Which ATA device?

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Mick, Aug 3, 2006.

  1. Mick

    Mick Guest

    Well, I think I have managed to sort out that I can use Skype for
    pc/pda to pc chats with family - and Sipgate to replace my NTL
    landline telephone ..... but .... I need an ATA to connect my house
    DECT phones to the router.

    I'd appreciate some advice please as to which ATA to settle for,

    My broadband is cable - always on - using a Terayon moden piped into a
    Belking wireless router (spare LAN port available).

    Are all ATA's much the same? Is there one suited to my needs that
    doesn't include a built in router? Is that even an issue?
    Given that I', no techie - but that i can deal with static IP's etc,
    What would you suggest with the above set up?

    Thanks in advance.

    Mick

    Mick, Aug 3, 2006

  2. Mick

    Jono Guest

    "Mick" <jev@,jb.com> wrote in message
    > Well, I think I have managed to sort out that I can use Skype for
    > pc/pda to pc chats with family - and Sipgate to replace my NTL
    > landline telephone ..... but .... I need an ATA to connect my house
    > DECT phones to the router.
    >
    > I'd appreciate some advice please as to which ATA to settle for,
    >
    > My broadband is cable - always on - using a Terayon moden piped into a
    > Belking wireless router (spare LAN port available).
    >
    > Are all ATA's much the same? Is there one suited to my needs that
    > doesn't include a built in router? Is that even an issue?
    > Given that I', no techie - but that i can deal with static IP's etc,
    > What would you suggest with the above set up?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Mick
    >
    > --

    Linksys/Sipura SPA1001
    Jono, Aug 3, 2006

  3. Mick

    Brian A Guest

    On Thu, 03 Aug 2006 17:58:36 GMT, "Jono"
    <> wrote:

    >"Mick" <jev@,jb.com> wrote in message
    >> Well, I think I have managed to sort out that I can use Skype for
    >> pc/pda to pc chats with family - and Sipgate to replace my NTL
    >> landline telephone ..... but .... I need an ATA to connect my house
    >> DECT phones to the router.
    >>
    >> I'd appreciate some advice please as to which ATA to settle for,
    >>
    >> My broadband is cable - always on - using a Terayon moden piped into a
    >> Belking wireless router (spare LAN port available).
    >>
    >> Are all ATA's much the same? Is there one suited to my needs that
    >> doesn't include a built in router? Is that even an issue?
    >> Given that I', no techie - but that i can deal with static IP's etc,
    >> What would you suggest with the above set up?
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance.
    >>
    >> Mick
    >>
    >> --
    >>

    >Linksys/Sipura SPA1001

    Yes, good choice if you want to have 2 telephone numbers terminating
    on a single set of handsets. For 2 separate sets of handsets, each
    with their own numbers, PAP2 or Sipura/Linksys SPA-2000 or
    variations. If you buy a PAP2 make sure that it is not, and never has
    been. locked to Vonage - I would advise NOT to buy one second hand as
    you don't know its history.
    If you want to increase the number of outgoing providers on the PAP2
    etc. it is possible by use of external services.

    The SPA-3000 does have the advantage that it will readily cater for up
    to 5 outgoing providers. It does, however, have a PSTN input which
    will be of no use to you if you are ditching your landline.

    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
    Brian A, Aug 3, 2006
  4. Mick

    Jono Guest

    "Brian A" <> wrote in message

    >>> What would you suggest with the above set up?
    >>>

    >>Linksys/Sipura SPA1001

    > Yes, good choice if you want to have 2 telephone numbers terminating
    > on a single set of handsets.

    I thought I'd added more than just the make & model !

    SPA1001 /because/ the OP may want to have a back up provider, other than
    Sipgate, especially if he's ditching his landline /also/ he wants to connect
    the device to his home phones /so/ unless he's having a PABX, or has his
    house wired the American way, the SPA1001 is /perfect/
    Jono, Aug 3, 2006
  5. Mick

    Mick Guest

    Jono wrote:

    > "Brian A" <> wrote in message

    > > > Linksys/Sipura SPA1001

    > > Yes, good choice if you want to have 2 telephone numbers terminating
    > > on a single set of handsets.

    > I thought I'd added more than just the make & model !
    >
    > SPA1001 because the OP may want to have a back up provider, other
    > than Sipgate, especially if he's ditching his landline also he wants
    > to connect the device to his home phones so unless he's having a
    > PABX, or has his house wired the American way, the SPA1001 is perfect

    Linksys/Sipura SPA1001 would appear to be the one for me then!

    My backup would be the mobile for 999 calls .... if the Sipgate service
    fell down.

    My main aim is the ditch NTL for landline as it's an unwanted monthly
    line rental of ?11 plus supposed cheap calls for an additional ?5 plus
    caller ID for another ?1.75. After that I still have to pay about ?6
    monthly call charges.

    Buying the SPA1001 at about ?55 means I will be in 'profit' (in theory)
    in about 6 months. Should save me about ?175 - ?200 a year.

    Many thanks indeed for your advice.

    Regards

    Mick
    Mick, Aug 3, 2006