Which Budget Router Is Best For TelstraClear ?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by lloyd_scott@yahoo.com, Apr 7, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Hi Guys

    I've just been upgraded to broadband on Paradise. The technician has
    left me with a Motorola Surfboard Cable modem but offered me no help in
    connecting it to my basic (Excel) ethernet switch on my home network.

    I'm not that smart with network configuration but my reading of this
    newsgroup (and others) leads me to believe that, if I want to share
    this modem between PCs on my LAN, I should be investing in a router
    with firewall protection.

    I don't have a lot of spare cash so I'm looking for advice on some
    cost-effective non-wireless routers which would be suitable.
    Preferably I'd like something that doesn't break my budget of $150 and
    is easy to install.

    I'm sure with the push by TelstraClear for their broadband service that
    there will be plenty of novices out there looking for the same help.

    Many thanks

    Lloyd

    , Apr 7, 2006

  2. thingy Guest

    wrote:
    > Hi Guys
    >
    > I've just been upgraded to broadband on Paradise. The technician has
    > left me with a Motorola Surfboard Cable modem but offered me no help in
    > connecting it to my basic (Excel) ethernet switch on my home network.
    >
    > I'm not that smart with network configuration but my reading of this
    > newsgroup (and others) leads me to believe that, if I want to share
    > this modem between PCs on my LAN, I should be investing in a router
    > with firewall protection.
    >
    > I don't have a lot of spare cash so I'm looking for advice on some
    > cost-effective non-wireless routers which would be suitable.
    > Preferably I'd like something that doesn't break my budget of $150 and
    > is easy to install.
    >
    > I'm sure with the push by TelstraClear for their broadband service that
    > there will be plenty of novices out there looking for the same help.
    >
    > Many thanks
    >
    > Lloyd

    Does the cable modem have its own firewall? Without knowing your model
    number....

    I use a Linux firewall.......

    You could get a cheap box (pentium 133 or similar) and build one for <
    $150 but that does involve learning...

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Apr 7, 2006

  3. Boy Wonder Guest

    It's a Motorola S5101 Surfboard Cable modem. I've included a link to
    Motorola site.

    http://broadband.motorola.com/consumers/products/sb5101/

    It doesn't appear to have a firewall built into it.

    Cheers

    Lloyd

    Boy Wonder, Apr 7, 2006
  4. <> wrote in message
    > Hi Guys
    >
    > I've just been upgraded to broadband on Paradise. The technician has
    > left me with a Motorola Surfboard Cable modem but offered me no help in
    > connecting it to my basic (Excel) ethernet switch on my home network.
    >
    > I'm not that smart with network configuration but my reading of this
    > newsgroup (and others) leads me to believe that, if I want to share
    > this modem between PCs on my LAN, I should be investing in a router
    > with firewall protection.
    >
    > I don't have a lot of spare cash so I'm looking for advice on some
    > cost-effective non-wireless routers which would be suitable.
    > Preferably I'd like something that doesn't break my budget of $150 and
    > is easy to install.
    >
    > I'm sure with the push by TelstraClear for their broadband service that
    > there will be plenty of novices out there looking for the same help.

    The cheaper DSE wireless router will work fine - I had one for a week while
    the DLINK (crap) was replaced with a Belkin (my second one, first was just
    router, this is a wi-fi router).

    The Belkin has been up 24/7 for two years now. The previous one was 24/7 for
    about two years as well.

    While you can dol this with some old hardware and Linux as suggested, a
    dedicated router is very small and can be easily concealed. And does not
    make noise.

    --

    Mauricio Freitas
    www.geekzone.co.nz, www.geekzone.co.nz/freitasm,

    Mauricio Freitas [MVP], Apr 7, 2006
  5. >>

    > The cheaper DSE wireless router will work fine - I had one for a week
    > while the DLINK (crap) was replaced with a Belkin (my second one, first
    > was just router, this is a wi-fi router).
    >
    > The Belkin has been up 24/7 for two years now. The previous one was 24/7
    > for about two years as well.
    >
    > While you can dol this with some old hardware and Linux as suggested, a
    > dedicated router is very small and can be easily concealed. And does not
    > make noise.

    I have a DLink and they certainly are crap. At least once a week I have to
    pull the power to the stupid thing because it locks up.

    That used to happen with my older Edimax one, but only about once every 2
    months, which I could put up with.

    One day I'll get around to replacing this DLink rubbish, and put it beside
    the faulty DLink wireless access point that simply lost all it's strength.

    Steve

    Stephen Williams, Apr 7, 2006
  6. ~misfit~ Guest

    Mauricio Freitas [MVP] wrote:
    > <> wrote in message
    >> Hi Guys
    >>
    >> I don't have a lot of spare cash so I'm looking for advice on some
    >> cost-effective non-wireless routers which would be suitable.
    >> Preferably I'd like something that doesn't break my budget of $150
    >> and is easy to install.

    > The cheaper DSE wireless router will work fine

    Does having [MVP] after your name mean you can overlook the 'client's' needs
    and offer what you think is best for them?

    He says "non-wireless" you tell him that a wireless one will work fine.

    Must be something to do with Microsoft thinking.
    --
    ~Shaun~

    ~misfit~, Apr 8, 2006
  7. wrote:
    > Hi Guys
    >
    > I've just been upgraded to broadband on Paradise. The technician has
    > left me with a Motorola Surfboard Cable modem but offered me no help in
    > connecting it to my basic (Excel) ethernet switch on my home network.
    >
    > I'm not that smart with network configuration but my reading of this
    > newsgroup (and others) leads me to believe that, if I want to share
    > this modem between PCs on my LAN, I should be investing in a router
    > with firewall protection.
    >
    > I don't have a lot of spare cash so I'm looking for advice on some
    > cost-effective non-wireless routers which would be suitable.
    > Preferably I'd like something that doesn't break my budget of $150 and
    > is easy to install.
    >
    > I'm sure with the push by TelstraClear for their broadband service that
    > there will be plenty of novices out there looking for the same help.

    Do you know about pricespy ?

    http://www.pricespy.co.nz/cat_18.html#g78

    Useful for saving money, not so useful for deciding which model to buy.

    I too use a linux machine as a firewall, so I can't help you with
    recommendations of good routers. The one I used from Jaycar was hopeless.

    It's probably best to use unreal email addresses on usenet as it is routinely
    scanned en masse by spammers harvesting email addresses and you will be deluged
    in the stuff.

    Mark Robinson, Apr 8, 2006
  8. ~misfit~ Guest

    Boy Wonder wrote:
    > It's a Motorola S5101 Surfboard Cable modem. I've included a link to
    > Motorola site.
    >
    > http://broadband.motorola.com/consumers/products/sb5101/
    >
    > It doesn't appear to have a firewall built into it.
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > Lloyd

    Heh! It gets confusing when you post under two diffrent names in the same
    thread.
    --
    ~Shaun~

    ~misfit~, Apr 8, 2006
  9. shannon Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Mauricio Freitas [MVP] wrote:
    >
    >><> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Hi Guys
    >>>
    >>>I don't have a lot of spare cash so I'm looking for advice on some
    >>>cost-effective non-wireless routers which would be suitable.
    >>>Preferably I'd like something that doesn't break my budget of $150
    >>>and is easy to install.

    >>The cheaper DSE wireless router will work fine

    > Does having [MVP] after your name mean you can overlook the 'client's' needs
    > and offer what you think is best for them?
    >
    > He says "non-wireless" you tell him that a wireless one will work fine.
    >
    > Must be something to do with Microsoft thinking.

    Just think about it before you open your big fat mouth to take a cheap
    shot at someone knowledgeable who makes a helpful suggestion.

    Some all in one routers are so cheap now that the ones with wifi are
    just as cheap as the ones without.
    It'll save him the cost of a $100 access point at a later stage.

    shannon, Apr 8, 2006
  10. shannon Guest

    wrote:
    > Hi Guys
    >
    > I've just been upgraded to broadband on Paradise. The technician has
    > left me with a Motorola Surfboard Cable modem but offered me no help in
    > connecting it to my basic (Excel) ethernet switch on my home network.
    >
    > I'm not that smart with network configuration but my reading of this
    > newsgroup (and others) leads me to believe that, if I want to share
    > this modem between PCs on my LAN, I should be investing in a router
    > with firewall protection.
    >
    > I don't have a lot of spare cash so I'm looking for advice on some
    > cost-effective non-wireless routers which would be suitable.
    > Preferably I'd like something that doesn't break my budget of $150 and
    > is easy to install.
    >
    > I'm sure with the push by TelstraClear for their broadband service that
    > there will be plenty of novices out there looking for the same help.
    >
    > Many thanks
    >
    > Lloyd

    This one at Ascent looks ike good value $78
    http://www.ascent.co.nz/ProductSpecification.aspx?ItemID=342023

    Or you could buy the wifi version, its always good to have the g access
    point built in at $121
    http://www.ascent.co.nz/ProductSpecification.aspx?ItemID=337148

    They are easy to set up, just follow the instructions for the static ip
    and gateway settings that tc gave you.

    shannon, Apr 8, 2006
  11. "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    > Mauricio Freitas [MVP] wrote:
    >> <> wrote in message
    >>> Hi Guys
    >>>
    >>> I don't have a lot of spare cash so I'm looking for advice on some
    >>> cost-effective non-wireless routers which would be suitable.
    >>> Preferably I'd like something that doesn't break my budget of $150
    >>> and is easy to install.

    >> The cheaper DSE wireless router will work fine

    > Does having [MVP] after your name mean you can overlook the 'client's'
    > needs and offer what you think is best for them?
    >
    > He says "non-wireless" you tell him that a wireless one will work fine.
    >
    > Must be something to do with Microsoft thinking.

    I am not a Microsoft employee, checkwhat a MVP is : www.microsoft.com/mvp

    The DSE wireless is the same price (I think) as the non-wireless, so why not
    get it? It comes with four ethernet 100 ports, plus the Wi-Fi capability. If
    the price is very similar, go for it.

    Mauricio Freitas [MVP], Apr 8, 2006
  12. "shannon" <> wrote in message news:4436f8db$...
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> Mauricio Freitas [MVP] wrote:
    >>
    >>><> wrote in message

    >>>The cheaper DSE wireless router will work fine

    >> Does having [MVP] after your name mean you can overlook the 'client's'
    >> needs and offer what you think is best for them?
    >>
    >> He says "non-wireless" you tell him that a wireless one will work fine.
    >>
    >> Must be something to do with Microsoft thinking.

    > Just think about it before you open your big fat mouth to take a cheap
    > shot at someone knowledgeable who makes a helpful suggestion.
    >
    > Some all in one routers are so cheap now that the ones with wifi are just
    > as cheap as the ones without.
    > It'll save him the cost of a $100 access point at a later stage.

    Thanks Shannon, exactly what I thought and that's why I suggested the
    all-in-one DSE - cheaper but with both ethernet and wi-fi capabilities.

    Mauricio Freitas [MVP], Apr 8, 2006
  13. David Guest

    On 7 Apr 2006 13:04:38 -0700, wrote:

    > Hi Guys
    >
    > I've just been upgraded to broadband on Paradise. The technician has
    > left me with a Motorola Surfboard Cable modem but offered me no help in
    > connecting it to my basic (Excel) ethernet switch on my home network.
    >
    > I'm not that smart with network configuration but my reading of this
    > newsgroup (and others) leads me to believe that, if I want to share
    > this modem between PCs on my LAN, I should be investing in a router
    > with firewall protection.
    >
    > I don't have a lot of spare cash so I'm looking for advice on some
    > cost-effective non-wireless routers which would be suitable.
    > Preferably I'd like something that doesn't break my budget of $150 and
    > is easy to install.
    >
    > I'm sure with the push by TelstraClear for their broadband service that
    > there will be plenty of novices out there looking for the same help.
    >
    > Many thanks
    >
    > Lloyd

    For $150 or less there are plenty of off-the-shelf options.

    We have a Linksys WRT54G on our TC cable connection. Just plugged it in,
    did some trivial browser configuration & has been running for over two
    years without missing a beat (hidden away in a cupboard). It includes
    wireless but that part is switched off. Good firewall + VPN endpoint etc.
    Reasonably heavy traffic for a SOHO situation (5 frequent web users). Have
    two network switches downstream of the router (a dozen or more outlets
    plastered around the house!).

    The tech who changed our cable modem to the new model a week or so ago
    happily reconfigured the router, but we could just as easily have done it
    (about 10 sec job).

    Firewall was probably the deciding factor for me. Others will argue that a
    linux machine or similar will provide a stronger firewall, but from my
    experience the better routers provide adequate protection for our
    situation. I doubt you would save much cost using a linux box (dearer if
    need to buy hardware). Power consumption would also be higher - not to
    mention the extra space it would require.

    Not certain if the WRT54G is still available. The Linksys BEFSX41 looks a
    good option - $154 at Ascent but maybe overkill for your situation.

    There are plenty of other cheaper models. Eg the BEFSR41 ($108), or even
    cheaper, such as the LevelOne FBR-1418TX ($79) that 'shannon' mentioned.
    You would need to check the relative merits of the various models.

    As said elsewhere, check Pricespy. No doubt can get one cheaper elsewhere,
    but there are not big bucks involved. I tend to use Ascent for this type
    of item as I have found them very prompt & have gained confidence in them
    over several years.

    We are just up the road from you (letters of yours end in our box on
    occasion - dyslexic postie). You are welcome to look at the set up if it
    helps.

    David

    David, Apr 8, 2006
  14. bambam Guest

    On Fri, 07 Apr 2006 13:04:38 -0700, lloyd_scott wrote:

    > Hi Guys
    >
    > I've just been upgraded to broadband on Paradise. The technician has
    > left me with a Motorola Surfboard Cable modem but offered me no help in
    > connecting it to my basic (Excel) ethernet switch on my home network.
    >
    > I'm not that smart with network configuration but my reading of this
    > newsgroup (and others) leads me to believe that, if I want to share
    > this modem between PCs on my LAN, I should be investing in a router
    > with firewall protection.
    >
    > I don't have a lot of spare cash so I'm looking for advice on some
    > cost-effective non-wireless routers which would be suitable.
    > Preferably I'd like something that doesn't break my budget of $150 and
    > is easy to install.
    >
    > I'm sure with the push by TelstraClear for their broadband service that
    > there will be plenty of novices out there looking for the same help.

    I might be way off here, but I don't understand why you don't just plug
    your modem into the switch and use a software firewall. Save your money
    for beer or something. ;)

    bambam, Apr 8, 2006
  15. Jerry Guest

    bambam wrote:
    > On Fri, 07 Apr 2006 13:04:38 -0700, lloyd_scott wrote:
    >

    >>Hi Guys
    >>
    >>I've just been upgraded to broadband on Paradise. The technician has
    >>left me with a Motorola Surfboard Cable modem but offered me no help in
    >>connecting it to my basic (Excel) ethernet switch on my home network.
    >>
    >>I'm not that smart with network configuration but my reading of this
    >>newsgroup (and others) leads me to believe that, if I want to share
    >>this modem between PCs on my LAN, I should be investing in a router
    >>with firewall protection.
    >>
    >>I don't have a lot of spare cash so I'm looking for advice on some
    >>cost-effective non-wireless routers which would be suitable.
    >>Preferably I'd like something that doesn't break my budget of $150 and
    >>is easy to install.
    >>
    >>I'm sure with the push by TelstraClear for their broadband service that
    >>there will be plenty of novices out there looking for the same help.

    > I might be way off here, but I don't understand why you don't just plug
    > your modem into the switch and use a software firewall. Save your money
    > for beer or something. ;)

    He needs a router to do it. The modem is connected to a different
    network with a fixed IP address. I have a Belkin wireless router that
    has worked fine. It has 4 ethernet ports for the lan plus wireless if
    he decides to go that way in the future.

    Jerry, Apr 8, 2006
  16. ~misfit~ Guest

    Mauricio Freitas [MVP] wrote:
    > "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    >> Mauricio Freitas [MVP] wrote:
    >>> <> wrote in message

    >>> The cheaper DSE wireless router will work fine

    >> Does having [MVP] after your name mean you can overlook the
    >> 'client's' needs and offer what you think is best for them?
    >>
    >> He says "non-wireless" you tell him that a wireless one will work
    >> fine. Must be something to do with Microsoft thinking.

    > I am not a Microsoft employee,

    Never said you were, I've never heard of an MS employee becoming an MVP.

    > checkwhat a MVP is :
    > www.microsoft.com/mvp

    I know what a (sic) MVP is. A person who has been nominated for, and
    recieved, a Gold Star from Microsoft.

    > The DSE wireless is the same price (I think) as the non-wireless, so
    > why not get it? It comes with four ethernet 100 ports, plus the Wi-Fi
    > capability. If the price is very similar, go for it.

    DSE Broadband Router. Cat. No. XH1151 (4 ethernet ports) $68.97 (Clearance)
    DSE ADSL Router. Cat. No. XH1149 (4 Ethernet ports) $91.00 (Clearance)
    DSE 802.11b Broadband Router. Cat No. XH6824 (4 Ethernet ports) $118.00
    (Clearance)

    (It seems they are going out of own-branded routers)

    $50 difference there between cheapest "wired" one and the wireless one.
    --
    ~Shaun~

    ~misfit~, Apr 8, 2006
  17. ~misfit~ Guest

    shannon wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> Mauricio Freitas [MVP] wrote:
    >>
    >>> <> wrote in message

    >>> The cheaper DSE wireless router will work fine

    >> Does having [MVP] after your name mean you can overlook the
    >> 'client's' needs and offer what you think is best for them?
    >>
    >> He says "non-wireless" you tell him that a wireless one will work
    >> fine. Must be something to do with Microsoft thinking.

    > Just think about it before you open your big fat mouth to take a cheap
    > shot at someone knowledgeable who makes a helpful suggestion.

    I did think. I also did some research. The cheapest DSE wireless router is
    $50 dearer than their cheapest non-wireless one. Both 4-port. $68 and $118.

    Call that a helpful suggestion? I call that blatently misleading and
    potentially expensive.

    If I asked for info I wouldn't want some plonker telling me untruths that,
    if I didn't check for myself, could cost me $50.

    > Some all in one routers are so cheap now that the ones with wifi are
    > just as cheap as the ones without.

    Well, not in this case it seems. The non-wireless one is less than 60% of
    the price of the cheapest wireless one. So maybe think about it before you
    open your big fat mouth to take a cheap shot at someone knowledgeable who
    points out when someone else makes a decidedly un-helpful suggestion huh?

    > It'll save him the cost of a $100 access point at a later stage.

    I'm sure the OP is capable of deciding what he wants. "A later stage" has
    ****-all to do with it.
    --
    ~Shaun~

    ~misfit~, Apr 8, 2006
  18. ~misfit~ Guest

    Mauricio Freitas [MVP] wrote:
    > "shannon" <> wrote in message
    >> ~misfit~ wrote:

    >>> Does having [MVP] after your name mean you can overlook the
    >>> 'client's' needs and offer what you think is best for them?
    >>>
    >>> He says "non-wireless" you tell him that a wireless one will work
    >>> fine. Must be something to do with Microsoft thinking.

    >> Just think about it before you open your big fat mouth to take a
    >> cheap shot at someone knowledgeable who makes a helpful suggestion.
    >>
    >> Some all in one routers are so cheap now that the ones with wifi are
    >> just as cheap as the ones without.
    >> It'll save him the cost of a $100 access point at a later stage.

    > Thanks Shannon, exactly what I thought and that's why I suggested the
    > all-in-one DSE - cheaper but with both ethernet and wi-fi
    > capabilities.

    You don't have to thank Shannon for insulting me with primary school level
    language. If you appreciate it so much try it for yourself. You may find it
    liberating.

    Be warned though, it shows people that you don't really have what it takes
    to conduct a civil discussion.
    --
    ~Shaun~

    ~misfit~, Apr 8, 2006
  19. shannon Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Mauricio Freitas [MVP] wrote:
    >
    >>"shannon" <> wrote in message

    >>>Just think about it before you open your big fat mouth to take a
    >>>cheap shot at someone knowledgeable who makes a helpful suggestion.
    >>>
    >>>Some all in one routers are so cheap now that the ones with wifi are
    >>>just as cheap as the ones without.
    >>>It'll save him the cost of a $100 access point at a later stage.

    >>Thanks Shannon, exactly what I thought and that's why I suggested the
    >>all-in-one DSE - cheaper but with both ethernet and wi-fi
    >>capabilities.

    > You don't have to thank Shannon for insulting me with primary school level
    > language. If you appreciate it so much try it for yourself. You may find it
    > liberating.
    >
    > Be warned though, it shows people that you don't really have what it takes
    > to conduct a civil discussion.

    Get over yourself :p

    shannon, Apr 8, 2006
  20. shannon Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > shannon wrote:
    >
    >>~misfit~ wrote:

    >>>Does having [MVP] after your name mean you can overlook the
    >>>'client's' needs and offer what you think is best for them?
    >>>
    >>>He says "non-wireless" you tell him that a wireless one will work
    >>>fine. Must be something to do with Microsoft thinking.

    >>Just think about it before you open your big fat mouth to take a cheap
    >>shot at someone knowledgeable who makes a helpful suggestion.

    > I did think. I also did some research. The cheapest DSE wireless router is
    > $50 dearer than their cheapest non-wireless one. Both 4-port. $68 and $118.
    >
    > Call that a helpful suggestion? I call that blatently misleading and
    > potentially expensive.
    >
    > If I asked for info I wouldn't want some plonker telling me untruths that,
    > if I didn't check for myself, could cost me $50.
    >

    >>Some all in one routers are so cheap now that the ones with wifi are
    >>just as cheap as the ones without.

    > Well, not in this case it seems. The non-wireless one is less than 60% of
    > the price of the cheapest wireless one. So maybe think about it before you
    > open your big fat mouth to take a cheap shot at someone knowledgeable who
    > points out when someone else makes a decidedly un-helpful suggestion huh?
    >

    >>It'll save him the cost of a $100 access point at a later stage.

    > I'm sure the OP is capable of deciding what he wants. "A later stage" has
    > ****-all to do with it.

    I think you have been here too long, you had a go at Mauricio, made
    disparaging comments about his MVP status, just for the sheer nastiness
    of it
    His MVP status indicates that he knows what he is talking about which to
    me just makes him a good person to ask for advice.
    I've found geekzone absolutely invaluable as a resource for many things.

    The OP is indeed capable of sorting out what he wants, without you
    sticking your oar in to insult anyone offering advice for whatever your
    personal reasons.

    shannon, Apr 8, 2006