Which AMD 64+ MB to buy?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Damos, Dec 28, 2005.

  1. Damos

    Damos Guest

    Contemplating making the switch to an AMD 64 based system. Only proviso is
    that it must be AGP as I wish
    to keep my ATIx800. Going to keep my SB audiology for sound.

    Suggestions and opinions invited....


    Thanks

    D.

    --
    "It's a foreboding I have - maybe ill placed - of my children's generation
    or my grandchildren's generation ... when clutching our horoscopes, our
    critical faculties in steep decline, unable to distinguish between what
    right and what feels good, we slide, almost without noticing, into
    superstition and darkness."

    Carl Sagan.
    Damos, Dec 28, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 22:22:56 +1300, Damos wrote:

    > Contemplating making the switch to an AMD 64 based system. Only proviso is
    > that it must be AGP as I wish
    > to keep my ATIx800. Going to keep my SB audiology for sound.
    >
    > Suggestions and opinions invited....
    >
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > D.


    Good idea keeping your Audigy card. I'd suggest leaving your AGP stuff on
    your old computer and buy the new computer with the current graphics
    standard - or at least make sure that the new computer can handle the new
    PCI standard. AGP is now old.

    Go for a MOBO that can take a CPU with dual cores - even if
    you don't initially buy that sort of chip. My personal recommendation (ie
    the one I would buy) if you're not going for a dual core chip, is to take
    the AMD64-3700+ . I think it presently represents a good compromise
    between cutting edge and budget version.

    And go for the latest CPU pin configuration (9xx) as the previous one is
    becoming hard to buy and the CPUs that take the 9xx configuration actually
    have some nice improvements.

    Just my five cents worth...


    Undeniably Sluttish

    --
    Free software on every PC on every desk.
    Mr Undeniably Sluttish, Dec 28, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Damos

    gimp Guest

    Damos wrote:
    > Suggestions and opinions invited....



    what's the system's intended use, office, browsing, games (recent?),
    imaging, 3D graphics...?

    cheers
    ps. i went for a socket754 with AGP system a year ago and regret it ever
    since, only just now moving up to 939 with PCIe.
    gimp, Dec 29, 2005
    #3
  4. Damos

    Damos Guest

    On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 15:07:12 +1300, gimp <> wrote:

    > Damos wrote:
    >> Suggestions and opinions invited....

    >
    >
    > what's the system's intended use, office, browsing, games (recent?),
    > imaging, 3D graphics...?
    >
    > cheers
    > ps. i went for a socket754 with AGP system a year ago and regret it ever
    > since, only just now moving up to 939 with PCIe.


    If I'm honest probably games, with some video/image work as will probably
    get digital recorder etc.
    Mind you will also be interesting what PS3 offers but as I'm into flight
    sims and strategy

    Currently looking at Asrock 939 Dual which has got some interesting
    reviews including being the basis of a game machine on toms hardware site.
    (http://www.asrock.com/product/product_939Dual-SATA2.htm) Has both agp and
    pcie slots and theoreticaly take AMD m2 connections as well. And cheap too.


    D.

    --
    "It's a foreboding I have - maybe ill placed - of my children's generation
    or my grandchildren's generation ... when clutching our horoscopes, our
    critical faculties in steep decline, unable to distinguish between what
    right and what feels good, we slide, almost without noticing, into
    superstition and darkness."

    Carl Sagan.
    Damos, Dec 29, 2005
    #4
  5. Damos

    gimp Guest

    Damos wrote:
    > Currently looking at Asrock 939 Dual which has got some interesting
    > reviews including being the basis of a game machine on toms hardware
    > site. (http://www.asrock.com/product/product_939Dual-SATA2.htm) Has
    > both agp and pcie slots and theoreticaly take AMD m2 connections as
    > well.


    interesting mobo - i didn't know about AGP and PCIe on one board. but if
    its socket939, M2 is 940 pins isn't it...?
    my DFI SLI-DR Expert just arrived today :) can't wait to chuck in my X2
    (when i choose one), and OC the whole rig into a flaming wreck.

    yeah if its gaming on any level, i'd have to say at least go 939 with
    the option of PCIe, it gives you an upgrade path (don't be put off in
    the hopes of waiting for M2, 939 will be around for a long time.
    gimp, Dec 29, 2005
    #5
  6. Damos

    Damos Guest

    On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 22:45:53 +1300, gimp <> wrote:

    > Damos wrote:
    >> Currently looking at Asrock 939 Dual which has got some interesting
    >> reviews including being the basis of a game machine on toms hardware
    >> site. (http://www.asrock.com/product/product_939Dual-SATA2.htm) Has
    >> both agp and pcie slots and theoreticaly take AMD m2 connections as
    >> well.

    >
    > interesting mobo - i didn't know about AGP and PCIe on one board. but if
    > its socket939, M2 is 940 pins isn't it...?
    > my DFI SLI-DR Expert just arrived today :) can't wait to chuck in my X2
    > (when i choose one), and OC the whole rig into a flaming wreck.
    >
    > yeah if its gaming on any level, i'd have to say at least go 939 with
    > the option of PCIe, it gives you an upgrade path (don't be put off in
    > the hopes of waiting for M2, 939 will be around for a long time.
    >


    The M2 connection is more of a slot than the regular square socket. The
    manual
    says that a card will slide into this. Not sure whether the M2 chips will
    come
    on a card which slots verticaly or if I buy a card into which the M2 sits
    and that
    slides in the slot...not to worry as lastest firm ware I think goes to
    fx60 which I haven't seen advertised.


    D.


    --
    "It's a foreboding I have - maybe ill placed - of my children's generation
    or my grandchildren's generation ... when clutching our horoscopes, our
    critical faculties in steep decline, unable to distinguish between what
    right and what feels good, we slide, almost without noticing, into
    superstition and darkness."

    Carl Sagan.
    Damos, Dec 29, 2005
    #6
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Dalgibbard

    AMD Sempron vs AMD Athlon

    Dalgibbard, Sep 16, 2004, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    669
    Shel-hed
    Sep 16, 2004
  2. Replies:
    11
    Views:
    601
    Luke O'Malley
    Sep 17, 2005
  3. thingy
    Replies:
    23
    Views:
    884
    ~misfit~
    Dec 2, 2007
  4. thingy
    Replies:
    10
    Views:
    643
    Richard
    Mar 9, 2008
  5. Ian
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    1,070
Loading...

Share This Page