Which antenna best for panel antenna

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by everyman, Jan 4, 2006.

  1. everyman

    everyman Guest

    There is a municipal wifi transmission antenna about .5 km from my roof.
    Can get a line of sight, but the antenna they are using is pointed
    downwards on a plaza and I THINK it is a panel antenna. I am approx
    perpendicular to it. Sorry I cannot get photos do not have the right
    equipment for that.

    Have plans for several homebuilt antennas and some dish antennas
    available on the net. On the dish antennas is there any rough guide to
    which are best for the, is it, 2GHZ? frequency of wifi? Can the tv
    satellite antennas be modified for use? Or is another antenna better
    since I am not sure I can get precise alignment to their antenna. Others
    nearby appear to be accessing this transmission with simple home made
    cam antennas. Also I have a tree I might need to trim that seems to be
    covering a part of the field between me and their antenna.

    I realize this is sketch information and will try to provide better
    later, if I can. They have been uncooperative in giving details of their
    setup because the really, contrary to the pr campaign, do not want
    people using it for free, only businesses.

    everyman, Jan 4, 2006

  2. Hi
    You can try any Highly Directional Antenna that is intended to work with
    2.4GHz signal.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Jan 4, 2006

  3. everyman

    Frank Guest

    everyman wrote:
    > There is a municipal wifi transmission antenna about .5 km from my roof.
    > Can get a line of sight, but the antenna they are using is pointed
    > downwards on a plaza and I THINK it is a panel antenna. I am approx
    > perpendicular to it. Sorry I cannot get photos do not have the right
    > equipment for that.

    If it is a "Panel Antenna" and you are perpendicular to it then you will
    probably be outside its "Beam Width" and unlikely to be able to connect
    via this antenna.It is probably a directional antenna used to provide
    wifi access for those in the Plaza.

    > Have plans for several homebuilt antennas and some dish antennas
    > available on the net. On the dish antennas is there any rough guide to
    > which are best for the, is it, 2GHZ? frequency of wifi? Can the tv
    > satellite antennas be modified for use? Or is another antenna better
    > since I am not sure I can get precise alignment to their antenna. Others
    > nearby appear to be accessing this transmission with simple home made
    > cam antennas. Also I have a tree I might need to trim that seems to be
    > covering a part of the field between me and their antenna.
    >
    > I realize this is sketch information and will try to provide better
    > later, if I can. They have been uncooperative in giving details of their
    > setup because the really, contrary to the pr campaign, do not want
    > people using it for free, only businesses.

    If this is true then they will prevent your access no matter how you try
    to connect to it.

    Frank, Jan 4, 2006
  4. everyman

    Lem Guest

    everyman wrote:

    > There is a municipal wifi transmission antenna about .5 km from my roof.
    > Can get a line of sight, but the antenna they are using is pointed
    > downwards on a plaza and I THINK it is a panel antenna. I am approx
    > perpendicular to it. Sorry I cannot get photos do not have the right
    > equipment for that.
    >
    > Have plans for several homebuilt antennas and some dish antennas
    > available on the net. On the dish antennas is there any rough guide to
    > which are best for the, is it, 2GHZ? frequency of wifi? Can the tv
    > satellite antennas be modified for use? Or is another antenna better
    > since I am not sure I can get precise alignment to their antenna. Others
    > nearby appear to be accessing this transmission with simple home made
    > cam antennas. Also I have a tree I might need to trim that seems to be
    > covering a part of the field between me and their antenna.
    >
    > I realize this is sketch information and will try to provide better
    > later, if I can. They have been uncooperative in giving details of their
    > setup because the really, contrary to the pr campaign, do not want
    > people using it for free, only businesses.

    This question, or one suspiciously similar to it, was covered in
    excrucitaing detail about two months ago. See thread at
    http://tinyurl.com/9ngzy

    Lem, Jan 4, 2006
  5. everyman

    everyman Guest

    nice try. this guy probably works for the company which brags about giving
    residents free access then tries to obstruct people who want to use it,
    haha. Tell you and your workers you will be getting a STRONG signal
    sometime soon.

    Frank <> wrote in

    everyman, Jan 4, 2006
  6. everyman

    everyman Guest

    Guess you do not know the answer to the question: what design
    characteristics make for a good 2GHZ, probably dish, antenna. I wrote
    one company that sells these things and their "salesman" did not even
    know. It is very funny, whenever there is relatively new technology that
    crops up how most people using it do not really understand it, and some
    think they are guardians of some kind of secret key that only the noble
    are privileged to use.

    everyman, Jan 4, 2006
  7. everyman

    Ted Guest

    "everyman" <> wrote in message
    > There is a municipal wifi transmission antenna about .5 km from my roof.
    > Can get a line of sight, but the antenna they are using is pointed
    > downwards on a plaza and I THINK it is a panel antenna. I am approx
    > perpendicular to it. Sorry I cannot get photos do not have the right
    > equipment for that.
    >
    > Have plans for several homebuilt antennas and some dish antennas
    > available on the net. On the dish antennas is there any rough guide to
    > which are best for the, is it, 2GHZ? frequency of wifi? Can the tv
    > satellite antennas be modified for use? Or is another antenna better
    > since I am not sure I can get precise alignment to their antenna. Others
    > nearby appear to be accessing this transmission with simple home made
    > cam antennas. Also I have a tree I might need to trim that seems to be
    > covering a part of the field between me and their antenna.
    >
    > I realize this is sketch information and will try to provide better
    > later, if I can. They have been uncooperative in giving details of their
    > setup because the really, contrary to the pr campaign, do not want
    > people using it for free, only businesses.

    Some antennas you can try: http://www.freeantennas.com/
    And an antenna forum: http://www.freeantennas.com/forums/index.php
    Ted

    Ted, Jan 5, 2006
  8. Hmm.. Taking into consideration that I was involved with my first design of
    Antennae in the late 60's (yeah that is 40 years ago), and doing it On and
    Off since then.

    There is No General Best-Designed Device. Antennae are measured by their
    Gain and the difference between them is in the amount of directionality and
    other parameters that a more of the physical nature of the specific
    environment (how, where, and what is the mounting arrangements, and the way
    it is connected to the Wireless source).

    The home build Antennae that proliferate on the Internet has to do with what
    the Hobbyist is capable to build with the parts that are available to him,
    and the person technical knowledge. It has nothing to do with "Best Design".
    For 2.4GHz signal, the Dishes are actually not a good solution, 16 elements
    Yaggi would be nice ;)

    Therefore, from practical perspective your question is moot question. If you
    want to buy an Antenna, compute the Directionality Angle, buy the highest
    dbi that you can find (afford), and make sure that the type of Antenna that
    you choose can be physically installed safely in your specific environment,
    and connect correctly to your Client WIFI.

    If you want to make one, make what ever technically you can find parts to,
    and have the mechanical know how.

    You want to try something inexpensive this might help,
    http://www.cantenna.com

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Jan 5, 2006