    paora Guest

    If you have an answer please make it simple.

    In other words - treat me like a dummy.

    paora, May 7, 2004

  2. paora

    a Guest

    In article <>,
    says...

    > If you have an answer please make it simple.
    >
    > In other words - treat me like a dummy.

    Do you have a router or just an ADSL modem?

    a, May 7, 2004

  3. paora

    paora Guest

    On Sat, 8 May 2004 00:55:30 +1200, a <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    >says...
    >>
    >> If you have an answer please make it simple.
    >>
    >> In other words - treat me like a dummy.
    >>

    >Do you have a router or just an ADSL modem?

    oh geez......I'm dumber than that.

    It's not mine but I believe it is a router - how do I tell?

    Anyway if I run winipcfg all I get is something like
    10.0.0.18 which I can't connect to with Netmeeting or a Remote Control
    program.

    paora, May 7, 2004
  4. paora

    mattlock Guest

    paora wrote:
    > On Sat, 8 May 2004 00:55:30 +1200, a <> wrote:
    >

    >>In article <>,
    >>says...
    >>
    >>>If you have an answer please make it simple.
    >>>
    >>>In other words - treat me like a dummy.
    >>>

    >>Do you have a router or just an ADSL modem?

    > oh geez......I'm dumber than that.
    >
    > It's not mine but I believe it is a router - how do I tell?
    >
    > Anyway if I run winipcfg all I get is something like
    > 10.0.0.18 which I can't connect to with Netmeeting or a Remote Control
    > program.

    I think this is what you're looking for
    http://www.whatismyip.com/

    mattlock, May 7, 2004
  5. paora

    steve Guest

    paora wrote:
    > If you have an answer please make it simple.
    >
    > In other words - treat me like a dummy.

    On the homepage of the web server on your DSL router?

    On Linux, do "ifconfig" logged in a root.

    On Windows....it used to be "winipcfg" (on 98/SE/ME)....I think.

    "..... all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed
    to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves
    by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed."
    - Thomas Jefferson

    steve, May 7, 2004
  6. paora

    steve Guest

    paora wrote:
    > On Sat, 8 May 2004 00:55:30 +1200, a <> wrote:
    >

    >>In article <>,
    >>says...
    >>
    >>>If you have an answer please make it simple.
    >>>
    >>>In other words - treat me like a dummy.
    >>>

    >>Do you have a router or just an ADSL modem?

    > oh geez......I'm dumber than that.
    >
    > It's not mine but I believe it is a router - how do I tell?
    >
    > Anyway if I run winipcfg all I get is something like
    > 10.0.0.18 which I can't connect to with Netmeeting or a Remote Control
    > program.

    You'd need a router to re-direct traffic destined for the Netmeeting
    port to the internal IP address 10.1.1.18

    The DSE ADSL routr has a nice little web-based dialog that lets you
    simply say:

    on port <whatever> with protocol <TCP or UDP> send it <LAN IP Address>

    Voila....Netmeeting from the outside can see your system.

    If you want remote control, though, *seriously* consider using VNC
    instead of Netmeeting.

    Netmeeting on the system being controlled too aften crashes and takes
    the whole system with it. I used to use this to control my Mother's PC
    in Canada....and she was constantly re-booting the damn thing to
    un-stick Netmeeting.

    We changed to VNC...nad though we might get disconnected due to heavy
    traffic on the Net between us, I could just re-connect and carry.

    www.realvnc.com - for Windows, Linux and many other OSes besides - and
    they all interoperate very nicely.

    ...and it's free....and no Microsoft EULA.

    steve, May 7, 2004
  7. paora

    Gavin Tunney Guest

    On Fri, 07 May 2004 12:02:16 GMT, (paora) wrote:

    >If you have an answer please make it simple.
    >
    >In other words - treat me like a dummy.

    If using Win98 or ME, go Start - Run - winipcfg - Ok

    The top line that shows the network adaptor will probably have drop
    down box, with the little upside down triangle on the right hand side
    that shows a list of installed adaptors if you click on it...

    While connected to the net note down each adaptor, the ip address, the
    gateway and the dns server for each.... and post them back here.
    You'll need to click on the 'more info' button to get all that.

    If using win2k or XP you can get the same info by;
    Start - Run - cmd - Ok. Type ipconfig /all and it will list the info
    needed.

    Once we know which adaptor it's using for the 'net we can tell whether
    it's connecting thru a router or direct thru a modem... and then give
    you yr answer.

    Cheers

    Gavin

    Gavin Tunney, May 7, 2004
  8. paora

    paora Guest

    On Sat, 08 May 2004 08:37:07 +1200, steve <>
    wrote:

    >paora wrote:
    >> On Sat, 8 May 2004 00:55:30 +1200, a <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>In article <>,
    >>>says...

    >>>Do you have a router or just an ADSL modem?

    >> oh geez......I'm dumber than that.
    >>
    >> It's not mine but I believe it is a router - how do I tell?
    >>
    >> Anyway if I run winipcfg all I get is something like
    >> 10.0.0.18 which I can't connect to with Netmeeting or a Remote Control
    >> program.

    >You'd need a router to re-direct traffic destined for the Netmeeting
    >port to the internal IP address 10.1.1.18
    >
    >The DSE ADSL routr has a nice little web-based dialog that lets you
    >simply say:
    >
    >on port <whatever> with protocol <TCP or UDP> send it <LAN IP Address>

    haha, I'm the latter part of Dumber & Dumberer. :)

    Still, a titbit of info from here and a tibit from there will all fall
    into place eventually and I'll figure it out - I hope.

    >Voila....Netmeeting from the outside can see your system.
    >
    >If you want remote control, though, *seriously* consider using VNC
    >instead of Netmeeting.
    >
    >Netmeeting on the system being controlled too aften crashes and takes
    >the whole system with it. I used to use this to control my Mother's PC
    >in Canada....and she was constantly re-booting the damn thing to
    >un-stick Netmeeting.
    >
    >We changed to VNC...nad though we might get disconnected due to heavy
    >traffic on the Net between us, I could just re-connect and carry.
    >
    >www.realvnc.com - for Windows, Linux and many other OSes besides - and
    >they all interoperate very nicely.
    >
    >..and it's free....and no Microsoft EULA.

    I only need something for Windows systems and found
    Remote Administrator at http://www.radmin.com

    I tried a number of others and one of them really buggered me, I'm
    convinced. When I uninstalled it my machine seemed so violated that I
    felt a need to refresh the whole system with a ghost image.

    paora, May 8, 2004
  9. paora

    paora Guest

    On Sat, 08 May 2004 02:35:25 +1200, mattlock
    <> wrote:

    >> Anyway if I run winipcfg all I get is something like
    >> 10.0.0.18 which I can't connect to with Netmeeting or a Remote Control
    >> program.

    >I think this is what you're looking for
    >http://www.whatismyip.com/

    This is what I get for my regular dialup account.

    xxx.xxx.78.135 from winipcfg
    xxx.xxx.83.6 from whatsmyip.com and others like it
    xxx.xxx.64.2 or
    xxx.xxx.64.9 as the DNS server IP addresses

    I'm sure I've tried sites like whatsmyip.com in the past and they've
    given the same result as winipcfg - has something changed?

    paora, May 8, 2004
  10. paora

    Collector Guest

    paora wrote:

    >On Sat, 08 May 2004 02:35:25 +1200, mattlock
    ><> wrote:
    >

    >>>Anyway if I run winipcfg all I get is something like
    >>>10.0.0.18 which I can't connect to with Netmeeting or a Remote Control
    >>>program.
    >>>

    >>I think this is what you're looking for
    >>http://www.whatismyip.com/
    >>

    >This is what I get for my regular dialup account.
    >
    >xxx.xxx.78.135 from winipcfg
    >xxx.xxx.83.6 from whatsmyip.com and others like it
    >xxx.xxx.64.2 or
    >xxx.xxx.64.9 as the DNS server IP addresses
    >
    >I'm sure I've tried sites like whatsmyip.com in the past and they've
    >given the same result as winipcfg - has something changed?

    Masking the first twon octets while wise makesn it hardb to decipher
    what you are getting.
    Do a lookup on each of the ips (kloth.net) and one will show as a NS
    (name server) one will show as a cache probably one will show as your
    default gateway maybe and one of them will be your port on the network
    and that is the one youwant and my bet is the 83.6 one.

    Collector, May 8, 2004
  11. paora

    paora Guest

    On Sat, 08 May 2004 13:15:39 +1200, Collector
    <> wrote:

    >paora wrote:

    >>>I think this is what you're looking for
    >>>http://www.whatismyip.com/
    >>>

    >>This is what I get for my regular dialup account.
    >>
    >>xxx.xxx.78.135 from winipcfg
    >>xxx.xxx.83.6 from whatsmyip.com and others like it
    >>xxx.xxx.64.2 or
    >>xxx.xxx.64.9 as the DNS server IP addresses
    >>
    >>I'm sure I've tried sites like whatsmyip.com in the past and they've
    >>given the same result as winipcfg - has something changed?
    >>

    >Masking the first twon octets while wise makesn it hardb to decipher
    >what you are getting.
    >Do a lookup on each of the ips (kloth.net) and one will show as a NS
    >(name server) one will show as a cache probably one will show as your
    >default gateway maybe and one of them will be your port on the network
    >and that is the one youwant and my bet is the 83.6 one.

    It's my fault that we've drifted away from what I really wanted
    answered - this was just a curiosity as to why winipcfg and whatsmyip
    don't give the same ip. Nevermind - it's of no matter but thanks
    anyway.

    paora, May 9, 2004
  12. paora

    paora Guest

    On Sat, 08 May 2004 09:51:41 +1200, Gavin Tunney <>
    wrote:

    >On Fri, 07 May 2004 12:02:16 GMT, (paora) wrote:
    >

    >>If you have an answer please make it simple.
    >>
    >>In other words - treat me like a dummy.

    >If using Win98 or ME, go Start - Run - winipcfg - Ok
    >
    >The top line that shows the network adaptor will probably have drop
    >down box, with the little upside down triangle on the right hand side
    >that shows a list of installed adaptors if you click on it...
    >
    >While connected to the net note down each adaptor, the ip address, the
    >gateway and the dns server for each.... and post them back here.
    >You'll need to click on the 'more info' button to get all that.
    >
    >If using win2k or XP you can get the same info by;
    >Start - Run - cmd - Ok. Type ipconfig /all and it will list the info
    >needed.
    >
    >Once we know which adaptor it's using for the 'net we can tell whether
    >it's connecting thru a router or direct thru a modem... and then give
    >you yr answer.

    Well, I now know it's a router - Lectron AR800C2 ???
    http://www.lectron.com.tw/ar800c2.html

    Is this page what I need to look at?
    http://www.portforward.com/lectron/ar800c2.htm
    Or will it help explain what I need to do?

    I got to the 10.0.0.2 stage and didn't realise there was a default
    admin password to use so I didn't get 'in' - maybe just as well.
    Hopefully that password still works or else I'll have to try to get
    hold of the person who installed it.

    As for the installed adapters - there was only the ethernet adapter
    10.0.0.13 and a ppp option which had no information 0.0.0.0 .

    Damn, just realised I didn't click the ipconfig 'more info' button -
    do you really need that?

    All I want is to know the current dynamic ip.

    paora, May 9, 2004
  13. paora

    EMB Guest

    In news:,
    paora <> expelled:

    > I got to the 10.0.0.2 stage and didn't realise there was a default
    > admin password to use so I didn't get 'in' - maybe just as well.
    > Hopefully that password still works or else I'll have to try to get
    > hold of the person who installed it.
    >
    > As for the installed adapters - there was only the ethernet adapter
    > 10.0.0.13 and a ppp option which had no information 0.0.0.0 .

    This is your IP on the local network and not seen by the world outside your
    door.

    > Damn, just realised I didn't click the ipconfig 'more info' button -
    > do you really need that?
    >
    > All I want is to know the current dynamic ip.

    Try either link below. They should give your actual IP.

    http://checkip.dyndns.org/
    http://www.whatismyip.com/

    --
    EMB
    change two to number to reply

    EMB, May 9, 2004
  14. paora

    Gavin Tunney Guest

    On Sun, 09 May 2004 04:36:35 GMT, (paora) wrote:

    >On Sat, 08 May 2004 09:51:41 +1200, Gavin Tunney <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>On Fri, 07 May 2004 12:02:16 GMT, (paora) wrote:
    >>

    >>>If you have an answer please make it simple.
    >>>
    >>>In other words - treat me like a dummy.

    >>If using Win98 or ME, go Start - Run - winipcfg - Ok
    >>
    >>The top line that shows the network adaptor will probably have drop
    >>down box, with the little upside down triangle on the right hand side
    >>that shows a list of installed adaptors if you click on it...
    >>
    >>While connected to the net note down each adaptor, the ip address, the
    >>gateway and the dns server for each.... and post them back here.
    >>You'll need to click on the 'more info' button to get all that.
    >>
    >>If using win2k or XP you can get the same info by;
    >>Start - Run - cmd - Ok. Type ipconfig /all and it will list the info
    >>needed.
    >>
    >>Once we know which adaptor it's using for the 'net we can tell whether
    >>it's connecting thru a router or direct thru a modem... and then give
    >>you yr answer.
    >>

    >Well, I now know it's a router - Lectron AR800C2 ???
    >http://www.lectron.com.tw/ar800c2.html
    >
    >Is this page what I need to look at?
    >http://www.portforward.com/lectron/ar800c2.htm
    >Or will it help explain what I need to do?
    >
    >I got to the 10.0.0.2 stage and didn't realise there was a default
    >admin password to use so I didn't get 'in' - maybe just as well.
    >Hopefully that password still works or else I'll have to try to get
    >hold of the person who installed it.
    >
    >As for the installed adapters - there was only the ethernet adapter
    >10.0.0.13 and a ppp option which had no information 0.0.0.0 .
    >
    >Damn, just realised I didn't click the ipconfig 'more info' button -
    >do you really need that?
    >
    >All I want is to know the current dynamic ip.

    That's enough, tells me you're connecting thru a router of some kind.
    Your 10.0.0.13 IP address is a private address, related to your
    internal network only. People on the internet can't connect to that
    address directly because it's not on the 'net.

    I'm not a netmeeting user but I'm pretty sure it won't work behind a
    NAT router like what you look to be using. Some of those who use it
    may be able to confirm that, my understanding is it uses a dynamic
    port so you can't use port forwarding on the router. You might want to
    look at other options like VNC, which use a fixed port.

    You said to treat you like a dummy, so I'll explain a bit.. or try to.
    There's probably a few others who wouldn't mind a quick explanation so
    here goes...

    A router is a device that 'routes' network traffic between different
    networks, in this case your local LAN and the internet.

    Your router has two network interfaces, an internal one and an
    external. Each interface has a different IP address. The external
    interface is connected to the internet and gets an IP address
    allocated by the ISP. The internal interface is connected to your
    internal network, and has a fixed IP that's compatible with your PC(s)
    subnet.... in this case 10.0.0.2.

    The dynamic IP is on the external interface of the router, and you can
    find that by logging into the router and looking at the status page.
    You can also go to any of the many internet sites that report your IP
    address... they'll be reporting the IP of your routers external
    interface and not your PCs IP. Your PCs are not connected to the
    internet... the router is.

    With a normal internet session you instigate the connection(s) from
    your PC, the PC passes it onto the router which routes it to the
    internet. The router knows to forward replies from the internet back
    to the PC that instigated the session. When someone on the internet
    wants to initiate a connection into your private network however, the
    router has no way of knowing which PC it's destined for so it drops
    the traffic at the external interface.

    To get around that it's possible to configure most routers to forward
    certain (wanted) traffic to your (nominated) PC when required. That's
    called port forwarding, the router receives internet traffic destined
    for a specified port and knows to forward it to a nominated IP address
    on the internal network.

    To set that up you need to log into the router and look for a menu
    about port forwarding, also called port redirection. All routers vary
    slightly but generally it's a simple matter of entering the port
    number the traffic will be addressed to, and the IP address the router
    should divert that traffic to... in this case 10.0.0.13. You need to
    know the port and the protocol (TCP or UDP), VNC for example uses TCP
    port 5900 (from memory).

    If you're wondering about ports & IP addresses....

    An IP address is the address of a network interface. It's just a
    number, much the same as a phone number really.

    A port is the address of an application (VNC, Internet Explorer etc
    are applications). Numerous applications can share an IP address, they
    each have a different port number. Bit like having a single ph number
    with numerous extensions.

    The internet is pretty simple really, why it works so well. If you
    want to connect to another PC on the 'net you dial it's phone number
    (IP address) and then dial the extension (port) of the application you
    want to talk to. Nothing to it ;-)

    Cheers

    Gavin

    Gavin Tunney, May 10, 2004
  15. paora

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Gavin Tunney <> wrote in

    > I'm not a netmeeting user but I'm pretty sure it won't work behind a
    > NAT router like what you look to be using. Some of those who use it
    > may be able to confirm that, my understanding is it uses a dynamic
    > port so you can't use port forwarding on the router. You might want to
    > look at other options like VNC, which use a fixed port.

    It can be made to work through NAT, but you need to foreward so many
    ports that it nearly defeats the purpose of having a firewall that does
    stateful NAT.
    It is one of the big reasons people are moving to alternate remote
    control and conferencing solutions.
    See this link for netmeeting forewarding security nightmares.
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q158623

    Pass through primary TCP connections on ports 522, 389, 1503, 1720 and
    1731.
    Pass through secondary UDP connections on dynamically assigned ports
    (1024-65535).

    All UDP above 1024? Yes, if you want no problems at all. I bet you can
    skimp on some of these rules, but it will impact functionality.
    If you just want to remote desktop and push some files, check out
    UltraVNC from Sourceforge.
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, May 11, 2004