    Is there a web site that test these things and update them frequently?

    Is there a theoretical limit to how much can be stored in AA size form
    factor?

    peter, May 7, 2006

  2. peter

    ASAAR Guest

    On Sun, 07 May 2006 15:40:07 GMT, peter wrote:

    > PowerEX or Sanyo both have 2700mAH batteries. Which is better?
    >
    > Is there a web site that test these things and update them frequently?

    No web sites that I'm aware of. You *could* buy a few of each and
    see for yourself. Even if one is better, the difference isn't
    likely to be so great that the money spent on the poorer performer
    would be a big loss. Even if you don't have sophisticated test
    equipment, if the difference between these two brands isn't large
    enough for you to easily notice, for all practical purposes, they'd
    be the same.

    > Is there a theoretical limit to how much can be stored in AA size form
    > factor?

    Since the volume of AA batteries is virtually a constant, the
    theoretical limit is already known. Now if you're referring to the
    amount of energy that can be stored in that volume, it depends on
    the technology used - carbon zinc / alkaline / NiCad / NiMH /
    Lithium (there are several types of lithium) / silver / uranium /
    plutonium, etc. If tiny power plants can be made to fit within the
    AA form factor, those last two might be real winners, even if the AA
    shells are very thick lead cylinders. They'd still have to undergo
    testing before they'd be allowed to sport the "Approved by Better
    Homes & Gardens, Underwriter's Lab. & Homeland Security" logo. :)

    ASAAR, May 7, 2006

  3. peter

    SMS Guest

    peter wrote:
    > PowerEX or Sanyo both have 2700mAH batteries. Which is better?

    Sanyo

    > Is there a web site that test these things and update them frequently?

    No

    > Is there a theoretical limit to how much can be stored in AA size form
    > factor?

    No, though there is a theoretical limit for NiMH AA cells.

    SMS, May 7, 2006
  4. peter <> wrote:
    > PowerEX or Sanyo both have 2700mAH batteries. Which is better?
    >
    > Is there a web site that test these things and update them frequently?
    >
    > Is there a theoretical limit to how much can be stored in AA size form
    > factor?

    PowerEx seems to use Sanyo cores, so it probably doesn't make a difference.
    However, PowerEx seems to use conservative values when rating its batteries,
    thus, it is quite likely going to be an excellent performing 2700mAh batter
    for any given sample. Honestly, you can't go wrong with either, so buy the
    cheapest.

    --
    Thomas T. Veldhouse

    Thomas T. Veldhouse, May 8, 2006
  5. peter

    Steve Guest

    Actually both seem to actually only produce half of their rated power under
    load.

    Ya, another EE and I tested a bunch of batteries and none really got above
    2k MAH except the MAHA and Energizers were above their listed ratings. Their
    2500s were closer to 2600 and the new 2700s have gotten to 2800 on 3rd
    cycle.

    I am sticking with those brands for now.

    Steve

    Steve, May 17, 2006
  6. Steve <> wrote:
    > Actually both seem to actually only produce half of their rated power under
    > load.
    >
    > Ya, another EE and I tested a bunch of batteries and none really got above
    > 2k MAH except the MAHA and Energizers were above their listed ratings. Their
    > 2500s were closer to 2600 and the new 2700s have gotten to 2800 on 3rd
    > cycle.
    >
    > I am sticking with those brands for now.

    Now, why do you suppose that is, considering they both use Sanyo cores?

    --
    Thomas T. Veldhouse

    Thomas T. Veldhouse, May 17, 2006
  7. peter

    y_p_w Guest

    Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:
    > Steve <> wrote:
    > > Actually both seem to actually only produce half of their rated power under
    > > load.
    > >
    > > Ya, another EE and I tested a bunch of batteries and none really got above
    > > 2k MAH except the MAHA and Energizers were above their listed ratings. Their
    > > 2500s were closer to 2600 and the new 2700s have gotten to 2800 on 3rd
    > > cycle.
    > >
    > > I am sticking with those brands for now.
    > >

    > Now, why do you suppose that is, considering they both use Sanyo cores?

    There always going to be manufacturing variation.

    I saw some new Energizers, and they seem to come from a number
    of different suppliers. One looks like Sanyo, but is labelled as made
    in China. Duracell is selling 2650 mAh (typical) AAs, but that look
    like they might be Sanyo. They're labelled as made in Japan but
    don't have the HR mark. Might be made by Matsushita?

    y_p_w, May 17, 2006
  8. y_p_w <> wrote:

    >> Now, why do you suppose that is, considering they both use Sanyo cores?

    > There always going to be manufacturing variation.
    >
    > I saw some new Energizers, and they seem to come from a number
    > of different suppliers. One looks like Sanyo, but is labelled as made
    > in China. Duracell is selling 2650 mAh (typical) AAs, but that look
    > like they might be Sanyo. They're labelled as made in Japan but
    > don't have the HR mark. Might be made by Matsushita?

    Perhaps, but I was at Walmart and Target lately and in both stores, ALL
    Energizers, Duracell and Rayovac were "HR" labeled batteries ... IF the
    battery was a 2500mAh or higher AA battery. The AAA batteries all seem to be
    made in China. I don't believe Energizer or Duracell (and probably not
    Rayovac) will buy fraudulently labeled battery cores pretending to be "HR"
    labeled Sanyos. Sanyo is well known for its QC when it comes to their NiMH
    batteries.

    --
    Thomas T. Veldhouse

    Thomas T. Veldhouse, May 17, 2006
  9. peter

    y_p_w Guest

    Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:
    > y_p_w <> wrote:
    > >>
    > >> Now, why do you suppose that is, considering they both use Sanyo cores?

    > > There always going to be manufacturing variation.
    > >
    > > I saw some new Energizers, and they seem to come from a number
    > > of different suppliers. One looks like Sanyo, but is labelled as made
    > > in China. Duracell is selling 2650 mAh (typical) AAs, but that look
    > > like they might be Sanyo. They're labelled as made in Japan but
    > > don't have the HR mark. Might be made by Matsushita?
    > >

    > Perhaps, but I was at Walmart and Target lately and in both stores, ALL
    > Energizers, Duracell and Rayovac were "HR" labeled batteries ... IF the
    > battery was a 2500mAh or higher AA battery. The AAA batteries all seem to be
    > made in China. I don't believe Energizer or Duracell (and probably not
    > Rayovac) will buy fraudulently labeled battery cores pretending to be "HR"
    > labeled Sanyos. Sanyo is well known for its QC when it comes to their NiMH
    > batteries.

    Rayovac? That's a new wrinkle. I always though they bought
    theirs from Chinese manufacturers.

    The new label for Energizer 2500 mAh has "2500" in a smaller
    green box across the circumference. I think they source these
    from at least 3 different factories in China or Japan.

    y_p_w, May 17, 2006
  10. peter

    Steve Guest

    Don't know Thomas,

    Only know what I saw with my own eyes and testing.

    Shared the same, take it for it was worth.

    Steve, May 17, 2006
  11. y_p_w <> wrote:

    > Rayovac? That's a new wrinkle. I always though they bought
    > theirs from Chinese manufacturers.
    >
    > The new label for Energizer 2500 mAh has "2500" in a smaller
    > green box across the circumference. I think they source these
    > from at least 3 different factories in China or Japan.

    All mine say made in Japan. All the AAA batteries I have say made in China.

    --
    Thomas T. Veldhouse

    Thomas T. Veldhouse, May 18, 2006
  12. Steve <> wrote:
    > Don't know Thomas,
    >
    > Only know what I saw with my own eyes and testing.
    >
    > Shared the same, take it for it was worth.

    How did you determine capacity?

    --
    Thomas T. Veldhouse

    Thomas T. Veldhouse, May 18, 2006
  13. peter

    Steve Guest

    Recharged till delta fall-off. tested with .5amp load till NIMH voltage
    power fall-off.

    Steve, May 19, 2006