    without the use of an underwater enclosure? I don't plan to expose any
    camera to the elements but just want to know what's most likely to
    survive them.

    larry moe 'n curly, Dec 30, 2005

  2. larry moe 'n curly

    Waterspider Guest

    "larry moe 'n curly" <> wrote in message
    > Which brands of non-SLRs are best against dust, sand, and moisture,
    > without the use of an underwater enclosure? I don't plan to expose any
    > camera to the elements but just want to know what's most likely to
    > survive them.

    They ones that you don't take out of the packaging and don't take out of
    your home?

    Waterspider, Dec 30, 2005

  3. Waterspider wrote:

    > They ones that you don't take out of the packaging and don't take out of
    > your home?

    It's always great to see a well-thought-out reply from a highly
    knowledgeable person.

    larry moe 'n curly, Dec 31, 2005
  4. larry moe 'n curly

    SteveB Guest

    I didn't reply earlier because I couldn't (still can't) remember the model
    number, but a friend of a friend took a weatherproof Olympus small cheapish
    consumer 3MP camera on a 2 week Europe biking holiday and came back with
    nothing but a very good set of photos and an intact camera.

    SteveB, Dec 31, 2005
  5. larry moe 'n curly

    cjcampbell Guest

    Well, I can tell you that Fuji is probably the worst.

    Canon, Minolta, and Nikon (in alphabetical order so I don't appear to
    be promoting my favorites) are probably the best. The most vulnerable
    element on the Canon and Nikon seems to be the little leaf type lens
    covers on their smallest cameras. Sooner or later these all seem to get
    grit in them and they start jamming, but it is easily fixed.

    Minolta makes some all-weather cameras that will stand just about
    anything, but they are really not that much more hardy than the Canon
    or Nikon cameras.

    cjcampbell, Dec 31, 2005
  6. larry moe 'n curly

    > Waterspider wrote:
    >
    >> They ones that you don't take out of the packaging and don't take out of
    >> your home?

    > It's always great to see a well-thought-out reply from a highly
    > knowledgeable person.

    And it's always nice to meet someone with a sense of humour and the well
    developed imagination that goes along with it.

    Waterspider, Dec 31, 2005