Wheres he going now

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Mike, Aug 23, 2006.

  1. Mike

    Mike Guest

    Mike, Aug 23, 2006

  2. Mike

    Helen Guest

    Into focus I hope

    "Mike" <> wrote in message
    news:44ec56aa$0$15495$224.net...
    >I was out at the beach yesterday and took this shot of a friend watching
    >her
    > boyfriend trying to windsurf

    See my subject line

    Helen, Aug 23, 2006

  3. Mike

    Lez Pawl Guest

    Lez Pawl, Aug 23, 2006
  4. Mike

    Mike Guest

    "Lez Pawl" <> wrote in message

    > "Mike" <> wrote in message
    >>I was out at the beach yesterday and took this shot of a friend watching
    >>her
    >> boyfriend trying to windsurf
    >> http://community.webshots.com/photo/553415897/2783675380060746915piGoae
    >>
    >> Any comments welcome
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> Mike
    >>

    > poor, poor and more poor...........sorry.

    I can accept the comments Lez but can you tell me what is wrong so I may
    learn and improve

    Thanks Mike

    Mike, Aug 23, 2006
  5. Mike

    Bill Funk Guest

    On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 09:23:05 -0400, "Mike" <> wrote:

    >I was out at the beach yesterday and took this shot of a friend watching her
    >boyfriend trying to windsurf
    >http://community.webshots.com/photo/553415897/2783675380060746915piGoae
    >
    >Any comments welcome
    >
    >Thanks
    >
    >Mike

    The image shows nothing about a boyfriend at all. It's a shot a girl
    looking at whatever is to the left.
    IMVHO, the composition isn't right; the focal point (the girl) is
    smack dab in the center of the shot; very uninteresting. There's far
    too much other stuff cluttering up the shot, fighting with the girl as
    something to look at. The red bouy just shouts to looked at.
    To me, it's a snapshot that obviously means something to you, but it's
    just a vacation snapshot to me.

    --
    Bill Funk
    replace "g" with "a"

    Bill Funk, Aug 23, 2006
  6. Mike

    Matt Clara Guest

    "Mike" <> wrote in message
    >I was out at the beach yesterday and took this shot of a friend watching
    >her
    > boyfriend trying to windsurf
    > http://community.webshots.com/photo/553415897/2783675380060746915piGoae
    >
    > Any comments welcome
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Mike

    How 'bout a better crop? Always examine your image for distracting
    elements, paying particular attention to the edges, 'cause that's where the
    crap creeps in!

    http://www.mattclara.com/misc/lonelydude.jpg

    Didn't realize it's not a dude until just now...sorry. Not a bad shot
    overall. Keep at it!

    --
    Regards,
    Matt Clara

    Matt Clara, Aug 23, 2006
  7. Mike

    Matt Clara Guest

    "Bill Funk" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 09:23:05 -0400, "Mike" <> wrote:
    >
    >>I was out at the beach yesterday and took this shot of a friend watching
    >>her
    >>boyfriend trying to windsurf
    >>http://community.webshots.com/photo/553415897/2783675380060746915piGoae
    >>
    >>Any comments welcome
    >>
    >>Thanks
    >>
    >>Mike
    >>

    > The image shows nothing about a boyfriend at all. It's a shot a girl
    > looking at whatever is to the left.
    > IMVHO, the composition isn't right; the focal point (the girl) is
    > smack dab in the center of the shot; very uninteresting. There's far
    > too much other stuff cluttering up the shot, fighting with the girl as
    > something to look at. The red bouy just shouts to looked at.
    > To me, it's a snapshot that obviously means something to you, but it's
    > just a vacation snapshot to me.

    This shot shows selective focus, deliberate use of limited depth of field,
    and very little else, compositionally speaking. It is, though, more than a
    snap shot. Hey, it's a fine start.

    --
    Regards,
    Matt Clara

    Matt Clara, Aug 24, 2006
  8. Mike

    Mike Guest

    Thanks Matt for the comments and the revised pic. My origanal was un
    "photoshopped" I posted it in its un edited form to get some feedback as to
    where I am possibly going wrong form a composition standpoint. I had infact
    not even thought about cropping it untill you mentioned it.

    Again thanks for the constructive critique it is appreciated.

    Mike

    Mike, Aug 24, 2006
  9. Mike

    Bill K Guest

    Matt Clara wrote:
    > "Bill Funk" <> wrote in message
    > > On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 09:23:05 -0400, "Mike" <> wrote:
    > >
    > >>I was out at the beach yesterday and took this shot of a friend watching
    > >>her
    > >>boyfriend trying to windsurf
    > >>http://community.webshots.com/photo/553415897/2783675380060746915piGoae
    > >>
    > >>Any comments welcome
    > >>
    > >>Thanks
    > >>
    > >>Mike
    > >>

    > > The image shows nothing about a boyfriend at all. It's a shot a girl
    > > looking at whatever is to the left.
    > > IMVHO, the composition isn't right; the focal point (the girl) is
    > > smack dab in the center of the shot; very uninteresting. There's far
    > > too much other stuff cluttering up the shot, fighting with the girl as
    > > something to look at. The red bouy just shouts to looked at.
    > > To me, it's a snapshot that obviously means something to you, but it's
    > > just a vacation snapshot to me.
    > >

    > This shot shows selective focus, deliberate use of limited depth of field,
    > and very little else, compositionally speaking. It is, though, more than a
    > snap shot. Hey, it's a fine start.
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    > Matt Clara
    > www.mattclara.com

    Good comments, Matt. The composition is uninspired but learning is the
    fun part of photography. Mike is certainly off to a good start. I
    admire him for posting his work for critique knowing full well it's
    going to bring out the worst in some posters.
    --
    Bill in Lake Charles

    Bill K, Aug 24, 2006
  10. Mike

    Mike Guest

    Thanks Bill I appreciate the honesty

    Mike

    Mike, Aug 24, 2006
  11. Mike

    Roy G Guest

    "Mike" <> wrote in message
    >I was out at the beach yesterday and took this shot of a friend watching
    >her
    > boyfriend trying to windsurf
    > http://community.webshots.com/photo/553415897/2783675380060746915piGoae
    >
    > Any comments welcome
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Mike

    Hi.

    The main problem with that picture, apart from the poor composition, is its
    overall lack of sharpness.

    Some of your other Albums, especially the Birds of prey are much better that
    way, but you really need to concentrate on getting the main subject sharp

    You may have been trying for an Arty Crafty shot of the Girl, but you should
    have asked her to look somewhere other than her toes. The Red Buoy is far
    too prominent, and takes over the whole shot.

    Have a look at some of the other work linked to in this group. They are not
    all good, but some are exceptionally good, and you may pick up some ideas
    for the direction you want to go with your own work.

    Roy G

    Roy G, Aug 24, 2006