    Any words of wisdom out there??

    Thanks,

    Tim

    Tim, Jul 12, 2007

  2. Tim wrote:
    > HELP. I think I'm hosed. Running Mozilla 1.5 in Libranet Linux.
    > A few nights ago, the Inbox started behaving wierdly. Then
    > disappeared. So did the Inbox.msf file. I made the mistake of
    > downloading a message. Now I have a new Inbox.msf and Inbox with
    > one message in it.
    >
    > I probably let the original get too big and didn't Compact it.
    >
    > Any words of wisdom out there??
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Tim

    did you accidently create a new profile?

    when you looked for the *.msf file, you did so with the
    program closed?

    one. Thanks!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Jul 12, 2007

  3. Tim

    Tony Raven Guest

    Tim wrote:
    > HELP. I think I'm hosed. Running Mozilla 1.5 in Libranet Linux. A few
    > nights ago, the Inbox started behaving wierdly. Then disappeared. So
    > did the Inbox.msf file. I made the mistake of downloading a message.
    > Now I have a new Inbox.msf and Inbox with one message in it.
    >
    > I probably let the original get too big and didn't Compact it.
    >
    > Any words of wisdom out there??

    Open the Inbox file in a text editor to see what is in there and have a
    look at how large the file size is. That should give you a clue as to
    whether it still contains your messages. Also check that it is the
    right Inbox file and not a different one or one in a different profile.
    Otherwise it back to your backup. You do make backups don't you?

    Tony

    Tony Raven, Jul 12, 2007
  4. Tim

    Tim Guest

    Tony Raven wrote:
    > Tim wrote:
    >
    >> HELP. I think I'm hosed. Running Mozilla 1.5 in Libranet Linux. A
    >> few nights ago, the Inbox started behaving wierdly. Then
    >> disappeared. So did the Inbox.msf file. I made the mistake of
    >> downloading a message. Now I have a new Inbox.msf and Inbox with one
    >> message in it.
    >>
    >> I probably let the original get too big and didn't Compact it.
    >>
    >> Any words of wisdom out there??
    >>

    > Open the Inbox file in a text editor to see what is in there and have a
    > look at how large the file size is. That should give you a clue as to
    > whether it still contains your messages. Also check that it is the
    > right Inbox file and not a different one or one in a different profile.
    > Otherwise it back to your backup. You do make backups don't you?
    >
    > Tony

    Thanks Tony and Peter. There is only one profile. The new Inbox
    is small - one message. I guess the old one is toast.

    I backup, but not nearly enough and there is nothing real
    important here, so no big loss. But a good lesson.

    Tim

    Tim, Jul 15, 2007