Where's my color?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by G. Morgan, Jan 6, 2005.

  1. G. Morgan

    G. Morgan Guest

    Subject: Where's my color?
    Newsgroup: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    => Dairy Queen <= wrote:

    >I reformatted my c drive and reinstalled win 98se, but found myself with
    >only 16 colors or 2 colors... how can I get my 256 back?

    Install the drivers for your video card. 256 colors is very low too. A decent
    card supports 32 million colors.

    --
    -Graham

    Remove the 'snails' from my email

    G. Morgan, Jan 6, 2005

  2. G. Morgan

    Barry OGrady Guest

    It was replaced with colour.

    -Barry
    ========
    "I see only with deep regret that God punishes so many of His children for
    their numerous stupidities, for which only He Himself can be held responsible;
    in my opinion, only His nonexistence could excuse Him."
    [A. Einstein (Letter to Edgar Meyer, Jan. 2, 1915)]

    Barry OGrady, Jan 6, 2005

  3. G. Morgan

    Dairy Queen Guest

    Dairy Queen, Jan 6, 2005
  4. G. Morgan

    Dairy Queen Guest

    can you tell me how to figure out what video card i have and where to locate
    the drivers? i lost all sound also...

    Dairy Queen, Jan 6, 2005
  5. G. Morgan

    Steve P Guest

    Try Belarc Advisor from http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html to tell
    you what graphics and sound cards you have then goto manufacurers
    website for latest drivers.

    Steve P, Jan 6, 2005
  6. G. Morgan

    Richard Guest

    On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 21:19:15 -0800 Dairy Queen wrote:

    > I reformatted my c drive and reinstalled win 98se, but found myself
    > with
    > only 16 colors or 2 colors... how can I get my 256 back?

    It would be helpful to know the machine name and operating system.

    You need to start by reinstalling your video card drivers.
    If you need to, go online and go to the manufacturers website.
    Many will list what components come installed with your type of machine.
    Find your manual and look through it.
    If all that fails, go to www.nvidia.com
    They make a lot of drivers for a variety of the most popular cards.
    Ok, it's a shot in the dark, but you can try one by one until you find one
    that works.
    There are also "generic" video card drivers available that may work.

    You probably don't also that have little yellow speaker beside the time
    right?
    In that case, you also need to install the sound drivers.
    "Sound Blaster" is a common driver for that.

    You can also determine the cards by opening the case and looking inside.
    Power off, of course.
    The video card will be the one with the monitor plugged into it, and
    naturally, the speakers are plugged into the sound card.

    I'l get back to you later after I do a little more surfing on this.
    I jsut went through this myself, but having done it a few times, I am
    prepared.
    I saved all the necessary drivers to a folder on another partition for easy
    retrieval.

    Richard, Jan 6, 2005
  7. G. Morgan

    Guest

    On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 22:31:40 -0800, "Dairy Queen"
    <> wrote:

    |> can you tell me how to figure out what video card i have and where to locate
    |> the drivers? i lost all sound also...

    When you boot up your computer the first thing display'd is your video
    card - normally top left of the screen.

    If you hit the pause key it will stop the boot process and you can write
    it down or whatever <enter> to continue.

    Google with what you've found.

    --

    , Jan 6, 2005
  8. G. Morgan

    Richard Guest

    On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 06:39:20 +0000 (UTC) Steve P wrote:

    > Try Belarc Advisor from http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html to
    > tell
    > you what graphics and sound cards you have then goto manufacurers
    > website for latest drivers.

    > "Dairy Queen" <> wrote in message
    >> can you tell me how to figure out what video card i have and where to
    >> locate
    >> the drivers? i lost all sound also...

    Now that, is a must have tool.
    Tells you a lot more than most other junk does.

    Richard, Jan 6, 2005
  9. G. Morgan

    Eli Aran Guest

    i suggest that after you get your output list in Belarc Advisor that you
    print the page for any further refference.
    save the results for the future. you never know when you might need the
    manufactor names again!

    Eli Aran, Jan 6, 2005
  10. G. Morgan

    <> wrote:

    |> I reformatted my c drive and reinstalled win 98se, but found myself with
    |> only 16 colors or 2 colors... how can I get my 256 back?

    Right click on your desktop
    Properties
    settings
    Color

    You can run 256 colors with the default VGA drivers that 98 has.
    More colors than that will most likely require drivers.

    --

    , Jan 6, 2005
  11. G. Morgan

    Ditoa Guest

    On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 00:42:45 -0600, "Richard" <Anonymous@127.001>
    wrote:

    <snipped>

    Umm I don't think installing loads of Nvidia and Sound Blaster drivers
    are going to help her. What if she does an ATI card for example? It
    could kill her system and she might have to reinstall Windows again.

    Ditoa, Jan 6, 2005
  12. G. Morgan

    Guest

    On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 10:34:22 -0800, "Dairy Queen"
    <> wrote:

    |> I want to thank you all for your advice... I have gone to Belarc...
    |> downloaded and printed. (I checked the properties on my desktop long ago
    |> which is how I found I only have two color options) Now I must ask for your
    |> patient advice again. Under display it has the standard pci graphics
    |> adapter, and under that it has OEC 13.2. I ran a search for OEC 13.2
    |> drivers and all I got was sports sites, universities and screwdrivers(????).
    |> As for a sound card the only thing listed on my profile is a wave device for
    |> voice modem??? Any help/ advice would be greatly apreciated.

    Right click on your desktop
    Properties
    settings
    adapter
    change
    Next
    click on "display list of all drivers" > next
    Click on show all hardware
    select standard display types
    select standard PCI graphics adapter (VGA)
    And I guess next, there's only so far I'm going :)

    That will give you at least 256 colors.

    It doesn't appear you have a sound card, in the control panel run "add
    new hardware" and see what's found.

    --
    http://www.weeklyworldnews.com/features/sex/61256

    , Jan 6, 2005
  13. G. Morgan

    Guest

    On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 11:11:14 -0800, "Dairy Queen"
    <> wrote:

    |> I know you probably think I'm a complete moron, and as far as this goes, I
    |> am. I did exactly what you said, step by step and still only have the same
    |> two options when before reinstall I had several. I am drowning here... I
    |> have someone coming over at 3pm to fix all problems, but at $20 an hour I
    |> would like to fix as many as possible before he arrives. Thanks again for
    |> your extreme patience...

    Hate to see you spend money and not going to suggest you do a clean
    install BUT the driver I pointed you to is a standard Win98 driver it
    should be available to you. SInce it's not, other problems seem to be
    involved.

    --
    -zippo?-

    , Jan 6, 2005

    Dairy Queen, Jan 6, 2005
  15. G. Morgan

    Guest

    On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 11:32:27 -0800, "Dairy Queen"
    <> wrote:

    |> Well thanks for trying. I know this guy has the drivers and all, because
    |> this is the 3rd time I have had to pay him. I was trying to learn how to do
    |> this stuff myself so I could save myself some money. Anywho... Any ideas
    |> where I can find a driver for a CMI8330.Audio Adaptor? I am searching the
    |> web now but am finding nothing but bs and more links...

    No reason you HAVE to download anything for what you want.

    http://www.cmedia.com.tw/edl8330.htm

    --

    , Jan 6, 2005
  16. G. Morgan

    <> wrote:

    |> Well thanks for trying. I know this guy has the drivers and all, because
    |> this is the 3rd time I have had to pay him. I was trying to learn how to do
    |> this stuff myself so I could save myself some money. Anywho... Any ideas
    |> where I can find a driver for a CMI8330.Audio Adaptor? I am searching the
    |> web now but am finding nothing but bs and more links...

    Looking at the Belarc report under Motherboard is it listed as PC Chips?

    If so google for drivers for that motherboard, all your drivers should
    be in that file.

    --

    , Jan 6, 2005

    Dairy Queen, Jan 6, 2005
  18. G. Morgan

    Tony Guest

    >I have located a driver site but in order to access the drivers I have to
    >dl
    > PC Booster, GoToMyPC, or SpyBouncer. Does anyone know if any of these is
    > safe?

    I see someone earlier suggested Belarc which is fine to view what's
    installed - I used to use it myself but a better programme is Everest home
    from http://www.lavalys.com/ . It actually gives a clickable link to take
    you straight to the place to download drivers. I would suggest you try
    that. Also if you manage to find the drivers,copy them to a floppy if they
    will fit or CD so you have them in the future.

    HTH
    Tony

    Dairy Queen, Jan 6, 2005
  20. G. Morgan