Which Access Point Device to Buy? USB Adapter?

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Nick Knight, Jan 9, 2005.

  1. Nick Knight

    Nick Knight Guest

    Hello again,

    I came here a couple of weeks ago fairly clueless w/regards to Wireless
    networking ... my home office is all hard-wired. However, I needed to
    branch out and support at least one PC is a far-away room, with more ideas
    in the works.

    So, someone suggested I need a Wireless Access Point hooked to my existing
    router. I thought I had understood this to mean that this would support a
    single wireless PC. Research has shown that this isn't the case at all, and
    My "more ideas in the works" would be handled by this, too. If this is
    incorrect, someone please let me know.

    So. With this knowledge in hand, I started looking for WAP's to buy. I see
    2 manufacturer's models that are lower end and fill my need. Any opinions
    on which of these might be a better buy?:

    Linksys Wireless-G Access Point WAP54G
    Belkin 54G Wireless Access Point F5D7130
    eOpinions has the Belkin rated at 5 starts, but with only 3 reviews. The
    Linksys has 13 reviews and ranks only 3.5 stars. Yet, I've seen some
    references to problems with using the Belkin WAP with non Belkin adapters.
    Any opinions? ALSO, are Wireless Adapters using a USB port as good as a PCI
    card? Thanks in advance,

    Nick

    Nick Knight, Jan 9, 2005

  2. Nick Knight

    Tony Guest

    "Nick Knight" <> wrote in message
    > Hello again,
    >
    > I came here a couple of weeks ago fairly clueless w/regards to Wireless
    > networking ... my home office is all hard-wired. However, I needed to
    > branch out and support at least one PC is a far-away room, with more ideas
    > in the works.
    >
    > So, someone suggested I need a Wireless Access Point hooked to my existing
    > router. I thought I had understood this to mean that this would support a
    > single wireless PC. Research has shown that this isn't the case at all,
    > and
    > My "more ideas in the works" would be handled by this, too. If this is
    > incorrect, someone please let me know.
    >
    > So. With this knowledge in hand, I started looking for WAP's to buy. I
    > see
    > 2 manufacturer's models that are lower end and fill my need. Any opinions
    > on which of these might be a better buy?:
    >
    > Linksys Wireless-G Access Point WAP54G
    > Belkin 54G Wireless Access Point F5D7130
    > eOpinions has the Belkin rated at 5 starts, but with only 3 reviews. The
    > Linksys has 13 reviews and ranks only 3.5 stars. Yet, I've seen some
    > references to problems with using the Belkin WAP with non Belkin adapters.
    > Any opinions? ALSO, are Wireless Adapters using a USB port as good as a
    > PCI
    > card? Thanks in advance,
    >
    > Nick

    I think you will find that everyone has there own favourite. Best seem to
    be Netgear but I personally prefer D-Link. I always use their AP's as I've
    never had a problem with them and once you get to know the set-up, I find it
    easier to stick with the same make.

    I had some bad experiences with Belkin wi-fi stuff in the early days. It
    may be better now but I still avoid it. I still have a couple of Belkin USB
    adaptors that work but their range is not too good and both of them
    occasionally drop the signal (at least once an hour). Replaced both with
    Linksys adaptors which are fine.

    PCI and USB adaptors both have their pro's and cons. PCI can be more stable
    and mean that you have less wire making the place untidy but because the
    antenna is stuck at the back of the PC, you already have one obstacle in the
    way of the signal (you can get leads to move the antenna elsewhere). USB
    ones work fine and you have the advantage of being able to position them for
    a better signal.

    You can support more than 1 wireless PC with an access point. I presently
    have a small wired network upstairs consisting of a PC running windows, a PC
    running Smoothwall (firewall) which uses a USB modem and access point. All
    three are plugged into a hub. Downstairs I have two PC's and a laptop that
    wirelessly connect to the up stairs network through the AP (I also have a
    repeater downstairs as the AP is at the front of the house upstairs and the
    signal drops off at the back of the house downstairs). Not high speed
    though - all my wireless stuff is 11b and the hub is a 10mb/s but it is fast
    enough for me (broadband 'fly's' on all PC's).

    HTH

    Tony

    Volunteer your CPU to power global research http://www.grid.org/about/
    Sign up and join the team
    http://www.grid.org/services/teams/team.htm?id=E6F0B751-1BEE-4133-BC8D-1B8F3AF77CCA

    Tony, Jan 9, 2005

  3. I also Like D-Link. It has a very easy setup and I have had no problems
    installing the adapters on Windows 98SE, MW, 2000 and XP machines.

    I have 4 computers on my network, 2 desktop and 2 laptops in a single story
    house. I have places the AP at about the center of my house next to my DSL
    model.

    I can get a strong signal for about 500 feet around my AP. I can sit in my
    front or back yard with my laptops and get a good signal.

    I try to use all one manufacturers devices, but I do have a Proxim 802.11b
    USB adapter on one of my desktops, and it works very well also.

    On my D-Link AP I also could wire up to 3 other devices via ethernet if I
    wanted, such as my Media Center for streaming Music and Video over my
    Network.

    Customer support for D-Link is very good, but I only had to use it once, so
    I might have got lucky.

    Good luck and have fun setting up your WLAN. I Love them.

    Robert Jacobs, Jan 10, 2005