    a new trend with Superbit titles? All of my early
    Superbit purchases had chapter inserts (Fifth Element,
    Spider-Man, ...).
    Zontar, Dec 1, 2004

  2. (Zontar) writes:

    > I thought Superbit titles were supposed to be premium
    > purchases? I picked up the Superbit Spider-Man 2 and
    > there is no chapter insert, only the generic Superbit
    > info insert. Come to think of it, I picked up the
    > Superbit Cliffhanger that came out a few weeks ago
    > and it didn't have a chapter insert either. Is this
    > a new trend with Superbit titles? All of my early
    > Superbit purchases had chapter inserts (Fifth Element,
    > Spider-Man, ...).

    Superbit is 1 disc with DTS. The "regular" version is a 2-disc with
    tons of extras, no DTS. Superbit is hyped up crap if you ask me. DTS
    is nice but the 2 disc set has more for less money. You do the math.

    --
    Scott Streeter

    http://www.wpi.edu/~ss/
    Scott Streeter, Dec 1, 2004

  3. Zontar wrote:

    > I thought Superbit titles were supposed to be premium
    > purchases?

    (It's scary...Two years later, we're STILL getting these posts!)

    Derek Janssen (look, the rest of us're tired of posting the "It's just a
    remarketing device, OKAY??" disclaimers, so maybe we should get a
    support group started)
    Derek Janssen, Dec 1, 2004
  4. Zontar

    Aphelion Guest

    > Superbit is 1 disc with DTS. The "regular" version is a 2-disc with
    > tons of extras, no DTS. Superbit is hyped up crap if you ask me. DTS
    > is nice but the 2 disc set has more for less money. You do the math.

    Aren't they supposed to have superior video quality?

    Aphelion
    Aphelion, Dec 1, 2004
  5. Zontar

    John Doe Guest

    They have a superior price, but that is about it IMO. Like HDTV it's a
    market gimmick.

    John

    John Doe, Dec 2, 2004
  6. Zontar

    Jordan Lund Guest

    (Zontar) wrote in message news:<>...
    > I thought Superbit titles were supposed to be premium
    > purchases? I picked up the Superbit Spider-Man 2 and
    > there is no chapter insert, only the generic Superbit
    > info insert. Come to think of it, I picked up the
    > Superbit Cliffhanger that came out a few weeks ago
    > and it didn't have a chapter insert either. Is this
    > a new trend with Superbit titles? All of my early
    > Superbit purchases had chapter inserts (Fifth Element,
    > Spider-Man, ...).

    It's not just Superbit. Most of the new releases I've picked up
    haven't come with any insert (including high profile releases like
    Shrek 2.)

    Hmmmm... I wonder if there's a niche for after-market DVD liner notes?

    - Jordan
    Jordan Lund, Dec 2, 2004
  7. Zontar

    Wild Coyote Guest

    On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 00:54:13 GMT, "John Doe" <>
    wrote:

    >They have a superior price, but that is about it IMO. Like HDTV it's a
    >market gimmick.
    >
    >John
    >

    >"Aphelion" <> wrote in message
    >>> Superbit is 1 disc with DTS. The "regular" version is a 2-disc with
    >>> tons of extras, no DTS. Superbit is hyped up crap if you ask me. DTS
    >>> is nice but the 2 disc set has more for less money. You do the math.

    >> Aren't they supposed to have superior video quality?
    >>

    >> Aphelion

    HDTV..a market gimmick. You mean the difference I see is not really
    there?

    --
    The Day PP was speechless, April 20, 2004.

    "This may actually be the strangest idea ever in abp. I think you got
    me, WC--I'm speechless. A guy in a female road runner suit... that's
    just not right."

    Wild Coyote
    wild_coyote<AT>whoppermail.com
    Wild Coyote, Dec 2, 2004
  8. Zontar

    Tarkus Guest

    On 12/1/2004 4:54:13 PM, John Doe wrote:

    > They have a superior price, but that is about it IMO. Like HDTV it's a
    > market gimmick.

    HDTV is a market gimmick? That's funny.
    --
    "It Mu5t Be Found."
    Tarkus, Dec 2, 2004
  9. Zontar

    Biz Guest

    "Aphelion" <> wrote in message
    > > Superbit is 1 disc with DTS. The "regular" version is a 2-disc with
    > > tons of extras, no DTS. Superbit is hyped up crap if you ask me. DTS
    > > is nice but the 2 disc set has more for less money. You do the math.

    > Aren't they supposed to have superior video quality?

    They do if you have the equipment to showcase the improvements. Regular tv
    sets and cheap dvd players will not show the improvements. Hi end displays,
    projectors, and decent PQ/SQ (picture quality/sound quality)gear are
    necessary to see and hear the difference.
    Biz, Dec 2, 2004
  10. Zontar

    Biz Guest

    If you cant see the staggering visual difference between 720x480, and up to
    1920x1080, I suggest you walk/run to your eye doctor, yes walk/run, you
    shouldnt be driving...

    If you want to do an experiment, take a hi res photo froma digital camera,
    you can usually get one at 1920x1080 or higher on any 3MP or higher camera.

    Now use your photo-editing software and create a downresed 720x480 version
    of the same photo

    Biz, Dec 2, 2004
  11. Zontar

    John Doe Guest

    No the minor difference is their but you are letting Hollywood and TV
    stations grab you by the short hairs. With all of their copyright
    protections and stuff the only thing you will be able to record are the
    commercials. It amazes me how many people are sucked in to this and then
    turn around and bitch and complain later that they have no say in what they
    can record. I choose not to support and industry that like so money others
    is only after the all might buck even if that means having customers spend
    big bucks just so they can walk around bent over with a corporate shaft up
    their rumps.

    The only reason HDTV is being pushed is because it gives Hollywood more
    control and it gets them around the VCR lawsuit that says people have a
    right to record shows for their own use. Now Hollywood has finally found a
    way around that and you idiot consumers are spending thousands to help them
    do it.

    John

    John Doe, Dec 2, 2004
  12. Zontar

    P Pron Guest

    John Doe wrote:
    > No the minor difference is their but you are letting Hollywood and TV
    > stations grab you by the short hairs. With all of their copyright
    > protections and stuff the only thing you will be able to record are
    > the commercials. It amazes me how many people are sucked in to this
    > and then turn around and bitch and complain later that they have no
    > say in what they can record. I choose not to support and industry
    > that like so money others is only after the all might buck even if
    > that means having customers spend big bucks just so they can walk
    > around bent over with a corporate shaft up their rumps.
    >
    > The only reason HDTV is being pushed is because it gives Hollywood
    > more control and it gets them around the VCR lawsuit that says people
    > have a right to record shows for their own use. Now Hollywood has
    > finally found a way around that and you idiot consumers are spending
    > thousands to help them do it.
    >
    > John

    Oh, right.... You don't want to _watch_ HDTV, you just want to _record_ it.
    Sorry that I missed the vital point that it doesn't matter what it looks
    like, so long as you can copy it.

    paul

    P Pron, Dec 2, 2004
  13. Zontar

    Mike Kohary Guest

    John Doe wrote:
    > No the minor difference is their but you are letting Hollywood and TV
    > stations grab you by the short hairs. With all of their copyright
    > protections and stuff the only thing you will be able to record are
    > the commercials. It amazes me how many people are sucked in to this
    > and then turn around and bitch and complain later that they have no
    > say in what they can record. I choose not to support and industry
    > that like so money others is only after the all might buck even if
    > that means having customers spend big bucks just so they can walk
    > around bent over with a corporate shaft up their rumps.
    >
    > The only reason HDTV is being pushed is because it gives Hollywood
    > more control and it gets them around the VCR lawsuit that says people
    > have a right to record shows for their own use. Now Hollywood has
    > finally found a way around that and you idiot consumers are spending
    > thousands to help them do it.

    Um...is the goal of a consumer of HDTV to record it, or to watch it? You
    seem to have drawn up the most cynical possible view of this emerging
    technology, which is definitely not a "marketing gimmick" in the same way
    that a Superbit DVD release is.

    Mike Kohary, Dec 2, 2004
  14. John Doe wrote:
    > The only reason HDTV is being pushed is because it gives Hollywood
    > more control and it gets them around the VCR lawsuit that says people
    > have a right to record shows for their own use. Now Hollywood has
    > finally found a way around that and you idiot consumers are spending
    > thousands to help them do it.

    Funny, since there are already capture cards out for the PC that can
    record HDTV video streams. Oops, guess that defeats your argument
    there now doesn't it?

    Oh, right... I forgot..... what's that format called... oh yeah.... DVHS.
    Yeah, that can record HD as well ya know.

    Brian The Demolition Man Little
    Okay what next..... Edison records making a comeback? ;-)
    Brian The Demolition Man Little, Dec 2, 2004
  15. Wild Coyote wrote:
    > HDTV..a market gimmick. You mean the difference I see is not really
    > there?

    Didn't you know its all in your mind? ;-)

    Brian The Demolition Man Little
    Brian The Demolition Man Little, Dec 2, 2004
  16. Zontar

    Bob Bohling Guest

    Oh I see, a troll is on the loose. My HDTV was not much more than
    a comparable sized SD projection and there is more than a minor
    difference. Maybe you need glasses and the guy asked about the
    inserts, not your option that Superdisc is a "hyped up crap".
    I am surprised you have a DVD. They are hyped up crap and
    VHS is much better!

    Bob Bohling, Dec 2, 2004
  17. Zontar

    Biz Guest

    "John Doe" <> wrote in message
    > No the minor difference is their but you are letting Hollywood and TV
    > stations grab you by the short hairs. With all of their copyright
    > protections and stuff the only thing you will be able to record are the
    > commercials. It amazes me how many people are sucked in to this and then
    > turn around and bitch and complain later that they have no say in what

    they
    > can record. I choose not to support and industry that like so money others
    > is only after the all might buck even if that means having customers spend
    > big bucks just so they can walk around bent over with a corporate shaft up
    > their rumps.
    >
    > The only reason HDTV is being pushed is because it gives Hollywood more
    > control and it gets them around the VCR lawsuit that says people have a
    > right to record shows for their own use. Now Hollywood has finally found a
    > way around that and you idiot consumers are spending thousands to help

    them
    > do it.
    >
    > John

    I record Hi-Def content every day so I have no idea where you get your
    mis-information...
    Biz, Dec 2, 2004
  18. Zontar

    WinField Guest

    Biz wrote:

    > I record Hi-Def content every day so I have no idea where you get your
    > mis-information...

    I think misinformation is too harsh a characterization at this moment in
    time. I have heard about the FCC ruling on a "broadcast flag" for HDTV
    content. Went to Google and searched on *hdtv record flag" ...

    from this link:
    http://www.pvrblog.com/pvr/2003/10/fcc_about_to_vo.html

    FCC about to vote on broadcast flag

    "The EFF is calling for action on the FCC's upcoming decision on the
    broadcast flag. Here's a FAQ on the broadcast flag, but the short story
    is that if this passes, all new PVR hardware and software is subject to
    the approval of the Motion Picture Association of America before going
    to market in the US.

    This means that a technology like TiVo, that customers enjoy but
    networks are afraid of, might not have ever been approved. It certainly
    means that things like cheap home theater PCs and software like
    SnapStream would likely not go to market, since they allow the direct
    recording of TV shows and movies into digital formats. The passing of
    the broadcast flag could put a stop to a lot of innovative things going
    on in the PVR space.

    I'm sincerely hoping the FCC lets the market continue unhindered and
    will be writing a letter to share my point of view."
    - - - -

    It seems to me only time will tell exactly what goes down in the market
    place/legal beagles of movie industry trying to usurp our privacy,
    constitutional rights & bascially trying to take over the Internet &
    hardware market to keep their cash cows fed.

    Saw Dan Glickman (movie industry representative/prez(?)) on cable last
    night. Mr. Glickman said our very own founding fathers had the wisdom
    to put intellectual rights (copyright laws?) into our Constitution from
    the start.

    I'm no constitional expert - maybe someone here can point me where in
    our *ORIGINAL* (early) constitution these rigths live. [ my first
    thought was that Mr. Glickman was full of kosher mouse-doodles ]
    WinField, Dec 2, 2004
  19. (Zontar) wrote in

    > I thought Superbit titles were supposed to be premium
    > purchases? I picked up the Superbit Spider-Man 2 and
    > there is no chapter insert, only the generic Superbit
    > info insert. Come to think of it, I picked up the
    > Superbit Cliffhanger that came out a few weeks ago
    > and it didn't have a chapter insert either. Is this
    > a new trend with Superbit titles? All of my early
    > Superbit purchases had chapter inserts (Fifth Element,
    > Spider-Man, ...).

    Including an insert would have reduced the potential
    bitrate.

    --

    Aaron J. Bossig

    http://www.GodsLabRat.com
    http://www.dvdverdict.com

    Yes, of COURSE I'm being sarcastic!
    Aaron J. Bossig, Dec 3, 2004
  20. Zontar

    Mark Jones Guest

    "John Doe" <> wrote in message
    > They have a superior price, but that is about it IMO. Like HDTV it's a
    > market gimmick.

    You are an idiot if you think HDTV is a market gimmick.
    Mark Jones, Dec 3, 2004