    enabled.

    What else needs to be done to turn on Java script?

    TIA.
    skip, Nov 21, 2007

  2. skip wrote:

    > and scripting of Java applets is enabled.

    Be wary.

    And just in case you weren't aware, Java and JavaScript are two entirely
    different things. As an (safe) example, this page uses both (to display
    the time):

    http://nist.time.gov/timezone.cgi?Eastern/d/-5/java

    Sorry, I don't have IE7.

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Nov 21, 2007

  3. skip

    skip Guest

    > skip wrote:
    >
    >> and scripting of Java applets is enabled.

    > Be wary.
    >
    > And just in case you weren't aware, Java and JavaScript are two entirely
    > different things. As an (safe) example, this page uses both (to display
    > the time):
    >
    > http://nist.time.gov/timezone.cgi?Eastern/d/-5/java
    >
    > Sorry, I don't have IE7.
    >
    > --

    Thank you Mr. Shagnasty. My unfortunate ignorance of Java and JavaScript
    makes me naturally wary.

    Am I correct in assuming JavaScript is enabled since I see the time
    displayed at the link you provided?
    skip, Nov 21, 2007
  4. skip wrote:

    > "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" wrote:
    >> skip wrote:
    >>> .. and scripting of Java applets is enabled.

    >> Be wary.
    >>
    >> And just in case you weren't aware, Java and JavaScript are two
    >> entirely different things. As an (safe) example, this page uses both
    >> (to display the time):
    >>
    >> http://nist.time.gov/timezone.cgi?Eastern/d/-5/java

    > Thank you Mr. Shagnasty. My unfortunate ignorance of Java and
    > JavaScript makes me naturally wary.

    A basic description of Java (applets) is actual programs downloaded and
    run on your computer. Unscrupulous authors can do some nasty things to
    your computer.

    JavaScript is used for enhancements actually embedded within the HTML
    code of a web page.

    > Am I correct in assuming JavaScript is enabled since I see the time
    > displayed at the link you provided?

    Yes, but so is Java. <g>

    If you examine the source code of the time page, you will find a Java
    applet called by the code:

    <applet code="utcnist4.class" codebase="/" width="350" height="100"
    ignore>
    <param name="MINUTESOFFSET" value="-300">
    <param name="BACKGROUNDCOLOR" value="0x00695E">
    <param name="FOREGROUNDCOLOR" value="0xFFFFEE">
    </applet>

    ...plus lots of *JavaScript* in the heading of the page, surrounded by

    <script language="javascript1.1">
    </script>

    --
    -bts