    A friend wants to know whether he should consider the LG GSA-4166B or
    would he be better to consider either of the two above? That would
    only get light use.

    GraB, Jul 31, 2006

  2. On Mon, 31 Jul 2006 23:28:17 +1200, GraB <> wrote:

    >I am considering a drive to add to my Lite-On SOHW-832S and am tossing
    >up between the Lite-On 160P6S, or BenQ DW1650. (Isn't the 160P6S
    >based on the BenQ DW1650 with 'learning mode'?) The only review I can
    >find on the Lite-On drive was dated from February and new firmware
    >could have changed things a lot since then. I have seen good review
    >of the BenQ. My main requirement is good writing quality (speed not
    >an issue) and good DVD reading ability.
    >
    >A friend wants to know whether he should consider the LG GSA-4166B or
    >would he be better to consider either of the two above? That would
    >only get light use.

    LG 4166 are the lightscribe drives. They require special media to
    print on top of the media using these drives.

    LIGHSCRIBE Printable media
    - : (Printing Time)
    - : 1070TPI * 12cm Entire Disc less than 36 minutes
    - : 800TPI * 12cm Entire Disc less than 28 minutes
    - : 530TPI * 12cm Entire Disc less than 20 minutes

    LightScribe printing is far to slow and not in the same class of a
    print done on a CD capable printer. LightScribe printing takes far to
    long to even bother with, where a CD Printer takes about a minute if
    that.

    The LG H10 ones are the latest drives and might even be the cheapest
    these days.

    I prefer the latest Sony DWG120A drives for all round ability.
    For low PIE rates then the Pioneer are still the lowest but their
    latest Pioneer 111D drives only burn 16X at 16X for about half the
    brands of 16X speed media out there. The older Pioneer 109 drives burn
    to more brands of 16X media.

    The LG drives have a higher PIE than the Sony DVD burners with good
    quality media that is, not that it matters to much as all three are
    well within the PIE standard of 280 on good quality media.

    What I like about the Sony drives is that the firmware can burn to
    most 16X media at 16X. CDR burning is also faster on this drive even
    set at 40X over the LG's or Pioneers at 40X. When I do a recording on
    my Panasonic recorder it only takes a few minutes to transfer the
    video to the hard drive via the Sony drive where the Pioneer or LG's
    take a lot longer. Some may get slower or faster speeds depending on
    the computer system.

    The Sony drives can also be used to test media like the BenQ drives
    can. The latest BenQ are the 1670 models.

    SalesMart.com.au
    Perth, Western Australia
    http://www.salesmart.com.au
    Email Contact info on the above site.

    SalesMart.com.au, Jul 31, 2006

  3. GraB

    Brendan Guest

    On Mon, 31 Jul 2006 23:28:17 +1200, GraB wrote:

    > I am considering a drive to add to my Lite-On SOHW-832S and am tossing
    > up between the Lite-On 160P6S, or BenQ DW1650. (Isn't the 160P6S
    > based on the BenQ DW1650 with 'learning mode'?) The only review I can
    > find on the Lite-On drive was dated from February and new firmware
    > could have changed things a lot since then. I have seen good review
    > of the BenQ. My main requirement is good writing quality (speed not
    > an issue) and good DVD reading ability.
    >
    > A friend wants to know whether he should consider the LG GSA-4166B or
    > would he be better to consider either of the two above? That would
    > only get light use.

    There is also a recent Samsung model that does very well in the reviews. I
    notice Noel Leeming has them for $100 or so.

    --

    .... Brendan

    #365072 +(4643)- [X]

    <xxxGirlygirlxxx> Thank you for listening to me.
    <xxxGirlygirlxxx> You know your a really good listener.
    <xxxGirlygirlxxx> Sweety please say something.
    <Sandaedar> Ok I'm back.

    Note: All my comments are copyright 31/07/2006 11:54:33 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, Jul 31, 2006
  4. GraB

    GraB Guest

    On Mon, 31 Jul 2006 12:10:14 GMT, sales@___Email_Address_on_Web_site
    (SalesMart.com.au) wrote:

    >On Mon, 31 Jul 2006 23:28:17 +1200, GraB <> wrote:
    >
    >>I am considering a drive to add to my Lite-On SOHW-832S and am tossing
    >>up between the Lite-On 160P6S, or BenQ DW1650. (Isn't the 160P6S
    >>based on the BenQ DW1650 with 'learning mode'?) The only review I can
    >>find on the Lite-On drive was dated from February and new firmware
    >>could have changed things a lot since then. I have seen good review
    >>of the BenQ. My main requirement is good writing quality (speed not
    >>an issue) and good DVD reading ability.
    >>
    >>A friend wants to know whether he should consider the LG GSA-4166B or
    >>would he be better to consider either of the two above? That would
    >>only get light use.

    >LG 4166 are the lightscribe drives. They require special media to
    >print on top of the media using these drives.
    >
    >LIGHSCRIBE Printable media
    >- : (Printing Time)
    >- : 1070TPI * 12cm Entire Disc less than 36 minutes
    >- : 800TPI * 12cm Entire Disc less than 28 minutes
    >- : 530TPI * 12cm Entire Disc less than 20 minutes
    >
    >LightScribe printing is far to slow and not in the same class of a
    >print done on a CD capable printer. LightScribe printing takes far to
    >long to even bother with, where a CD Printer takes about a minute if
    >that.
    >
    >The LG H10 ones are the latest drives and might even be the cheapest
    >these days.
    >
    >I prefer the latest Sony DWG120A drives for all round ability.
    >For low PIE rates then the Pioneer are still the lowest but their
    >latest Pioneer 111D drives only burn 16X at 16X for about half the
    >brands of 16X speed media out there. The older Pioneer 109 drives burn
    >to more brands of 16X media.
    >
    >The LG drives have a higher PIE than the Sony DVD burners with good
    >quality media that is, not that it matters to much as all three are
    >well within the PIE standard of 280 on good quality media.
    >
    >What I like about the Sony drives is that the firmware can burn to
    >most 16X media at 16X. CDR burning is also faster on this drive even
    >set at 40X over the LG's or Pioneers at 40X. When I do a recording on
    >my Panasonic recorder it only takes a few minutes to transfer the
    >video to the hard drive via the Sony drive where the Pioneer or LG's
    >take a lot longer. Some may get slower or faster speeds depending on
    >the computer system.
    >
    >The Sony drives can also be used to test media like the BenQ drives
    >can. The latest BenQ are the 1670 models.

    Yes, OK about the LGs but what about the other two drives? The BenQ
    1670 is newer but uses an inferior chip, from what I have heard and
    isn't as good as the 1650.

    On good quality media my old 832S achieves well under 280, mostly not
    exceeding 20 avg, so I guess the newer drives would be OK too?

    GraB, Jul 31, 2006
  5. On Tue, 01 Aug 2006 02:14:54 +1200, GraB <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 31 Jul 2006 12:10:14 GMT, sales@___Email_Address_on_Web_site
    >(SalesMart.com.au) wrote:
    >
    >>On Mon, 31 Jul 2006 23:28:17 +1200, GraB <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I am considering a drive to add to my Lite-On SOHW-832S and am tossing
    >>>up between the Lite-On 160P6S, or BenQ DW1650. (Isn't the 160P6S
    >>>based on the BenQ DW1650 with 'learning mode'?) The only review I can
    >>>find on the Lite-On drive was dated from February and new firmware
    >>>could have changed things a lot since then. I have seen good review
    >>>of the BenQ. My main requirement is good writing quality (speed not
    >>>an issue) and good DVD reading ability.
    >>>
    >>>A friend wants to know whether he should consider the LG GSA-4166B or
    >>>would he be better to consider either of the two above? That would
    >>>only get light use.

    >>LG 4166 are the lightscribe drives. They require special media to
    >>print on top of the media using these drives.
    >>
    >>LIGHSCRIBE Printable media
    >>- : (Printing Time)
    >>- : 1070TPI * 12cm Entire Disc less than 36 minutes
    >>- : 800TPI * 12cm Entire Disc less than 28 minutes
    >>- : 530TPI * 12cm Entire Disc less than 20 minutes
    >>
    >>LightScribe printing is far to slow and not in the same class of a
    >>print done on a CD capable printer. LightScribe printing takes far to
    >>long to even bother with, where a CD Printer takes about a minute if
    >>that.
    >>
    >>The LG H10 ones are the latest drives and might even be the cheapest
    >>these days.
    >>
    >>I prefer the latest Sony DWG120A drives for all round ability.
    >>For low PIE rates then the Pioneer are still the lowest but their
    >>latest Pioneer 111D drives only burn 16X at 16X for about half the
    >>brands of 16X speed media out there. The older Pioneer 109 drives burn
    >>to more brands of 16X media.
    >>
    >>The LG drives have a higher PIE than the Sony DVD burners with good
    >>quality media that is, not that it matters to much as all three are
    >>well within the PIE standard of 280 on good quality media.
    >>
    >>What I like about the Sony drives is that the firmware can burn to
    >>most 16X media at 16X. CDR burning is also faster on this drive even
    >>set at 40X over the LG's or Pioneers at 40X. When I do a recording on
    >>my Panasonic recorder it only takes a few minutes to transfer the
    >>video to the hard drive via the Sony drive where the Pioneer or LG's
    >>take a lot longer. Some may get slower or faster speeds depending on
    >>the computer system.
    >>
    >>The Sony drives can also be used to test media like the BenQ drives
    >>can. The latest BenQ are the 1670 models.

    >Yes, OK about the LGs but what about the other two drives? The BenQ
    >1670 is newer but uses an inferior chip, from what I have heard and
    >isn't as good as the 1650.

    BenQ Australia won't sell the BenQ DVD burners here.
    There are a few that do import them. I bought a BenQ 1640A a while
    back. It does tests for PIE/POF and the jitter rates. Its not a drive
    I'd be selling as there is no Australia wide warranty coverage like
    the LG and Sony drives and I found that the PIE/POF were higher than
    these other brands.

    >On good quality media my old 832S achieves well under 280, mostly not
    >exceeding 20 avg, so I guess the newer drives would be OK too?

    Some may give a low PIE but due to media thickness being to thin they
    do tend to have DVD video playback problems.

    If a good brand of media has a PIE of 10 or 280 then that is all that
    matters. Even a PIE of 300 maybe OK.

    If I was given a choice between a Pioneer 109, 110 or 111.
    I'd go for the 109 every time. Pity they are no longer available.
    I own two of these myself along with a 110 drive and many other brands
    of DVD burners.

    Many testing labs test for the following.

    PIE - Parity Inner Error.
    PIF - Parity Inner Failure.
    POF - Parity Outer Failure.
    Jitter percentage.

    Sony DWG120A
    Aurora DVD-R 8X.
    PIE AV - 7.16
    PIE MAX - 30

    Pioneer 109
    Orion DVD-R 16X.
    PIE AV - 1.41
    PIE MAX - 16

    Standard for PIE is 280, so anything below this is good.
    Jitter rates anything below 11% is good.

    Some drives and different software programs will give different
    results. Firmware is important too. I've done hundreds of test burns
    with each new speed of media along with firmware and Nero updates.
    I doubt if I'll do much more testing. Can't see any faster speed media
    any time soon. Plus they seem to be moving towards Blu-Ray and HD-DVD
    now. All that is likely to happen with DVD burners in the future is
    faster re write speeds and maybe they'll add HD media read
    capabilities on DVD burners in the future. Current HD burners cost to
    much.

    The three drives I tend to be looking at would be the Pioneer, Sony or
    LG. They fall within the standards when burning to good brands of
    media. I feel Sony are the best all round drive for now. BenQ 1650
    maybe OK but as I own the 1640A I don't think I'd be moving up to a
    newer BenQ drive any time soon.

    Each to their own of course.

    Plextor PX-760 has their fan base too. To expensive for me and the
    drives burn to slowly on DVD-R 16X speed media. Burn speeds are from 7
    to 8 minutes which is 8X to 12X burning speeds on these 18X DVD
    Burners. More at:
    http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/Reviews/Specific.aspx?ArticleId=16587&PageId=8

    The above link also has reviews on the latest other brands of DVD
    burners which you maybe interested in.

    SalesMart.com.au, Jul 31, 2006
  6. On Tue, 01 Aug 2006 02:14:54 +1200, GraB <> wrote:

> [...]

    >>What I like about the Sony drives is that the firmware can burn to
    >>most 16X media at 16X. CDR burning is also faster on this drive even
    >>set at 40X over the LG's or Pioneers at 40X. When I do a recording on
    >>my Panasonic recorder it only takes a few minutes to transfer the
    >>video to the hard drive via the Sony drive where the Pioneer or LG's
    >>take a lot longer. Some may get slower or faster speeds depending on
    >>the computer system.
    >>
    >>The Sony drives can also be used to test media like the BenQ drives
    >>can. The latest BenQ are the 1670 models.

    >Yes, OK about the LGs but what about the other two drives? The BenQ
    >1670 is newer but uses an inferior chip, from what I have heard and
    >isn't as good as the 1650.
    >
    >On good quality media my old 832S achieves well under 280, mostly not
    >exceeding 20 avg, so I guess the newer drives would be OK too?

    Sony DWG120A - Firmware MYR3
    Aurora DVD-R 8X.
    PIE AV - 7.16
    PIE MAX - 30

    Pioneer 110D - Firmware 1.39
    Aurora DVD-R 8X.
    PIE AV - 0.97
    PIE MAX - 13

    As you can see the Pioneer have lower PIE but really its hardly worth
    worrying about as its well below the PIE standard for DVD media of
    280. The Sony gives me DVD-RAM read/write support and is very fast as
    moving video to the harddrive of the computer and its CDR burning is
    so much faster so for me its the Sony over the Pioneer.

    Pioneer 110D drives do have firmware 1.41 that has been out for some
    time. Firmware 1.39 works fine so I have no need to move up.

    Having a look at a supplier that does sell the BenQ 1650 drives is
    that the retail kit boxes are the same price as the OEM's.
    BenQ are one of the very few drives that checks for everything in
    PIE/PIF/POF/Jitter.

    I own the BenQ 1640 and hardly ever use it because its not as good as
    the other drives. I may look at the 1650 but it doesn't even support
    DVD-RAM which most people want with their drives.

    Anyway here is the info on the BenQ 1650 drives.
    =========
    BenQ 1650
    Features such as BenQ's exclusive Write Right Technology ensures every
    bit of your data is written at the best possible quality while the
    Dual Cooling System (DCS) accelerates the circulation inside the drive
    and redirects the heat flow out of the steel housing. BenQ's latest
    exclusive SolidBurn Technology now further enhances writing
    performance and speed while producing the best possible quality as a
    result.

    Fast reading and writing speeds and a generous software bundle tops
    off this already impressive package
    DVD+R speed 16X Writing, 8X Rewriting, 16X Reading DVD-R speed 16X
    Writing, 6X Rewriting, 16X Reading Double Layer DVD+R speed 8X Writing
    Double Layer DVD-R speed 4x Writing CD speed 48X Writing,32X
    Rewriting,48X Reading Powerful and user friendly burning tool BenQ
    exclusive QSuite software BenQ exclusive SolidBurn Technology
    =========

    If I was buying a new drive I'd still go for the Sony DWG120A models.
    Each to their own.

    SalesMart.com.au, Jul 31, 2006
  7. GraB

    Guest

    On Mon, 31 Jul 2006 19:10:54 GMT, sales@___Email_Address_on_Web_site
    (SalesMart.com.au) wrote:

    >On Tue, 01 Aug 2006 02:14:54 +1200, GraB <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Mon, 31 Jul 2006 12:10:14 GMT, sales@___Email_Address_on_Web_site
    >>(SalesMart.com.au) wrote:
    >>
    >>>On Mon, 31 Jul 2006 23:28:17 +1200, GraB <> wrote:
    >>>

    >If I was buying a new drive I'd still go for the Sony DWG120A models.
    >Each to their own.

    Yes made by LiteOn..

    >SalesMart.com.au
    >Perth, Western Australia
    >http://www.salesmart.com.au
    >Email Contact info on the above site.

    , Jul 31, 2006
  8. GraB

    (SalesMart.com.au) wrote:

    >On Tue, 01 Aug 2006 02:14:54 +1200, GraB <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Mon, 31 Jul 2006 12:10:14 GMT, sales@___Email_Address_on_Web_site
    >>(SalesMart.com.au) wrote:
    >>
    >>>On Mon, 31 Jul 2006 23:28:17 +1200, GraB <> wrote:
    >>>

    >If I was buying a new drive I'd still go for the Sony DWG120A models.
    >Each to their own.

    Yes made by LiteOn..

    Plus Sony do not update there firmware very often..

    >SalesMart.com.au
    >Perth, Western Australia
    >http://www.salesmart.com.au
    >Email Contact info on the above site.

    , Jul 31, 2006
  9. GraB

    Colinco Guest

    Re: Which burner: LG GSA-4166B, Lite-On 160P6S, or BenQ DW1650 ?

    GraB wrote:
    > I am considering a drive to add to my Lite-On SOHW-832S and am tossing
    > up between the Lite-On 160P6S, or BenQ DW1650. (Isn't the 160P6S
    > based on the BenQ DW1650 with 'learning mode'?)

    The Liteon is still based on the Mediatek chipset where the Benq 1650
    is based on a Philips chip. I went with a Liteon 165P6S because you can
    easily reset the region change counters without needing hacked
    firmware. One less potential hassle. Strange that Sony's partner is one
    of the easiest to bypass RPC2 on.

    Colinco, Jul 31, 2006
  10. GraB

    ~misfit~ Guest

    SalesMart.com.au wrote:

    <snip>

    > If I was given a choice between a Pioneer 109, 110 or 111.
    > I'd go for the 109 every time. Pity they are no longer available.
    > I own two of these myself along with a 110 drive and many other brands
    > of DVD burners.

    <snip>

    > The three drives I tend to be looking at would be the Pioneer, Sony or
    > LG. They fall within the standards when burning to good brands of
    > media.

    I have a Pioneer 110 and was considering "upgrading" it to a 111 as I really
    like the 110 and have a brother who'd like a DVD writer but would rather
    have a second-hand one. Of course I thought the 111 would be better than the
    110, being newer.

    I contacted my supplier and he said "DON'T DO IT!!!". Apparently the 110 is
    far superior to the111 and the 110 is no longer available (from the
    supplier) in NZ, he gets requests for them all the time. From reading
    CDFreaks I didn't get the impression that the 109 was all *that* much beter
    than the 110. In fact they didn't say it was superior at all (from memory).
    They said that the 110, with the latest firmware, was a great drive and gave
    it their 'award'. (The 110 was made in Japan, the 111 in China).
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Aug 1, 2006
  11. GraB

    ~misfit~ Guest

    SalesMart.com.au wrote:

    <snip>

    > Pioneer 110D drives do have firmware 1.41 that has been out for some
    > time. Firmware 1.39 works fine so I have no need to move up.

    Hey there, Mr. Mart,

    I have a Pioneer DVR-110D sourced and purchased in NZ. It was around 30%
    dearer than most other common brands at the time and only came as an OEM
    model, in a plastic bag. I had read write-ups from overseas sites and they
    all showed the 110D as being a very useful drive, (especially with the
    introduction of 1.39 firmware) and also able to read and write DVD-RAM.

    (For instance: http://www.cdfreaks.com/article/243 )

    However Nero InfoTool tells me that mine doesn't (and I don't have a RAM
    disc to test it, can't afford to buy one if it's not going to work, they
    ain't cheap). Also, the pics of the drive on overseas sites are different to
    mine, the drive having a different bezel on it with the words "Multi
    Recorder" on. Mine doesn't have that.

    A while back I registered with Pioneer.com.au and they sent me a friendy
    email a month or so later when firmware 1.39 was released but I didn't get a
    notification for 1.41. I see 1.41 isn't listed on the .au site (that I can
    see) but I've downloaded it from the .uk site (but haven't flashed it yet as
    it's irreversible). Ok, 1.41 isn't as extensive an upgrade as 1.39 was but I
    still thought they'd notify me.

    Question: Does your 110D read/write DVD-RAM? Does it have the "Multi
    Recorder" logo on the bezel? I find it quite strange that Pioneer would
    release a different drive for NZ (and perhaps Aus) to the drive that they
    sell to the rest of the world, yet call it by the same model number.

    Actually, just looked on the Pioneer UK site and, while the 110D specs page
    has been removed, the one small pic I can see of it seems to have the same
    bezel as mine. Of course that doesn't mean it doesn't or doesn't read/write
    DVD-RAM. Also, in the 'changelog' for the 1.39 firmware that I installed on
    my drive way back it stated "DVD-RAM readability has improved".

    Can you shed any light on this for me?

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Aug 1, 2006
  12. GraB

    ken Guest

    On Tue, 01 Aug 2006 08:20:43 +1200, wrote:

    >On Mon, 31 Jul 2006 19:10:54 GMT, sales@___Email_Address_on_Web_site
    >(SalesMart.com.au) wrote:
    >
    >>On Tue, 01 Aug 2006 02:14:54 +1200, GraB <> wrote:

    >>If I was buying a new drive I'd still go for the Sony DWG120A models.
    >>Each to their own.

    >Yes made by LiteOn..

    Or benq or optodisc.
    Pc user mag had a review on them last year and said that sony firmware
    was far better than that of the liteon drives.

    >Plus Sony do not update there firmware very often..

    What rot. Sony update much more frequently than liteon does and
    according to the pc user mag they thought liteon should hire the sony
    program developers to design firmware for the liteon drives.

    ken, Aug 1, 2006
  13. On Tue, 01 Aug 2006 08:20:43 +1200, wrote:

    >Plus Sony do not update there firmware very often..

    They use to be quite slow but there more recent drives they update
    quite quickly. Their drives on release had good firmware and they
    moved up to a newer version soon after. There maybe a newer version
    out now, not that it matters to me as I get very good burns now.

    Only upgrade the firmware if there are some problems.

    SalesMart.com.au, Aug 1, 2006
  14. GraB

    Guest

    On Tue, 01 Aug 2006 04:25:59 GMT, ken <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 01 Aug 2006 08:20:43 +1200, wrote:
    >
    >>On Mon, 31 Jul 2006 19:10:54 GMT, sales@___Email_Address_on_Web_site
    >>(SalesMart.com.au) wrote:

    >>>If I was buying a new drive I'd still go for the Sony DWG120A models.
    >>>Each to their own.

    >>Yes made by LiteOn..

    >Or benq or optodisc.
    >Pc user mag had a review on them last year and said that sony firmware
    >was far better than that of the liteon drives.

    No LiteOn.

    >>Plus Sony do not update there firmware very often..

    >What rot. Sony update much more frequently than liteon does and
    >according to the pc user mag they thought liteon should hire the sony
    >program developers to design firmware for the liteon drives.

    PC User mag is Utter Crap I should know as I used to get it, so full of Flaws

    , Aug 1, 2006
  15. GraB

    Sticky Guest

    GraB wrote:
    > I am considering a drive to add to my Lite-On SOHW-832S and am tossing
    > up between the Lite-On 160P6S, or BenQ DW1650. (Isn't the 160P6S
    > based on the BenQ DW1650 with 'learning mode'?) The only review I can
    > find on the Lite-On drive was dated from February and new firmware
    > could have changed things a lot since then. I have seen good review
    > of the BenQ. My main requirement is good writing quality (speed not
    > an issue) and good DVD reading ability.
    >
    > A friend wants to know whether he should consider the LG GSA-4166B or
    > would he be better to consider either of the two above? That would
    > only get light use.

    Don't go past a late model Pioneer, I've had a DVR100 now a DVR 110D.
    They have been *very reliable and good performers. The write quality is
    2nd to none.

    I've had several other brands which have all given problems from time to
    time.

    I also have an old LiteOn DVD-RW that is region free :)

    --
    Jim

    Sticky, Aug 1, 2006
  16. GraB

    Sticky Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > SalesMart.com.au wrote:
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    >> Pioneer 110D drives do have firmware 1.41 that has been out for some
    >> time. Firmware 1.39 works fine so I have no need to move up.

    snip

    > Question: Does your 110D read/write DVD-RAM? Does it have the "Multi
    > Recorder" logo on the bezel? I find it quite strange that Pioneer would
    > release a different drive for NZ (and perhaps Aus) to the drive that they
    > sell to the rest of the world, yet call it by the same model number.

    snip
    > Can you shed any light on this for me?

    I had a similar experience to yours, I got all hung up on the fact that
    the 110D which I thought would write DVD-RAM doesn't. Mine too was an
    OEM drive from PB Tech. It was a good buy. It doesn't have "multi
    recorder" on the bezel.

    It's all to do with the "D". The 110 does DVD-RAM, the 110D doesn't.

    http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/Reviews/Specific.aspx?ArticleId=14845

    (for the full guff - NB : The little table)

    The 110D is such a good writer that I've lost interest in the lack of
    DVD-RAM writes.

    --
    Jim

    Sticky, Aug 1, 2006
  17. GraB

    Groucho Guest

    "GraB" <> wrote in message
    >I am considering a drive to add to my Lite-On SOHW-832S and am tossing
    > up between the Lite-On 160P6S, or BenQ DW1650. (Isn't the 160P6S
    > based on the BenQ DW1650 with 'learning mode'?) The only review I can
    > find on the Lite-On drive was dated from February and new firmware
    > could have changed things a lot since then. I have seen good review
    > of the BenQ. My main requirement is good writing quality (speed not
    > an issue) and good DVD reading ability.
    >
    > A friend wants to know whether he should consider the LG GSA-4166B or
    > would he be better to consider either of the two above? That would
    > only get light use.

    After reading all the current posts, here's my take, FWIW.

    DW1650 is far superior to DW1670 which uses Panasonic chipset to bring
    DVD-RAM support. You lose scanning ability and burns are poor in comparison
    to 1640/1650. Also, I don't think the DW1670 has made an appearance in aus
    as yet, except as a Sony clone in the DRU820A. The major attraction of the
    DW1650 is it's learning/scanning abilities. Wrting quality can vary drive to
    drive as it did with the DW1640. I have 2x DW1640 and 1x DW1650 and my
    DW1650 is rubbish in comparion to previous models I have. I suspect I got a
    dud and that Colin from SalesMart may have also got a dud in his DW1640
    which influences opinion as reviews/burns/tests are usually very good to
    excellent on both drives. Perhaps luck of the draw as to whether you get one
    that behaves as it should. Pros, pre DW1670 based models: Learning and
    adaptive writing strategy ability, PI/PIF/JITTER scanning ability,
    Bitsetting of booktype on all +R variants, TE/FE scanning ability via Qsuite
    software. Cons: Quality/build control varies.

    Sony DWQ-120A = LiteOn SHW-160P6S and Sony DWG-120A = LiteOn SHM-165P6S. The
    Sony's have inferior packaged bundles to the LiteOn models and firmware is
    also better and more frequently updated on the LiteOn models. The LiteOn
    firmwares also give you more control over inbuilt features via software such
    as SmartBurn to enable "Online Hyper Tuning" etc. The price difference is
    generally also in LiteOn's favour. The difference between the two is DVD-RAM
    support in the latter models. There's another model the "SHM-165H6S" which
    also brings LightScribe functions to the drive. In short there's nothing
    really to recommend the Sony over the LiteOn. Pros (may vary as to whether
    Sony or LiteOn model: PI/PIF Scanning, Great range of user tools/programs
    including ability to change RPC status, Learning and adaptive writing
    strategies, Auto Bitsetting on all +R media, Regular firmware updates.
    Cons: -R write quality can be iffy with some MID's, Some duds on shelves
    just as BenQ (I had to return my first SHM-165P6S as it was faulty).

    LG's have generally been very good drives. Especially ones that use the
    "Renesas" chipsets such as 4163B, 4167B,.H10A, H10N. The 4166B and other
    LightScribe enabled models however use a Panasonic chipset. The 4166B has
    also now been superceded in some markets. Pros: DVD-RAM support on all
    models, very fast burning, good range of media support, aesthetically good
    looking. Cons: No PI/PIF scanning ability on any LG drive, No learning or
    adaptive write strategy, Firmware improvements/updates infrequent, LG's
    continued aim to burn media faster than any other brand/drive can in some
    cases be too ambitious and produce poor 16x burns on some MID's.

    Pioneer 111D shaping up to be a really great drive. Pros: Good to excellent
    burns on most -R MID's, Large user base and support to draw from, regular
    firmware updates, simplicity, build quality. Cons: Lacks adaptive writing
    strategy other drives have, no learning ability, lack of bitsetting support
    to change booktype on SL+R media, no DVD-RAM support, no LiteScribe support,
    erroneous and untrustworthy PI/PIF scanning ability, +R support could be
    better. Summary: A very good drive to choose if you just want to burn
    mostly -R media and not get involved with or care about
    adaptive/learning/scanning ability some drives offer. Some of the missing
    features howevercan be enabled by crossflashing to other drives/models
    firmware, though it will void warranty.

    If you want every feature and ability there is only really one drive to
    consider atm and that's the LiteOn SHM-165H6S. If you care little about
    LightScribe or DVD-RAM support then toss a coin between a Lite-On 160P6S, or
    BenQ DW1650 and hope you get a good one. The LiteOn however in my experience
    does have a slight edge in being a better reader/ripper than the BenQ and if
    you care about doing PI/PIF scanning it's more neutral in results when
    scanning media burnt on other burners, whereas the BenQ can give some weird/
    misleading results when it scans burns from some other burners.

    The LG 4166B I wouldn't consider myself as I don't like Panasonic chipset
    based drives, based on reviews I've read of drives that use Panasonic
    chipsets. Research for yourself though may find this drive to be fine. I
    have no problem in recommending the GSA - H10N or Pioneer 111D depending on
    need or otherwise for DVD-RAM support and whether or not you burn a lot of
    +R media. Both burners are excellent but feature/ability list is reduced
    compared to other brands/models often selling around similar price. Just sum
    up what features/abilities you want and the choice shouldn't be too
    difficult to make.

    Groucho, Aug 1, 2006
  18. GraB

    GraB Guest

    On Tue, 1 Aug 2006 17:39:29 +1000, "Groucho" <>
    wrote:

> [...]

    >does have a slight edge in being a better reader/ripper than the BenQ and if
    >you care about doing PI/PIF scanning it's more neutral in results when
    >scanning media burnt on other burners, whereas the BenQ can give some weird/
    >misleading results when it scans burns from some other burners.
    >
    >The LG 4166B I wouldn't consider myself as I don't like Panasonic chipset
    >based drives, based on reviews I've read of drives that use Panasonic
    >chipsets. Research for yourself though may find this drive to be fine. I
    >have no problem in recommending the GSA - H10N or Pioneer 111D depending on
    >need or otherwise for DVD-RAM support and whether or not you burn a lot of
    >+R media. Both burners are excellent but feature/ability list is reduced
    >compared to other brands/models often selling around similar price. Just sum
    >up what features/abilities you want and the choice shouldn't be too

    Thanks for your very informative and useful reply.

    GraB, Aug 1, 2006
  19. GraB

    ken Guest

    On Tue, 01 Aug 2006 18:56:02 +1200, wrote:

    >On Tue, 01 Aug 2006 04:25:59 GMT, ken <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Tue, 01 Aug 2006 08:20:43 +1200, wrote:

    >>>Yes made by LiteOn..

    >>Or benq or optodisc.
    >>Pc user mag had a review on them last year and said that sony firmware
    >>was far better than that of the liteon drives.

    >No LiteOn.

    Just because it has a liteon chip in it does not make the whole drive
    made by liteon. Pioneer use nec chips, does not make them made by nec.

    The kids pc has a liteon in it and a sony. They are not the same.
    Different faces to them and both do things differently. Eg. The
    liteons do more error by a massive factor where the sony drives are
    better than the pioneers.

    >>>Plus Sony do not update there firmware very often..

    >>What rot. Sony update much more frequently than liteon does and
    >>according to the pc user mag they thought liteon should hire the sony
    >>program developers to design firmware for the liteon drives.

    >PC User mag is Utter Crap I should know as I used to get it, so full of Flaws

    I see you have cross posted this to a nz group.
    Pc user in nz probably is crap. The Aussie pc user mag is very good.
    Get over yourself.

    ken, Aug 1, 2006
  20. GraB

    ken Guest

    On Tue, 01 Aug 2006 19:14:07 +1200, Sticky <>
    wrote:

    >GraB wrote:
    >> I am considering a drive to add to my Lite-On SOHW-832S and am tossing
    >> up between the Lite-On 160P6S, or BenQ DW1650. (Isn't the 160P6S
    >> based on the BenQ DW1650 with 'learning mode'?) The only review I can
    >> find on the Lite-On drive was dated from February and new firmware
    >> could have changed things a lot since then. I have seen good review
    >> of the BenQ. My main requirement is good writing quality (speed not
    >> an issue) and good DVD reading ability.
    >>
    >> A friend wants to know whether he should consider the LG GSA-4166B or
    >> would he be better to consider either of the two above? That would
    >> only get light use.

    >Don't go past a late model Pioneer, I've had a DVR100 now a DVR 110D.
    >They have been *very reliable and good performers. The write quality is
    >2nd to none.

    There is no pioneer 100. So you've owned something that has never
    existed. I doubt you own any burner at all and one of these trolls
    that wonder from group to group.

    ken, Aug 1, 2006