problems getting the camera to market, it is
    > just getting into alfa testing now.
    >
    > I would not even think about buying on untill there are some reviews
    > out.
    >
    > Scott

    Actual resolution thanks to not having the kind of image-degrading
    filters as a Bayer camera is that of a 10 megapixel DSLR, or so some
    reviewers have said. That is based on the SD14 DSLR which has the
    same sensor the pocketable thing is supposed to have. Interesting
    thing is, why have they had image problems with it? Is it due to some
    incompatibility with the Foveon sensor and a close-sensor fixed focal
    length lens? Or, would Sigma actually say they had image problems
    when in-fact their market analysis showed that a single focal length
    lens is simply not salable in this camera buyer's climate so they went
    back to create a 3x zoom or something?

    Rich, Dec 1, 2007
  7. Viator

    Marty Fremen Guest

    Rich <> wrote:

    > would Sigma actually say they had image problems
    > when in-fact their market analysis showed that a single focal length
    > lens is simply not salable in this camera buyer's climate so they went
    > back to create a 3x zoom or something?

    The Ricoh GR-D shows that a high quality fixed 28mm lens compact camera is
    saleable, or they wouldn't have brought out a successor GRD-II. After all
    they had already brought out a 3x zoom lens version, the GX100. In
    principle the DP1 is like a GR-D with the added benefit of decent size
    sensor.

    Marty Fremen, Dec 1, 2007
  8. Viator

    Mr. Strat Guest

    In article
    <>,
    Viator <> wrote:

    > 1.
    > I have read that the Sigma DP1 will be 14 megapixels, but
    > older info seems to say it is only to be 5. Which is it?
    > Also, what will the price be?

    Sigma lies about megapixels due to their oddball sensor technology. buy
    a Sigma camera, and you'll be sorry.

    > 2.
    > I noticed that some Leica camera are nearly identical to
    > Panasonic's, e.g. Leica Digilux 2 = Panasonic DMC LC-1.
    > But are the Panasonic cameras as good?

    No.

    Mr. Strat, Dec 1, 2007
  9. Viator

    AKT Guest

    Kinon O'Cann <> wrote:

    : > But are the Panasonic cameras as good?
    : Same camera, different label.

    To be precise: Same hardware, different software. Leica's is pricier
    and said to be better.

    AKT, Dec 2, 2007
  10. Viator

    Mark B. Guest

    "Viator" <> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I need a small, durable, good quality camera that I can keep
    > in my jacket pocket at all times to capture sudden
    > important events and that may include fast-moving objects.
    > So, my priorities are:
    > - durability
    > - smaller size
    > - megapixels
    > - faster focus
    >
    > My price range is less than $500 but I could go up.
    >
    > 1.
    > I have read that the Sigma DP1 will be 14 megapixels, but
    > older info seems to say it is only to be 5. Which is it?
    > Also, what will the price be?

    Why not focus on cameras that are actually available now?

    Mark B., Dec 2, 2007
  11. Viator

    Kinon O'Cann Guest

    "AKT" <> wrote in message
    > Kinon O'Cann <> wrote:
    >

    > : > But are the Panasonic cameras as good?
    > : Same camera, different label.
    >
    > To be precise: Same hardware, different software. Leica's is pricier
    > and said to be better.

    I've yet to see this proved. Samples from both cameras are identical. Only
    difference I can see is the longer warranty.

    Kinon O'Cann, Dec 2, 2007
  12. Viator

    Kinon O'Cann Guest

    "Mr. Strat" <> wrote in message
    > In article
    > <>,
    > Viator <> wrote:
    >
    >> 1.
    >> I have read that the Sigma DP1 will be 14 megapixels, but
    >> older info seems to say it is only to be 5. Which is it?
    >> Also, what will the price be?

    > Sigma lies about megapixels due to their oddball sensor technology. buy
    > a Sigma camera, and you'll be sorry.
    >
    >> 2.
    >> I noticed that some Leica camera are nearly identical to
    >> Panasonic's, e.g. Leica Digilux 2 = Panasonic DMC LC-1.
    >> But are the Panasonic cameras as good?

    > No.

    Same camera, different label. How are the Leicas better?

    Kinon O'Cann, Dec 2, 2007
  13. Marty Fremen wrote:
    > In
    > principle the DP1 is like a GR-D with the added benefit of decent size
    > sensor.

    While not getting caught up in megapixel wars, the DP1 at 4.7 MP was
    simply not going to make it, given all the other issues with the Foveon
    sensor.

    SMS 斯蒂文• å¤, Dec 2, 2007
  14. Viator

    Marty Fremen Guest

    "Kinon O'Cann" <> wrote:

    > "AKT" <> wrote in message
    >> Kinon O'Cann <> wrote:
    >>

    >> : > But are the Panasonic cameras as good? Same camera, different
    >> : > label.
    >>
    >> To be precise: Same hardware, different software. Leica's is pricier
    >> and said to be better.

    > I've yet to see this proved. Samples from both cameras are identical.
    > Only difference I can see is the longer warranty.

    The Leica seems to apply 10% less sharpening at the default settings,
    which reduces the apparent noise slightly. But IIRC you can adjust the
    in-camera sharpening on both cameras so it should be possible to make
    the Panasonic behave like the Leica.

    Some people say the Leica gives slightly different colour rendering but
    I didn't see any difference in the examples I looked at. But perhaps the
    Leica uses lower saturation by default, if so this is almost certainly
    adjustable by the user.

    Marty Fremen, Dec 2, 2007
  15. Viator

    Paul Furman Guest

    Mark B. wrote:
    > "Viator" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> I need a small, durable, good quality camera that I can keep
    >> in my jacket pocket at all times to capture sudden
    >> important events and that may include fast-moving objects.
    >> So, my priorities are:
    >> - durability
    >> - smaller size
    >> - megapixels

    Don't worry here.

    >> - faster focus
    >>
    >> My price range is less than $500 but I could go up.
    >>
    >> 1.
    >> I have read that the Sigma DP1 will be 14 megapixels, but
    >> older info seems to say it is only to be 5. Which is it?
    >> Also, what will the price be?
    >>

    > Why not focus on cameras that are actually available now?

    Nikon D50 used for $400 & a 28mm f/2.8 lens for $230 new though this is
    not pocket sized it's pretty small & fast. Or a D40 & Sigma 30mm f/1.4
    for more $, or a Canon Xt for $500 & 28/2.8 for $170.

    Paul Furman, Dec 3, 2007