    Does he not post to usenet anymore? Just wondering if any of you oldtimers
    know.

    Larry

    Larry G, Oct 22, 2003

  2. On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 05:33:52 -0700, "Larry G" <>
    wrote:

    >I noticed Norm hasn't posted here since about May or so. Despite the fact
    >we had a disagreement over full/widescreen films (of which I'm through
    >discussing it, lol, I buy widescreen mostly anyway) I miss his posts and
    >updates on DVDs.
    >
    >Does he not post to usenet anymore? Just wondering if any of you oldtimers
    >know.

    My guess is that ano-centric assholes like Speedybyrd and DarkMatter
    made an intelligent person like Norm feel that this was not the place
    to be.

    . Steve ..

    Steve(JazzHunter), Oct 22, 2003

  3. Larry G wrote:

    > I noticed Norm hasn't posted here since about May or so. Despite the fact
    > we had a disagreement over full/widescreen films (of which I'm through
    > discussing it, lol, I buy widescreen mostly anyway) I miss his posts and
    > updates on DVDs.
    >
    > Does he not post to usenet anymore? Just wondering if any of you oldtimers
    > know.

    I think he decided to stop suffering fools at all, much less gladly. If
    you look around, you'll find that many real contributors to this
    newsgroup have either left or participate much less than they used to.
    It's a case of the SNR getting too low, which causes it to get lower.

    I think this newsgroup is in a death spiral. I doubt it will ever recover.

    Matthew

    --
    <http://www.mlmartin.com/bbq/>

    Thermodynamics For Dummies: You can't win.
    You can't break even.
    You can't get out of the game.

    Matthew L. Martin, Oct 22, 2003
  4. Larry G

    Richard C. Guest

    : wrote:
    :
    : >I noticed Norm hasn't posted here since about May or so. Despite the fact
    : >we had a disagreement over full/widescreen films (of which I'm through
    : >discussing it, lol, I buy widescreen mostly anyway) I miss his posts and
    : >updates on DVDs.
    : >
    : >Does he not post to usenet anymore? Just wondering if any of you oldtimers
    : >know.
    :
    : My guess is that ano-centric assholes like Speedybyrd and DarkMatter
    : made an intelligent person like Norm feel that this was not the place
    : to be.
    :
    : . Steve ..
    ==================
    Not to mention max and his outright attacks on Norm.
    I think that was the basis of Norm's final exit. It is a real shame.

    I miss Norm a lot
    ...........max? Miss him not!
    He is one of the biggest asses on the newsgroups.

    ======================

    Richard C., Oct 22, 2003
  5. Matthew L. Martin wrote:
    > I think this newsgroup is in a death spiral. I doubt it will ever recover.
    >
    > Matthew

    I hold out hope. Just wait til the HD-DVD soap opera heats up!

    and tagging wildebeests."
    --Michael J. Nelson

    Grand Inquisitor

    Grand Inquisitor, Oct 22, 2003
  6. > I think he decided to stop suffering fools at all, much less gladly.
    > If you look around, you'll find that many real contributors to this
    > newsgroup have either left or participate much less than they used to.
    > It's a case of the SNR getting too low, which causes it to get lower.
    >
    > I think this newsgroup is in a death spiral. I doubt it will ever
    > recover.

    Indeed. However, there's more contributing to that that local nitwits.
    DVD has hit its top speed, and the only real news now will be watching it
    reach more and more homes. There's no more controviersies like Divx,
    anamorphic enhancement, DeCSS, and so on. What's more, HD-DVD is on the
    horizon, if distantly.

    Alt.video.dvd has gone from a discussion forum to a tech support group,
    because that's all anyone needs these days. At least Norm had some news
    of his own. Around the time he left, he was getting married and moving
    to a new home. I hope it's working out for him. He's not missing much
    here.

    --

    Aaron J. Bossig

    http://www.GodsLabRat.com
    http://www.daily-reviews.com

    Aaron J. Bossig, Oct 22, 2003
  7. Larry G

    Guest

    Aaron J. Bossig wrote:
    > Indeed. However, there's more contributing to that than local nitwits.
    > DVD has hit its top speed, and the only real news now will be watching it
    > reach more and more homes. There's no more controviersies like Divx,
    > anamorphic enhancement, DeCSS, and so on. What's more, HD-DVD is on the
    > horizon, if distantly.

    What about Disney's great idea to sell us (the Public) DVDs for about 5
    bucks each that self-destruct in 48 hours and become landfill fodder?
    (ooh, save money on those late fees.)
    Can anyone say: "Remember DIVX and Circuit City (and Ahhhhnold, of course)?
    If you don't like this (really stupid, money grubbing, thoughtless,
    environmentally irresponsible) idea, write to Disney and give them your
    thoughts!

    Me? I can't decide.

    > Alt.video.dvd has gone from a discussion forum to a tech support group,
    > because that's all anyone needs these days. At least Norm had some news
    > of his own. Around the time he left, he was getting married and moving
    > to a new home. I hope it's working out for him. He's not missing much
    > here.

    But he is missed much here. Hope you're doing great Norm!!

    Mike

    , Oct 22, 2003
  8. Larry G

    AAbrams0264 Guest

    I think he succumbed to too much Norm-bashing.

    AAbrams0264, Oct 22, 2003
  9. Larry G

    Pat Guest

    "AAbrams0264" <> wrote in message
    > I think he succumbed to too much Norm-bashing.

    I personally think the height of Norm bashing should have been escalated to
    net abuse by the goons who were gang stabbing him in the back.

    No Norm = Crummy newsgroup.

    Pat, Oct 22, 2003

  10. >
    > No Norm = Crummy newsgroup.

    Agreed, it's not as neat to check in as it once was. But there is the
    occassional newsbite or interesting post. Just no one as informed as the
    Mighty N-man...no relation to Enron. =)

    ominousspiritous, Oct 22, 2003
  11. Richard C. demonstrates his ongoing hypocricy by:

    > Not to mention max and his outright attacks on Norm. <

    What 'outright attacks' might these be?

    >I think that was the basis of Norm's final exit. It is a real shame.

    Yet more Richard C fiction masquerading for fact.

    I had nothing to do with Wimpner's final demise.

    More likely his ego got the better of him and he hung himself on the rope of
    self inflicted 'journalistic' hubris.

    It had been coming for some time.

    > I miss Norm a lot ......

    I don't.

    His condacsending, patronising abuse of others is well documented - as is
    his threat of violence to another poster who disagreed with him.

    His confusion of personal opinion with objective fact made for some very
    *revealing* discussions when he was called on it.

    Any newsgroup is better off without such conduct.

    He was busted - he knows it - he left.

    >....max? Miss him not!> He is one of the biggest asses on the newsgroups.

    Are you by chance related to another Richard C who begged me for support in
    a private e-mail this year??..

    Max Christoffersen

    Max Christoffersen, Oct 22, 2003
  12. Larry G

    Thomas Bell Guest

    ominousspiritous wrote:
    >>No Norm = Crummy newsgroup.
    >>

    > Agreed, it's not as neat to check in as it once was. But there is the
    > occassional newsbite or interesting post. Just no one as informed as the
    > Mighty N-man...no relation to Enron. =)

    He was certainly knowledgeable and had plenty of good advance info on
    dvds but personally, his condescending attitude towards some people's
    questions and opinions will not be missed. I'd say it's an excellent
    case of "if you can't stand the fire, stay outta the kitchen."

    T.B.

    Thomas Bell, Oct 23, 2003
  13. Larry G

    Justin Guest

    Max Christoffersen wrote on [Thu, 23 Oct 2003 11:50:01 +1300]:

    [snip]

    You really are a tool, aren't ya?

    How are the sheep? nice and warm?

    Justin, Oct 23, 2003
  14. Larry G

    buck Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > I think he decided to stop suffering fools at all, much less gladly. If
    > you look around, you'll find that many real contributors to this
    > newsgroup have either left or participate much less than they used to.
    > It's a case of the SNR getting too low, which causes it to get lower.
    >
    > I think this newsgroup is in a death spiral. I doubt it will ever recover.
    >
    > Matthew

    Amen, brother, Amen
    --
    Larry Lynch
    Mystic, Ct.

    buck, Oct 23, 2003
  15. Larry G

    Peter Guest

    Matthew L. Martin wrote:
    > Larry G wrote:
    >
    >> I noticed Norm hasn't posted here since about May or so. Despite the
    >> fact
    >> we had a disagreement over full/widescreen films (of which I'm through
    >> discussing it, lol, I buy widescreen mostly anyway) I miss his posts and
    >> updates on DVDs.
    >>
    >> Does he not post to usenet anymore? Just wondering if any of you
    >> oldtimers
    >> know.

    > I think he decided to stop suffering fools at all, much less gladly. If
    > you look around, you'll find that many real contributors to this
    > newsgroup have either left or participate much less than they used to.
    > It's a case of the SNR getting too low, which causes it to get lower.
    >
    > I think this newsgroup is in a death spiral. I doubt it will ever recover.
    >
    > Matthew

    I've seen a number of newsgroups go this way... Soon it will just be the
    trolls fighting it out, and no one else will be around to care. Everyone
    will have found web message boards that have the same discussions, but
    are now moderated. Usenet itself is slowly going to die because people
    are ruining it. The binaries will of course stay around, because it's
    the best place to find porn.

    --
    At the source of every error which is blamed on the
    computer you will find at least two human errors,

    Peter, Oct 23, 2003
  16. Larry G

    Dunf Guest

    "Larry G" <> wrote in message
    > I noticed Norm hasn't posted here since about May or so. Despite the fact
    > we had a disagreement over full/widescreen films (of which I'm through
    > discussing it, lol, I buy widescreen mostly anyway) I miss his posts and
    > updates on DVDs.
    >
    > Does he not post to usenet anymore? Just wondering if any of you

    oldtimers
    > know.
    >
    > Larry

    Norm had a distinct and unfair advantage in that he worked or works in the
    film industry. He gets virtually all the dvd's that are released sent to his
    home including the very expensive premium titles. While his posts were often
    informative and sometimes entertaining, he had this advantage over most of
    us in that he doesn't have to shell out his hard earned. He also became
    somewhat of the know it all authority, however, he never forced his personal
    taste on others or criticized any of us for what we liked or didn't like.
    That is what some of you probably miss about him. He did contribute in some
    positive ways; I wouldn't deny that. He did however tend to side with the
    pseudo intellectuals, many of whom also work in the film industry in some
    capacity or another and probably knew Norm personally in some cases.

    If this a forum for the layman dvd hobbyist who simply wants to express his
    or her opinion about releases and maybe learn a thing or two about them,
    then those that work in the industry can only be most appreciated when they
    act or respond on our level.

    There was one guy who works as a compressionist, forget his name, but he was
    always very friendly and offered up answers to questions with no bias or
    pretention. Guys like Norm always expected the poster to be absolutely
    correct. Well , we don't work in the film or dvd or entertainment industry.
    Were not expected to know the name of every studio or who did what or when.

    Hell, any of us can simply go to http://www.imdb.com , we don't need Norm to
    point out how stupid we are cause we don't have "industry" information
    available at the forefront of our minds. We don't live and breath the
    business; we just read and post here. That is why guys like Norm get tired
    or simply bored with newsgroups like this. His contributions are not
    appreciated by absolutely everyone, which is ultimately his goal.

    I appreciate those who post to this newsgroup that may happen to work in the
    industry but don't make it painfully obvious with each and every post. Norm
    always posted "on the record" since his email signature listed his employer
    etc... It was as if he was doing it to gain credit with his employer or the
    industry in general by showing that he delved into some great research of
    the dvd buying public. Perhaps it gave him more credibility with his
    employer or employers by showing that he was "on the pulse" with the dvd
    buying public.

    Perhaps Norman simply profited from much of what we wrote. Perhaps he used
    this information to write articles and by posting messages he would provoke
    a response that would give him additional information about the way we think
    about a particular film or dvd.

    Perhaps, Norman Wilner just simply used all of us...or perhaps not. That is
    for any of you who care to ponder why he doesn't post here anymore to
    decide. Perhaps his assignment is complete or maybe there are too many dvd
    reviewers out there helping to sell a product, that lets face it, sells
    itself if it's any good or popular as an effect of the original marketing.

    DVD sells itself. It took between the years of 1997-2001 for this to
    steamrole in the fastest growing new entertainment media ever. Since 2002 or
    so, everyone and his grandmother owned a dvd player and at least rented if
    not bought a number of titles.

    If Norman responds to this post or any of yours in this thread we know that
    he reads the posts and either doesn't post under his name any longer, uses a
    psedonym, or simply chooses not to post.

    In any case, hopefully for Norman there is a newsgroup out there like
    alt.dvdindustrypeople.video that he can participate in.

    Ever go to a film festival shmooze fest and feel like the only good or
    compelling thing there is the food? That's how Norman made some us feel in
    this NG. He was the industry insider shmoozing along with some of the other
    insiders and wannabee insiders while we pondered why we even checked out the
    group.

    This newsgroup is for everyone; not just film industry people.

    Dunf, Oct 23, 2003
  17. >> I think this newsgroup is in a death spiral. I doubt it will ever recover.

    >> Matthew
    >>

    > I've seen a number of newsgroups go this way... Soon it will just be the
    > trolls fighting it out, and no one else will be around to care. Everyone
    > will have found web message boards that have the same discussions, but
    > are now moderated. Usenet itself is slowly going to die because people
    > are ruining it. The binaries will of course stay around, because it's
    > the best place to find porn.

    Yep, soon you will be left with Richard C, Aaron, Mathew, Sammy and
    Brockwurst arguing among themselves about the merits of nudist German WS
    art-films replayed in PAL progressive that none of them have actually seen.

    I can not wait for that one.

    Max Christoffersen

    Max Christoffersen, Oct 23, 2003
  18. in article , Thomas Bell at
    wrote on 23/10/03 12:07 PM:

    > ominousspiritous wrote:
    >>> No Norm = Crummy newsgroup.
    >>>

    >> Agreed, it's not as neat to check in as it once was. But there is the
    >> occassional newsbite or interesting post. Just no one as informed as the
    >> Mighty N-man...no relation to Enron. =)

    > He was certainly knowledgeable and had plenty of good advance info on
    > dvds but personally, his condescending attitude towards some people's
    > questions and opinions will not be missed. I'd say it's an excellent
    > case of "if you can't stand the fire, stay outta the kitchen."
    >
    > T.B.

    Well said.

    What goes around, comes around.

    Max Christoffersen

    Max Christoffersen, Oct 23, 2003
  19. Larry G

    Justin Guest

    Peter wrote on [Wed, 22 Oct 2003 21:33:27 -0400]:

    > I've seen a number of newsgroups go this way... Soon it will just be the
    > trolls fighting it out, and no one else will be around to care. Everyone
    > will have found web message boards that have the same discussions, but
    > are now moderated. Usenet itself is slowly going to die because people
    > are ruining it. The binaries will of course stay around, because it's
    > the best place to find porn.

    such a shame really, since the web forums are not archived and should
    the site operator decide to pull the plug then that's that

    Justin, Oct 23, 2003
  20. On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 19:52:49 GMT, "Pat" <> wrote:

    >"AAbrams0264" <> wrote in message
    >> I think he succumbed to too much Norm-bashing.

    >I personally think the height of Norm bashing should have been escalated to
    >net abuse by the goons who were gang stabbing him in the back.

    Oh, a supporter of the Net Nazi Movement. Many thanks, no.

    >No Norm = Crummy newsgroup.

    How so? Who set him up as the Messiah of alt.video.dvd?

    SpeedByrd PhD

    Dr. Speedbyrd :>, Oct 23, 2003