    I've seen alot of discussion about the Server 2003 and such but are these
    even still currents exams? Can anyone point me in the right direction of what
    to expect, cost to me (self-study) and which exams to take?

    Jennifer M, Feb 8, 2010

  2. Jennifer M

    Chris M Guest

    On 08/02/2010 16:11, Jennifer M wrote:
    > I'm looking to get my MCSE this year but I'm not sure where to even start?
    > I've seen alot of discussion about the Server 2003 and such but are these
    > even still currents exams? Can anyone point me in the right direction of what
    > to expect, cost to me (self-study) and which exams to take?

    Go to Google, type 'MCSE' and click the first result :) Here it is anyway:

    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/mcse.aspx

    The MCSE for Windows Server 2003 will require you to pass a minimum of
    seven exams (details are in the page above), depending on how you decide
    to do it.

    The MCSE certification ended with Windows Server 2003 - you can still
    take the exams and since most companies will be running Windows Server
    2003 for a long while yet, it's still a valuable and relevant
    certification to have.

    However, Windows Server 2008 is the latest version of Windows Server.
    The closest equivalent to the MCSE on Windows Server 2008 is the
    MCITP:EA certification:

    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/mcitp.aspx#tab2

    The MCITP:EA cert only requires five exams (and the ones I've taken have
    been easier than the 2003 ones, although I think that the core exams are
    going to be replaced with more simulation-based ones).

    You may want to start with something smaller and work up (for example,
    start with the MCSA or the MCITP:SA certifications). Many of the exams
    overlap - some of the ones for the MCSA will also count towards the
    MCSE, same goes for the MCITP:SA and EA certs.

    My advice would be to study the technology that you know best. If you've
    already got plenty of Server 2003 experience, perhaps do the MCSE. If
    you're equally experienced (or inexperienced) in both 2003 and 2008, you
    might decide to go for the MCITP track.

    As for cost, you don't mention which country you're in. In the UK, the
    Microsoft exams are all £88 each (there may be exceptions but I've never
    come across one). The Microsoft Training Kit books can be picked up from
    Amazon for around £30. Read the reviews though, some of the MS Press
    books are awful (70-297 anyone? :) You should be able to find out how
    much the exams are (and your nearast testing centres) from the Prometric
    site:

    http://www.prometric.com/

    Get yourself Virtual PC/VirtualBox or some other virtualisation software
    of your choice, plenty of RAM in a fast machine and build yourself a
    test Active Directory infrastructure to test with.

    Also keep in mind that the Second Shot offer is currently running. You
    get a free retake of any exam that you fail if you do the first one and
    the retake before the end of June:

    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/offers/Career.aspx#certification

    Last, but certainly not least - read my first sentence again. Most of
    your questions have already been answered if you just search for them.

    Good luck!

    --
    Chris M.
    MBCS CITP

    Chris M, Feb 8, 2010

  3. Jennifer M

    Frisbee® Guest

    Jennifer M wrote:
    > I'm looking to get my MCSE this year but I'm not sure where to even
    > start? I've seen alot of discussion about the Server 2003 and such
    > but are these even still currents exams? Can anyone point me in the
    > right direction of what to expect, cost to me (self-study) and which
    > exams to take?

    Hi, Jennifer! R U Hawt?

    Frisbee®, Feb 9, 2010
  4. Jennifer M

    Network Guru Guest

    > Hi, Jennifer! R U Hawt?

    I knew you wrote that even before I opened the message. That is your
    trademark. Ain't I the smartest MCNGP? Or at least one of the top 55
    smartest?

    Network Guru, Feb 12, 2010
  5. Jennifer M

    kpg Guest

    "Network Guru" <> wrote in news:uefh$45qKHA.3908
    @TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl:

    >> Hi, Jennifer! R U Hawt?
    >>

    > I knew you wrote that even before I opened the message. That is your
    > trademark. Ain't I the smartest MCNGP? Or at least one of the top 55
    > smartest?

    The function to determine the samrtest MCNGP for any given day is as
    follows:

    Randomize Timer
    Smartassed = (Weekday(Now) * 42 + Rnd() * 100) Mod 55

    Sorry about that.

    kpg, Feb 26, 2010