Which brand filters and lenses for Nikon 995?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Larry Jaques, Dec 4, 2003.

  1. Larry Jaques

    Larry Jaques Guest

    I didn't see any matching answers in my preview of the
    last 2,300 posts here so I thouht I'd start a thread.

    I already have a Nikkor TC-E3 tele but I'd like to get a
    wide-angle lens for my Coolpix for indoor work (showing
    room layouts, etc.) and some more filters for outside
    work this winter and spring.

    I see lens manufacturers on Ebay such as Digital Optics,
    Kenko, Opteka, and Raynor which are 1/3-1/2 the price of
    Nikon's Nikkor stuff.

    My questions:

    Are the Japanese lenses any good?

    What manufacturers do you recommend for lenses?

    Any manufacturers to avoid?

    Any vendors to seek/avoid? (47th St Photo, USADEALERS?)

    Titanium or resin bodies?

    Crystal or optical glass elements?

    TIA!

    --This post conscientiously crafted from 100% Recycled Pixels--
    http://diversify.com Websites: PHP Programming, MySQL databases
    Larry Jaques, Dec 4, 2003

  2. Larry Jaques

    Jim Waggener Guest

    "Larry Jaques" <jake@di\/ersify.com> wrote in message
    > I didn't see any matching answers in my preview of the
    > last 2,300 posts here so I thouht I'd start a thread.
    >

    > I already have a Nikkor TC-E3 tele but I'd like to get a
    > wide-angle lens for my Coolpix for indoor work (showing
    > room layouts, etc.) and some more filters for outside
    > work this winter and spring.

    There is also a wide-angle available for the 995 from Nikon.
    The 995 takes a 28mm filter.

    Jim Waggener, Dec 4, 2003

  3. Larry Jaques

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On Thu, 04 Dec 2003 21:23:55 GMT, in rec.photo.digital Larry Jaques
    <jake@di\/ersify.com> wrote:

    >I didn't see any matching answers in my preview of the
    >last 2,300 posts here so I thouht I'd start a thread.
    >

    >I already have a Nikkor TC-E3 tele but I'd like to get a
    >wide-angle lens for my Coolpix for indoor work (showing
    >room layouts, etc.) and some more filters for outside
    >work this winter and spring.
    >
    >I see lens manufacturers on Ebay such as Digital Optics,
    >Kenko, Opteka, and Raynor which are 1/3-1/2 the price of
    >Nikon's Nikkor stuff.

    You get what you pay for. The WC-E63 is a good quality piece.

    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    http://members.cox.net/egruf
    See images taken with my CP-990 and 5700 at
    http://members.cox.net/egruf-digicam
    Ed Ruf, Dec 4, 2003
  4. Larry Jaques

    Larry Jaques Guest

    On Thu, 04 Dec 2003 18:32:07 -0500, Ed Ruf <EG*nospam*>
    brought forth from the murky depths:

    >>I see lens manufacturers on Ebay such as Digital Optics,
    >>Kenko, Opteka, and Raynor which are 1/3-1/2 the price of
    >>Nikon's Nikkor stuff.

    >You get what you pay for. The WC-E63 is a good quality piece.

    I'm not sure I need the indoor pics that badly (@$130-170) ;)

    I love this camera, the best I've ever bought. With the 64MB
    memory cards, a couple batteries, and the Slick tripod, I ended
    up taking a total of 205 pics at the San Diego Wild Animal Park
    one day. That was 2001, the year I got it.

    I checked your site and have these questions, Ed:

    So how do you like the lens pen brush? They look pretty handy.
    (I just ordered 2 from Clamperpod; one for my sister's Oly.)

    How often do you use each of the filters in your pack?

    Ciao!

    Larry Jaques, Dec 5, 2003
  5. Larry Jaques

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On Fri, 05 Dec 2003 08:03:04 GMT, in rec.photo.digital Larry Jaques
    <jake@di\/ersify.com> wrote:

    >So how do you like the lens pen brush? They look pretty handy.
    >(I just ordered 2 from Clamperpod; one for my sister's Oly.)

    Best $8 I ever spent. I keep them about a year before tossing and getting a
    new one, but I get a lot of use carrying the cameras through the woods and
    stuff.

    >How often do you use each of the filters in your pack?

    Used to use the polarizer a lot and the ND's from time to time. Now, almost
    never as I hardly use the 990 at all any more. I'm about ready to get the
    Nextphoto adapter to allow use of filters with the 5700. For filters you
    don't need to get the Nikon pack, you can get cheaper ones at
    http://www.2filters.com .

    Ed Ruf, Dec 5, 2003