    the missing 60 RAM?

    Any help would be most appreciated.

    Si
    Si, Dec 19, 2004

  2. Si

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Si" <> wrote in message
    news:zY6xd.18365$...
    | Hi all
    |
    | I have a Packard Bell i-media PC (3 years old) model 5051. The PC manual
    | says I have 256 RAM, however 'My Computer' and SiSandra both say I have
    196
    | RAM. So I open up the PC and I have added another 256 RAM. While I'm there
    | confirm that my existing RAM IS 256. So my questions are -
    |
    | 1. If I originally had 256 RAM but my PC shows 196 RAM, where is the other
    | 60 RAM?
    |
    | 2. I've now added another 256 RAM and my PC shows my RAM as 452 so where
    is
    | the missing 60 RAM?
    |
    | Any help would be most appreciated.

    Your PC probably is using that memory to drive your video. Many motherboards
    "share" the RAM for that purpose - it saves the manufacturer money.
    Toolman Tim, Dec 19, 2004

  3. On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 03:55:11 GMT, "Si" <>
    wrote:

    >Hi all
    >
    >I have a Packard Bell i-media PC (3 years old) model 5051. The PC manual
    >says I have 256 RAM, however 'My Computer' and SiSandra both say I have 196
    >RAM. So I open up the PC and I have added another 256 RAM. While I'm there I
    >confirm that my existing RAM IS 256. So my questions are -
    >
    >1. If I originally had 256 RAM but my PC shows 196 RAM, where is the other
    >60 RAM?
    >
    >2. I've now added another 256 RAM and my PC shows my RAM as 452 so where is
    >the missing 60 RAM?

    It has on-board graphics which appears to use some of the system RAM.
    There is quite a lot of info about your system at;

    http://support.packardbell.com/uk/mypc/index.php?PibItemNr=P660400301
    Shane Matthews, Dec 19, 2004
  4. Si

    Si Guest

    Thanks - much appreciated!

    Si

    Si, Dec 19, 2004
  5. I was walking down the street, minding my own business, when on Sun,
    19 Dec 2004 03:55:11 GMT, "Si" <> screamed
    from behind the mulberry bush:

    >Hi all
    >
    >I have a Packard Bell i-media PC (3 years old) model 5051. The PC manual
    >says I have 256 RAM, however 'My Computer' and SiSandra both say I have 196
    >RAM. So I open up the PC and I have added another 256 RAM. While I'm there I
    >confirm that my existing RAM IS 256. So my questions are -
    >
    >1. If I originally had 256 RAM but my PC shows 196 RAM, where is the other
    >60 RAM?

    You probably have a cheap ass onboard video card that "shares" the
    memory with your system.

    >2. I've now added another 256 RAM and my PC shows my RAM as 452 so where is
    >the missing 60 RAM?
    >
    >Any help would be most appreciated.

    Buy a video card (if your motherboard has an AGP slot) or go into the
    BIOS and change the setting so your onboard video card won't use so
    much memory.
    Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor, Dec 19, 2004
  6. Si

    Si Guest

    Thanks Doc....

    but your talking to wet behind the ears pc user... ish!

    no idea how to change/amend the BIOS.

    Sorry!

    Si

    Si, Dec 19, 2004
  7. Si

    Gary Guest

    Si wrote:
    > Thanks Doc....
    >
    > but your talking to wet behind the ears pc user... ish!
    >
    > no idea how to change/amend the BIOS.
    >
    > Sorry!
    >
    > Si

    In that case, don't worry about it. Use it.
    Gary, Dec 19, 2004