    would like the greater focal range of the Tamron or Sigma as a walk
    around lens, but is there a significant loss in image quality from the
    Canon lens?

    mortman, Jun 6, 2007

  2. mortman wrote:
    > I have been considering both the Tamron and the Sigma 18-200mm lenses.
    > Any thoughts as to which would be the better choice would be
    > appreciated. How would either of them compare in quality of results to
    > the Canon 28-105mm on my 20D(other than the difference in range)? I
    > would like the greater focal range of the Tamron or Sigma as a walk
    > around lens, but is there a significant loss in image quality from the
    > Canon lens?

    I chose the Sigma 18-200 lens over the Tamron 18-200 because it just
    felt like a better built piece. The Tamron had much more play when the
    barrel was extended than the Sigma. Also, from the photographs I could
    get from the web at the time I liked the Sigma shots better. They
    seemed a little sharper and I liked the color better.

    I have used the Sigma 18-200 on a Canon 300D for two years now and it
    has been a wonderful lens with zero issues. Especially as a
    walk-around, daylight lens. I don't hesitate recommending it to others.
    I don't have any direct experience with the Canon 28-105 so I can't
    help you there.

    Here's a few links for pictures I have taken with the Sigma lens so you
    can judge for yourself:

    http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c290/MikeJ9116/Misc Shots/IMG_5975.jpg
    http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c290/MikeJ9116/Misc Shots/CRW_7101a.jpg
    http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c290/MikeJ9116/Misc Shots/CRW_6901a.jpg
    http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c290/MikeJ9116/People/CRW_7000a.jpg
    http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c290/MikeJ9116/People/CRW_7053a.jpg
    http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c290/MikeJ9116/People/CRW_6733a.jpg

    Michael Johnson, Jun 6, 2007

  3. mortman

    Mark B. Guest

    "mortman" <> wrote in message
    >I have been considering both the Tamron and the Sigma 18-200mm lenses. Any
    >thoughts as to which would be the better choice would be appreciated. How
    >would either of them compare in quality of results to the Canon 28-105mm on
    >my 20D(other than the difference in range)? I would like the greater focal
    >range of the Tamron or Sigma as a walk around lens, but is there a
    >significant loss in image quality from the Canon lens?

    Another consideration is that Sigma is coming out with an image stabilized
    version of the 18-200, although so far it's a no-show. I have the non-OS
    version, it's not bad as a travel lens. IQ on the Canon 28-105 f/3.5-4.5 is
    better, but if I'm travelling and want to travel light I take the Sigma.

    Mark

    Mark B., Jun 6, 2007
  4. mortman

    Jon-Paul Guest

    On Jun 5, 6:11 pm, mortman <> wrote:
    > I have been considering both the Tamron and theSigma18-200mm lenses.
    > Any thoughts as to which would be the better choice would be
    > appreciated. How would either of them compare in quality of results to
    > the Canon 28-105mm on my 20D(other than the difference in range)? I
    > would like the greater focal range of the Tamron orSigmaas a walk
    > around lens, but is there a significant loss in image quality from the
    > Canon lens?

    Yeah waiting on that 18-200 IS from Sigma would have been like waiting
    for Santa Clause. I bought the 18-200 sigma about a year ago and am
    thrilled with the quality.

    Here are some examples, though not the best, some i took today to sell
    a BMW of mine. . . If interested in parts, let me know. :)

    http://picasaweb.google.com/jonpaul.raymond/SCRAPMY1990BMW525i

    Jon-Paul, Jun 7, 2007
  5. mortman

    Jon-Paul Guest

    On Jun 5, 6:11 pm, mortman <> wrote:
    > I have been considering both the Tamron and theSigma18-200mm lenses.
    > Any thoughts as to which would be the better choice would be
    > appreciated. How would either of them compare in quality of results to
    > the Canon 28-105mm on my 20D(other than the difference in range)? I
    > would like the greater focal range of the Tamron orSigmaas a walk
    > around lens, but is there a significant loss in image quality from the
    > Canon lens?

    Oh and i have a 30D as well

    Jon-Paul, Jun 7, 2007