    Thanks.

    Cheers,

    John

    OrmesbyJohn, Aug 3, 2004

  2. OrmesbyJohn

    OrmesbyJohn Guest

    "OrmesbyJohn" <> wrote in message
    news:cenhd4$p4g$...
    > Need a new screen.
    >
    > Not a gamer.
    >
    > Ref choice...I've got my shortlist down to 2:-
    >
    > LG 1710
    > Samsung SyncMaster 173P
    >
    > Any comments - good or bad about either?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > John

    -------------------------
    Or alternative recommendation for an excellent 17"TFT.
    Thanks

    OrmesbyJohn, Aug 3, 2004

  3. OrmesbyJohn

    hotfootlover Guest

    OrmesbyJohn wrote:
    > Need a new screen.
    >
    > Not a gamer.
    >
    > Ref choice...I've got my shortlist down to 2:-
    >
    > LG 1710
    > Samsung SyncMaster 173P
    >
    > Any comments - good or bad about either?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > John

    My next door neighbor just bought a Samsung SyncMaster 173P and it's
    a good bang for the buck with the rebate. A very nice little monitor
    I think.

    hotfootlover, Aug 3, 2004
  4. OrmesbyJohn

    S.Heenan Guest

    OrmesbyJohn wrote:
    > Need a new screen.
    >
    > Not a gamer.
    >
    > Ref choice...I've got my shortlist down to 2:-
    >
    > LG 1710
    > Samsung SyncMaster 173P
    >
    > Any comments - good or bad about either?

    The 173P has analog and DVI inputs. The LG has only analog.
    The LG has a 16ms response time, the Samsung 25ms.
    The Samsung is $589USD vs $379USD for the 1710SK.

    If you want or require the DVI input, Samsung is the way to go. Otherwise,
    the 1710 looks like a great unit.

    S.Heenan, Aug 3, 2004
  5. OrmesbyJohn

    OrmesbyJohn Guest

    "S.Heenan" <> wrote in message
    > OrmesbyJohn wrote:
    > > Need a new screen.
    > >
    > > Not a gamer.
    > >
    > > Ref choice...I've got my shortlist down to 2:-
    > >
    > > LG 1710
    > > Samsung SyncMaster 173P
    > >
    > > Any comments - good or bad about either?

    > The 173P has analog and DVI inputs. The LG has only analog.
    > The LG has a 16ms response time, the Samsung 25ms.
    > The Samsung is $589USD vs $379USD for the 1710SK.
    >

    > If you want or require the DVI input, Samsung is the way to go. Otherwise,
    > the 1710 looks like a great unit.

    -------------------
    TVM for the comments - gotta decide now :)
    John

    OrmesbyJohn, Aug 3, 2004
  6. OrmesbyJohn

    127.0.0.1 Guest

    > Need a new screen.
    >
    > Not a gamer.
    >
    > Ref choice...I've got my shortlist down to 2:-
    >
    > LG 1710
    > Samsung SyncMaster 173P
    >
    > Any comments - good or bad about either?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > John

    goto the store and see them side by side.
    look for the deepest contrast without reflections (glare).

    everyone's eyes are different, so choose what you like.

    i tend to spend more on monitors (flat panels) than the computers
    themselves.

    -a|ex

    127.0.0.1, Aug 3, 2004
  7. OrmesbyJohn

    S.Heenan Guest

    OrmesbyJohn wrote:
    > "S.Heenan" <> wrote in message
    >> OrmesbyJohn wrote:
    >>> Need a new screen.
    >>>
    >>> Not a gamer.
    >>>
    >>> Ref choice...I've got my shortlist down to 2:-
    >>>
    >>> LG 1710
    >>> Samsung SyncMaster 173P
    >>>
    >>> Any comments - good or bad about either?

    >> The 173P has analog and DVI inputs. The LG has only analog.
    >> The LG has a 16ms response time, the Samsung 25ms.
    >> The Samsung is $589USD vs $379USD for the 1710SK.
    >>

    >> If you want or require the DVI input, Samsung is the way to go.
    >> Otherwise, the 1710 looks like a great unit.

    > -------------------
    > TVM for the comments - gotta decide now :)
    > John

    You're welcome John.

    A few additional comments:

    Colours on an LCD monitor may not be as true or as pure as on a CRT. If
    graphic design is your thing, this may be a black mark against most all LCD
    monitors. Chances are you will only notice the difference when compared
    directly with a CRT monitor.

    LCD monitors are best only at their native resolution. In the case of a 17"
    LCD, it is 1280x1024, 15" LCD is 1024x768. Arrange to view any model you're
    interested in buying. Also, as about the dead/always on pixel/sub-pixel
    warranty. It is not uncommon to have a dead pixel right out of the box. Some
    dealers will accept returns, others have a minimum number of defective
    pixels to qualify for return. Ask before buying.

    S.Heenan, Aug 4, 2004