    Whenever I scan a photo, I usually crop it, and this gives me an
    opportunity to pick whatever aspect ratio I want. What should I want?

    Mike
    Mike Fox, Dec 27, 2004

  2. Mike Fox

    Mike Guest

    "Mike Fox" <> wrote in message news:eek:...
    > I'm about to scan my mom's 1927 photo album, and it has all kinds of
    > weird shaped photos. Further, display media (print and monitors)
    > range from a ratio of 1.25 for 8x10 to 1.50 for 4x6 prints with seven
    > additional ratios for 35 mm, A6, 5x7, digital camera, 8.5x11 and
    > 11x14. I'm sure there's more I haven't run across.
    >
    > Whenever I scan a photo, I usually crop it, and this gives me an
    > opportunity to pick whatever aspect ratio I want. What should I want?

    Proper aspect ratio (and scan resolution) depends on what you
    intend to do with these images. Are they for print, display etc.

    Just scan them at a resolution that's appropriate for the output
    device(s), and worry about aspect ratio later.
    Mike, Dec 27, 2004

  3. Mike Fox wrote:
    > I'm about to scan my mom's 1927 photo album, and it has all kinds of
    > weird shaped photos. Further, display media (print and monitors)
    > range from a ratio of 1.25 for 8x10 to 1.50 for 4x6 prints with seven
    > additional ratios for 35 mm, A6, 5x7, digital camera, 8.5x11 and
    > 11x14. I'm sure there's more I haven't run across.
    >
    > Whenever I scan a photo, I usually crop it, and this gives me an
    > opportunity to pick whatever aspect ratio I want. What should I want?
    >
    > Mike

    Don't crop it! You are making a copy not something new.
    Crop old photographs and you will later regret it. "Oh I
    cropped Uncle Ned out." "What vase?" "You know, the $2
    million antique vase that was on the right size in the
    photo." "You used to be able to see a faint image of Aunt
    Bea in the window at the edge." You get the idea. If some
    of them are studio prints, the original photographer cropped
    the photo the way he thought it looked best. You want to
    preserve that look.

    Scanned photos can always be cropped when you print, but if
    you crop some of the image during scanning, you have lost
    something that you may later want.

    I can't imagine any concern about aspect ratios. Film and
    print sizes have varied all over the place. Making
    everything the same aspect ratio will not only result in
    lost information, it will be Boring.
    George E. Cawthon, Dec 27, 2004
  4. > Don't crop it! You are making a copy not something new.
    > Crop old photographs and you will later regret it. "Oh I
    > cropped Uncle Ned out." "What vase?" "You know, the $2
    > million antique vase that was on the right size in the
    > photo." "You used to be able to see a faint image of Aunt
    > Bea in the window at the edge." You get the idea. If some
    > of them are studio prints, the original photographer cropped
    > the photo the way he thought it looked best. You want to
    > preserve that look.

    Right...do the scanning and save. That is your negative. Put it on a CD.
    Then edit it and put that on a CD. Then crop and sharpen....to fit the way
    you will print it. Don't bother saving this one as its easy to reproduce
    from your edited version.
    Gene Palmiter, Dec 28, 2004
  5. Mike Fox wrote:
    > I'm about to scan my mom's 1927 photo album, and it has all kinds of
    > weird shaped photos. Further, display media (print and monitors)
    > range from a ratio of 1.25 for 8x10 to 1.50 for 4x6 prints with seven
    > additional ratios for 35 mm, A6, 5x7, digital camera, 8.5x11 and
    > 11x14. I'm sure there's more I haven't run across.
    >
    > Whenever I scan a photo, I usually crop it, and this gives me an
    > opportunity to pick whatever aspect ratio I want. What should I want?
    >
    > Mike

    Just a couple of thoughts, not rules.

    I generally suggest cropping when you print or display, not when you
    record. As someone said, you are scanning someone else's work and cropping
    it when scanned changes it in a way you will never be able to recover.

    As for the proper aspect ratio, that is for you and the subject to
    determine. I suggest the subject should rule, not some arbitrary rule. Of
    course if you are creating a slide show and want smooth transmissions you
    may want to crop for that use. Most of the time I let the subject rule,
    even if it means part of the print will be blank.

    --
    Joseph Meehan

    26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
    Joseph Meehan, Dec 28, 2004
  6. Mike Fox <> writes:

    > I'm about to scan my mom's 1927 photo album, and it has all kinds of
    > weird shaped photos. Further, display media (print and monitors)
    > range from a ratio of 1.25 for 8x10 to 1.50 for 4x6 prints with seven
    > additional ratios for 35 mm, A6, 5x7, digital camera, 8.5x11 and
    > 11x14. I'm sure there's more I haven't run across.
    >
    > Whenever I scan a photo, I usually crop it, and this gives me an
    > opportunity to pick whatever aspect ratio I want. What should I want?

    IMHO you should want to preserve the original shape. At least for the
    master archive copy.

    For badly cropped snapshots, well, use your judgement. One of the
    nice things about displaying photos on-screen is that you're not bound
    to the fixed paper sizes any more.
    David Dyer-Bennet, Dec 28, 2004
  7. Mike Fox

    Mike Fox Guest

    Lot's of good advice. Thanks

    Mike

    Mike Fox, Dec 28, 2004
  8. Mike Fox

    Guest

    Mike Fox wrote:

    >I'm about to scan my mom's 1927 photo album, and it has all kinds of
    >weird shaped photos. Further, display media (print and monitors)
    >range from a ratio of 1.25 for 8x10 to 1.50 for 4x6 prints with seven
    >additional ratios for 35 mm, A6, 5x7, digital camera, 8.5x11 and
    >11x14. I'm sure there's more I haven't run across.
    >
    >Whenever I scan a photo, I usually crop it, and this gives me an
    >opportunity to pick whatever aspect ratio I want. What should I want?
    >
    >Mike

    2:3 for landscape or 3:2 for portrait. if for typical 2x3/4x6, etc
    for 4x5/8x10, it will be some other ratio as in 2:2.5

    fwiw
    chas
    --
    chas
    The new Canon DSLR elist. no trolls, etc

    , Dec 28, 2004