    What I have noticed is that on my PC the network neighbourhood option
    is no longer there in the Start menu.

    Any ideas?
    Jason Clinton, Aug 22, 2007

  2. On Aug 22, 9:08 pm, Jason Clinton <> wrote:
    > All of a sudden my laptop can't access the files on my PC through my
    > wireless network (and vice versa). I can still surf the net on either.
    >
    > Setup is:
    >
    > PC - connected to 3com wireless adsl modem through network cable
    >
    > Laptop - connected wirelessly
    >
    > Both running XP
    >
    > Things were running fine and one day its not.
    >
    > I've tried setting up the network again and I don't get any error
    > messages or anything.
    >
    > What I have noticed is that on my PC the network neighbourhood option
    > is no longer there in the Start menu.
    >
    > Any ideas?

    Do you know the name of the machine you want to connect to?

    If you don't, go to that machine, and Start, Run, CMD, hostname
    it will come back with a machine name

    Go to the machine you want to connect from and go Start, Run, \
    \machinename

    If that doesn't work repeat the above but replace "hostname" with
    ipconfig (from the CMD prompt, should reaply with a address like
    192.168.0.10) and \\machinename with \\ip.address

    Once you have connected, you should be able to drag the sharename from
    the host you are connecting to, to your desktop of the machine you're
    connect from, that will give you a shortcut so you don't have to jump
    through all the above hoops everytime

    Cheers
    Nathan
    Nathan Mercer, Aug 23, 2007

  3. On Wed, 22 Aug 2007 17:39:38 -0700, Nathan Mercer <>
    wrote:

    >On Aug 22, 9:08 pm, Jason Clinton <> wrote:
    >> All of a sudden my laptop can't access the files on my PC through my
    >> wireless network (and vice versa). I can still surf the net on either.
    >>
    >> Setup is:
    >>
    >> PC - connected to 3com wireless adsl modem through network cable
    >>
    >> Laptop - connected wirelessly
    >>
    >> Both running XP
    >>
    >> Things were running fine and one day its not.
    >>
    >> I've tried setting up the network again and I don't get any error
    >> messages or anything.
    >>
    >> What I have noticed is that on my PC the network neighbourhood option
    >> is no longer there in the Start menu.
    >>
    >> Any ideas?

    >Do you know the name of the machine you want to connect to?
    >
    >If you don't, go to that machine, and Start, Run, CMD, hostname
    >it will come back with a machine name
    >
    >Go to the machine you want to connect from and go Start, Run, \
    >\machinename
    >
    >If that doesn't work repeat the above but replace "hostname" with
    >ipconfig (from the CMD prompt, should reaply with a address like
    >192.168.0.10) and \\machinename with \\ip.address
    >
    >Once you have connected, you should be able to drag the sharename from
    >the host you are connecting to, to your desktop of the machine you're
    >connect from, that will give you a shortcut so you don't have to jump
    >through all the above hoops everytime
    >
    >Cheers
    >Nathan

    Thanks for that. When I thought back I remembered I had installed
    Nortons Internet Security 2007 around that time and found that I had
    to add the router and each individual PC's IP address on a Trusted
    list.

    Everything works fine now.

    God knows how a newbie who buys an off-the-shelf copy of NIS will
    manage though.
    Jason Clinton, Aug 27, 2007