    --
    R.G. "Stumpy" Marsh.
    Timaru, New Zealand.
    R. G. 'Stumpy' Marsh, Dec 9, 2005

  2. R. G. 'Stumpy' Marsh

    ~misfit~ Guest

    R. G. 'Stumpy' Marsh wrote:
    > I'm having trouble with a Toshiba notebook losing its external
    > monitor. All was well one night, then the next day I couldn't get it
    > to see the external monitor no matter what I tried. The only new
    > install was Skype... shouldn't be a problem, right? Nothing else has
    > changed.
    >
    > I've tried rolling back using System Restore. Is there anything else
    > I can try short of a full recovery? Or is it more likely to be a
    > hardware problem?

    There's a function button to turn it on and off right? I take it you've
    tried that.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Dec 9, 2005

  3. In message <>, "~misfit~"
    <> wrote:

    >R. G. 'Stumpy' Marsh wrote:
    >> I'm having trouble with a Toshiba notebook losing its external
    >> monitor. All was well one night, then the next day I couldn't get it
    >> to see the external monitor no matter what I tried. The only new
    >> install was Skype... shouldn't be a problem, right? Nothing else has
    >> changed.
    >>
    >> I've tried rolling back using System Restore. Is there anything else
    >> I can try short of a full recovery? Or is it more likely to be a
    >> hardware problem?

    >There's a function button to turn it on and off right? I take it you've
    >tried that.

    Not that I can find. And besides, that would surely only play with
    the software settings?

    --
    R.G. "Stumpy" Marsh.
    Timaru, New Zealand.
    R. G. 'Stumpy' Marsh, Dec 9, 2005
  4. In message <>, "~misfit~"
    <> wrote:

    >There's a function button to turn it on and off right? I take it you've
    >tried that.

    Oh wait... I see what you mean... that ain't it.
    --
    R.G. "Stumpy" Marsh.
    Timaru, New Zealand.
    R. G. 'Stumpy' Marsh, Dec 9, 2005
  5. R. G. 'Stumpy' Marsh

    ~misfit~ Guest

    R. G. 'Stumpy' Marsh wrote:
    > In message <>, "~misfit~"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> There's a function button to turn it on and off right? I take it
    >> you've tried that.

    > Oh wait... I see what you mean... that ain't it.

    Ok, worth a shot. I had a Tosh once and the external display had to be
    turned on with a two-key push for it to work.

    Hope you get it sorted.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Dec 10, 2005
  6. In message <439a33f6$>, "~misfit~"
    <> wrote:

    >R. G. 'Stumpy' Marsh wrote:
    >> In message <>, "~misfit~"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> There's a function button to turn it on and off right? I take it
    >>> you've tried that.

    >> Oh wait... I see what you mean... that ain't it.

    >Ok, worth a shot. I had a Tosh once and the external display had to be
    >turned on with a two-key push for it to work.
    >
    >Hope you get it sorted.

    Full recovery and no dice... off to the repair agent it goes. :-(

    --
    R.G. "Stumpy" Marsh.
    Timaru, New Zealand.
    R. G. 'Stumpy' Marsh, Dec 10, 2005
  7. R. G. 'Stumpy' Marsh

    ~misfit~ Guest

    R. G. 'Stumpy' Marsh wrote:
    > In message <439a33f6$>, "~misfit~"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> R. G. 'Stumpy' Marsh wrote:

    >>> Oh wait... I see what you mean... that ain't it.

    >> Ok, worth a shot. I had a Tosh once and the external display had to
    >> be turned on with a two-key push for it to work.
    >>
    >> Hope you get it sorted.

    > Full recovery and no dice... off to the repair agent it goes. :-(

    :-(

    I hope they get it back to you in a timely fashion.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Dec 10, 2005
  8. John in Surrey, Dec 10, 2005
  9. In message <>, John in
    Surrey <> wrote:

    >>> Full recovery and no dice... off to the repair agent it goes. :-(

    >the recovery cd isnt going to toggle the switch to turn it on....

    Toggled everything before we got that far.

    --
    R.G. "Stumpy" Marsh.
    Timaru, New Zealand.
    R. G. 'Stumpy' Marsh, Dec 10, 2005
  10. R. G. 'Stumpy' Marsh

    steve Guest

    R. G. 'Stumpy' Marsh wrote:

    > Not that I can find. And besides, that would surely only play with
    > the software settings?

    No.

    It talks to the laptop BIOS, I think.

    An IBM thinkpad, for example, would cycle around

    lt-scrn only / lt-scrn+external / external-only

    .....regardless of what OS was booted - DOS or Windows or OS/2 or Linux or
    whatever.
    steve, Dec 10, 2005
  11. R. G. 'Stumpy' Marsh

    steve Guest

    R. G. 'Stumpy' Marsh wrote:

    > I'm having trouble with a Toshiba notebook losing its external
    > monitor. All was well one night, then the next day I couldn't get it
    > to see the external monitor no matter what I tried. The only new
    > install was Skype... shouldn't be a problem, right? Nothing else has
    > changed.
    >
    > I've tried rolling back using System Restore. Is there anything else
    > I can try short of a full recovery? Or is it more likely to be a
    > hardware problem?

    Did any coincidental update alter the defaults for the external screen?

    It may now be deciding the default frequencies won't work...and so it
    doesn't display.

    Have you tried booting Knoppix from CD and seeing if it works? That would
    utterly rule out anything to do with software and point to the laptop
    itself.
    steve, Dec 10, 2005
  12. In message <>, steve
    <> wrote:

    >Did any coincidental update alter the defaults for the external screen?

    Unlikely.

    >It may now be deciding the default frequencies won't work...and so it
    >doesn't display.

    It's been tried with several different externals.

    >Have you tried booting Knoppix from CD and seeing if it works? That would
    >utterly rule out anything to do with software and point to the laptop
    >itself.

    Haven't tried that yet... I'll bear it in mind.
    --
    R.G. "Stumpy" Marsh.
    Timaru, New Zealand.
    R. G. 'Stumpy' Marsh, Dec 11, 2005
  13. In message <>, steve
    <> wrote:

    >R. G. 'Stumpy' Marsh wrote:
    >

    >> Not that I can find. And besides, that would surely only play with
    >> the software settings?

    >No.
    >
    >It talks to the laptop BIOS, I think.
    >
    >An IBM thinkpad, for example, would cycle around
    >
    >lt-scrn only / lt-scrn+external / external-only
    >
    >....regardless of what OS was booted - DOS or Windows or OS/2 or Linux or
    >whatever.

    That's still software. The Toshiba has a similar two-key combo that
    does the same thing. Tried that, no dice.
    --
    R.G. "Stumpy" Marsh.
    Timaru, New Zealand.
    R. G. 'Stumpy' Marsh, Dec 11, 2005