    not know how they can teach you everything in 8 days and expect you to pass
    the exam? Anyone completed one of the MCTS courses? What did you think of it,
    or is better to do self study and save the money?

    nosh, Jan 29, 2008

  2. I think that the courses are somewhat silly for someone who wishes to become
    certified. I mean, if I was going to hire someone and they were "certified"
    to administer/configure Vista workstations, I would expect them to have more
    than 8 days of experience with the technology. At least with a book, you
    spend time contemplating the information, you have spent time going through
    labs, and you (hopefully) use the the technology outside of the "study
    bubble" that we often find ourselves in the last few weeks before an exam.

    I might be misunderstanding your post, but from what I read you seem to be
    expecting to become certified without actually knowing much about Vista. If
    this is the case, I think you would be better served working with the
    technology more, reviewing the exam objectives and seeing how much you can
    absorb using the technology, and then use a self-study textbook to fill in
    the blanks where maybe your organization does not choose to implement
    certain Vista features.

    Good luck in your studies,

    MG

    Mostly Gizzards, Jan 29, 2008

  3. Remember that exams are intended to certify your /Experience/ not
    neccessarily whether or not you learned from a bootcamp.

    That being said, a lot of people have different learning styles. The social
    element of the in person training course makes it one of the most effective
    ways for most students to absorb information. If you do not feel real strong
    with a product and you need the kind of hands on time that you dont have a
    way to get on your own, the trainign course might be a great way to start
    your preparation for certification.

    In such a case, you will want to make sure you are supplementing that
    learning with study and hands on time on your own.

    The guideline I give to the folks I teach at work is to target using at
    least two different methods of study. For some folks, that may be self study
    books and a podcast. That may be books and practice exams. That may be a
    lab environment and books. Within one of the types of study (reading, doing,
    audio, in person, hybrid) you may be using multiple resources but to really
    maximize your chances at success and actually learning the material, focus on
    using at least two different kinds of study material.
    --
    Wayne Anderson

    Wayne Anderson, Feb 1, 2008