    How are they better than Grandstream?

    Basically, some pointers on which to use and why would be really helpful.

    Angus
    Angus Comber, Jul 12, 2005

  2. Angus Comber

    Ivor Jones Guest

    Angus Comber wrote:
    > Hello
    >
    > I am running an Asterisk, fairly recent version, connected to PSTN.
    > I only use IP Phones but now want to connect a fax machine to the
    > *. Plus may want to also connect the odd analog phone. People
    > seem to rave about Sipura. How are they better than Grandstream?

    A lot, when it comes to build quality and facilities available.

    Having said that, you should be aware that fax isn't really supported on
    most VoIP connections. It may work, it may not, but it isn't guaranteed.

    > Basically, some pointers on which to use and why would be really
    > helpful.

    Try http://voxilla.com for a lot of useful info.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Jul 12, 2005

  3. Angus Comber

    JuliusP Guest

    You would be better off using a Digium X100p card, which is an FXO
    card, as Ivor states, trying to use VOIP devices for fax is rather hit
    and miss
    JuliusP, Jul 12, 2005
  4. Angus Comber

    Ian Guest

    "JuliusP" <> wrote in message
    > You would be better off using a Digium X100p card, which is an FXO
    > card, as Ivor states, trying to use VOIP devices for fax is rather hit
    > and miss

    The X101p and X100p are as you correctly said are FXO this is for connecting
    to the PSTN not to alog devices, To do this you need either an ATA or a
    digium TDM400 card with FXS modules.

    Personaly i have deployed fax using Cisco ATAs and Hylafax, and the fax
    being detected by * and passed over. I have found as long as you lock the
    fax server or machine to a max of 9600 it works without a problem.

    As to ATAs you pays your money and takes your choice. various ones are built
    to a price point, sipuras new range a now in all plastic so wont have the
    "quality" feel that the 2000 and 3000 had, but they have to get the price
    down.

    Ian
    Ian, Jul 12, 2005
  5. Angus Comber

    JuliusP Guest

    >The X101p and X100p are as you correctly said are FXO this is for connecting
    >to the PSTN not to alog devices, To do this you need either an ATA or a
    >igium TDM400 card with FXS modules.

    Ooops, I meant that it could be used with spandsp standalone
    JuliusP, Jul 12, 2005
  6. Angus Comber

    Angus Comber Guest

    Thanks for that. I am not looking to do fax over a VoIP link. Fax will go
    over the usual analog trunk. I just wondered? If I plugged a fax machine
    into a Sipura ATA and sent a fax via an Asterisk then would the fax work
    over eg an ISDN BRI or PRI channel setup on the Asterisk?

    Angus

    Angus Comber, Jul 14, 2005
  7. Angus Comber

    Ed Guest

    On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 12:04:16 +0100, Ivor Jones wrote:

    >Angus Comber wrote:
    >> Hello
    >>
    >> I am running an Asterisk, fairly recent version, connected to PSTN.
    >> I only use IP Phones but now want to connect a fax machine to the
    >> *. Plus may want to also connect the odd analog phone. People
    >> seem to rave about Sipura. How are they better than Grandstream?

    >A lot, when it comes to build quality and facilities available.

    ... in particular if you're a masochist and like to pay Sipura rip-off
    prices.
    Ed, Jul 17, 2005
  8. Angus Comber

    Ivor Jones Guest

    Ed wrote:
    > On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 12:04:16 +0100, Ivor Jones wrote:
    >
    >> Angus Comber wrote:
    >>> Hello
    >>>
    >>> I am running an Asterisk, fairly recent version, connected to
    >>> PSTN. I only use IP Phones but now want to connect a fax machine
    >>> to the *. Plus may want to also connect the odd analog phone.
    >>> People seem to rave about Sipura. How are they better than
    >>> Grandstream?

    >> A lot, when it comes to build quality and facilities available.

    > .. in particular if you're a masochist and like to pay Sipura
    > rip-off prices.

    You pay for quality. I have no complaints at all about my Sipura 2000,
    it's the most configurable piece of kit I've ever bought, you can change
    the parameters on just about everything..!

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Jul 17, 2005
  9. Angus Comber

    Guest

    On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 15:45:41 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
    <> wrote:

    >You pay for quality. I have no complaints at all about my Sipura 2000,
    >it's the most configurable piece of kit I've ever bought, you can change
    >the parameters on just about everything..!

    I would think that 60% of the price you pay for a Sipura goes in
    profit not in the quality and build of the product has you say it
    works great but so does the Linksys pap 2 at less than half the
    price .
    , Jul 17, 2005
  10. Angus Comber

    Ed Guest

    On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 15:45:41 +0100, Ivor Jones wrote:

    >You pay for quality. I have no complaints at all about my Sipura 2000,
    >it's the most configurable piece of kit I've ever bought, you can change
    >the parameters on just about everything..!

    You've paid for air, hype and marketing spin. I'd be prepared to stake
    my bedsocks on the fact that neither you nor 99% of users understand
    the scores of incomprehensible parameters that the Sipura 2000 is
    afflicted with.
    Ed, Jul 17, 2005
  11. Angus Comber

    m0rk Guest

    "Ed" <a.@.invalid> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 15:45:41 +0100, Ivor Jones wrote:
    >
    >>You pay for quality. I have no complaints at all about my Sipura 2000,
    >>it's the most configurable piece of kit I've ever bought, you can change
    >>the parameters on just about everything..!

    > You've paid for air, hype and marketing spin. I'd be prepared to stake
    > my bedsocks on the fact that neither you nor 99% of users understand
    > the scores of incomprehensible parameters that the Sipura 2000 is
    > afflicted with.

    I got the linksys pap2 (based on the sipura 2000) and agree I dont have the
    faintest idea what most of the settings are for ... ive managed to muddle
    through and with help of others currently have it set to give a uk ring ring
    tone and have it working on both sipgate and gradwell.
    m0rk, Jul 17, 2005
  12. Angus Comber

    Guest

    On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 18:33:51 +0100, Ed <a.@.invalid> wrote:

    >You've paid for air, hype and marketing spin. I'd be prepared to stake
    >my bedsocks on the fact that neither you nor 99% of users understand
    >the scores of incomprehensible parameters that the Sipura 2000 is
    >afflicted with.

    The Sipura 2000 is no different than a lot of up market adsl modems
    and modem routers most are packed full of parameters that most wll not
    understand or use . I have just removed my PCI speed touch modem out
    of one machine and re installed a Dynamode modem router in preperation
    for a radical move I am going to be making very shortly and I reckon
    Ivor will guess what that move may be .
    Anyone fancy buying two Sipura 2000's less than six month old £ 45.00
    each !! .
    , Jul 17, 2005
  13. Angus Comber

    Ivor Jones Guest

    Ed wrote:
    > On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 15:45:41 +0100, Ivor Jones wrote:
    >
    >> You pay for quality. I have no complaints at all about my Sipura
    >> 2000, it's the most configurable piece of kit I've ever bought,
    >> you can change the parameters on just about everything..!

    > You've paid for air, hype and marketing spin. I'd be prepared to
    > stake my bedsocks on the fact that neither you nor 99% of users
    > understand the scores of incomprehensible parameters that the
    > Sipura 2000 is afflicted with.

    You'd lose your socks, I'm afraid.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Jul 17, 2005
  14. Angus Comber

    Ed Guest

    On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 21:29:29 +0100, Ivor Jones wrote:

    >You'd lose your socks, I'm afraid.

    Have you noticed your nose getting longer lately?
    Ed, Jul 18, 2005
  15. Angus Comber

    Ivor Jones Guest

    Ed wrote:
    > On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 21:29:29 +0100, Ivor Jones wrote:
    >
    >> You'd lose your socks, I'm afraid.

    > Have you noticed your nose getting longer lately?

    No, and unless you can prove it, neither have you.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Jul 18, 2005
  16. Angus Comber

    Don Carter Guest

    On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 19:37:09 +0100, wrote:

    >Anyone fancy buying two Sipura 2000's less than six month old £ 45.00
    >each !! .

    Not if I can buy the Linksys for less.
    Don Carter, Jul 18, 2005
  17. Ian wrote:
    > "JuliusP" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>You would be better off using a Digium X100p card, which is an FXO
    >>card, as Ivor states, trying to use VOIP devices for fax is rather hit
    >>and miss
    >>

    > The X101p and X100p are as you correctly said are FXO this is for connecting
    > to the PSTN not to alog devices, To do this you need either an ATA or a
    > digium TDM400 card with FXS modules.
    >
    > Personaly i have deployed fax using Cisco ATAs and Hylafax, and the fax
    > being detected by * and passed over. I have found as long as you lock the
    > fax server or machine to a max of 9600 it works without a problem.

    Do you know if there is a good guide to doing the above? (setting up
    asterisk to talk to hylafax).

    Can you use hylafax to send faxes with the above setup?

    I'm presuming that this isn't using an FXS port and a modem.

    TIA for any help you can provide.
    Thomas Rankin, Jul 19, 2005
  18. Angus Comber

    JuliusP Guest

    If you want to use Hylafax, you will need a Digium FXS port to
    interface the hlyafax+ modem to Asterisk

    If you wish to use spandsp, then you'll need a Digium FXO port
    (TDM400/X100p/etc)

    I guess you could use a ATA, but the results will vary, with Digium
    hardware it should work first time as expected

    http://www.voip-info.org/tiki-index.php?page=Asterisk spandsp
    JuliusP, Jul 19, 2005
  19. JuliusP wrote:
    > If you want to use Hylafax, you will need a Digium FXS port to
    > interface the hlyafax+ modem to Asterisk
    >
    > If you wish to use spandsp, then you'll need a Digium FXO port
    > (TDM400/X100p/etc)
    >
    > I guess you could use a ATA, but the results will vary, with Digium
    > hardware it should work first time as expected
    >
    > http://www.voip-info.org/tiki-index.php?page=Asterisk spandsp

    I wak planning on using a digium card (well 2 of them in total), I was
    just wondering id the receiving fax function from * can use hylafax and
    whether hylafax can use * as its modem. (removing the requirement for
    the modem and one of the FXS ports).
    Thomas Rankin, Jul 21, 2005
  20. Angus Comber

    JuliusP Guest

    I'm not sure, but I think Hylafax needs a physical modem

    I did hear something somewhere where someone was planning to interface
    Hylafax with Asterisk in a way that doesn't require a modem, not sure
    where I saw this

    Julius
    JuliusP, Jul 21, 2005