Which Cabinet of Dr. Caligari DVD should I buy?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Thor Antrim, Aug 9, 2004.

  1. Thor Antrim

    Thor Antrim Guest

    I've got $20 in my pocket and I'm finally ready to hunt down "The
    Cabinet of Dr. Caligari". Problem is, it's gone public domain and
    there are dozens of versions out there. I've heard good things about
    the Kino print:
    (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...ref=sr_1_3/103-7503919-6180663?v=glance&s=dvd)
    It's supposed to give you a selection between traditional and "modern"
    scores.

    But I've heard better things about the Image Entertainment print:
    (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...ef=sr_1_1/103-7503919-6180663?v=glance&s=dvd),
    which has a commentary track by Mike Budd and a condensed version of
    the film "Genuine". No mention of alternate scores, though...

    And of course the quality of the audio and visuals is important to me,
    but that kinda goes without saying.

    So, what would you guys suggest? I'm the type of person who'd rather
    spend $5 more and know I'll never get cheated into shelling out for
    "special" editions a few years down the line.

    Thor Antrim, Aug 9, 2004

  2. Thor Antrim

    Joe McC Guest

    Personally, I recommend the Chippendale credenza - the rest of his stuff are
    reproductions.........................

    Joe McC, Aug 9, 2004

  3. Thor Antrim

    JWB Guest

    "Thor Antrim" <> wrote in message
    > I've got $20 in my pocket and I'm finally ready to hunt down "The
    > Cabinet of Dr. Caligari". Problem is, it's gone public domain and
    > there are dozens of versions out there. I've heard good things about
    > the Kino print:

    (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00006JMQG/qid=1092003211/sr=
    1-3/ref=sr_1_3/103-7503919-6180663?v=glance&s=dvd)
    > It's supposed to give you a selection between traditional and "modern"
    > scores.
    >
    > But I've heard better things about the Image Entertainment print:

    (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/6305075492/qid=1092003211/sr=
    1-1/ref=sr_1_1/103-7503919-6180663?v=glance&s=dvd),
    > which has a commentary track by Mike Budd and a condensed version of
    > the film "Genuine". No mention of alternate scores, though...

    I have the Image version, and am very happy with it. There is a website out
    there that compares them, and from what I've read other places, it's
    prettymuch a tossup.

    JWB, Aug 9, 2004
  4. Thor Antrim

    Invid Fan Guest

    In article <>, Thor
    Antrim <> wrote:

    > I've got $20 in my pocket and I'm finally ready to hunt down "The
    > Cabinet of Dr. Caligari". Problem is, it's gone public domain and
    > there are dozens of versions out there. I've heard good things about
    > the Kino print:
    >
    > (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00006JMQG/qid=1092003211/sr=1-
    > 3/ref=sr_1_3/103-7503919-6180663?v=glance&s=dvd)
    > It's supposed to give you a selection between traditional and "modern"
    > scores.
    >
    > But I've heard better things about the Image Entertainment print:
    >
    > (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/6305075492/qid=1092003211/sr=1-
    > 1/ref=sr_1_1/103-7503919-6180663?v=glance&s=dvd),
    > which has a commentary track by Mike Budd and a condensed version of
    > the film "Genuine". No mention of alternate scores, though...
    >
    > And of course the quality of the audio and visuals is important to me,
    > but that kinda goes without saying.
    >
    > So, what would you guys suggest? I'm the type of person who'd rather
    > spend $5 more and know I'll never get cheated into shelling out for
    > "special" editions a few years down the line.

    The commentary on the Image version is great, and well worth listening
    to. It uses the best surviving print... there's a translucent line at
    the top of the image in some scenes, but any dvd which doesn't have
    that has cropped the picture.

    -'Deal/No Deal', CHESS

    Invid Fan, Aug 9, 2004
  5. Thor Antrim

    robert gray Guest

    The intertitles on the kino version are far superior.

    robert gray, Aug 9, 2004
  6. Thor Antrim

    Wade365 Guest

    I wish they would put out the surreal 1985 "re-imagining" of Dr. Caligari. I
    used to have it on video tape and haven't seen it available since!

    Wade365, Aug 9, 2004
  7. "Thor Antrim" <> wrote in message
    > I've got $20 in my pocket and I'm finally ready to hunt down "The
    > Cabinet of Dr. Caligari". Problem is, it's gone public domain and
    > there are dozens of versions out there. I've heard good things about
    > the Kino print:

    I'd give the Kino edition the edge, but the Image version is still quite
    good and will do just as well.

    Cheers,

    Brian Christgau, Aug 9, 2004