Where to report phoney MS Sites and virus attacks...

Discussion in 'MCSD' started by ¢harlie, Jan 16, 2004.

  1. ¢harlie

    ¢harlie Guest

    Hi,

    I keep getting emails from a number of phony sites claiming that they are MS
    and are sending
    me a security update.

    The problem is that the download program that they are sending is the
    W32.Swen.A@m
    and W32.Swen.A@mm virus.

    Some of the purported originating email addresses are:

    "MS Technical Bulletin"
    "Microsoft Security Department"
    "Security Division"
    "Microsoft Corporation Program Security Division"

    "Microsoft Corporation Security Department"
    "Customer Bulletin" tidwjwjgw@updates_msdn.net
    "Microsoft"

    I have simply been deleting them but perhaps MS would like to know who is
    doing this.

    I can just keep blocking and deleting them but this stuff may get through to
    others and cause
    some real damage.

    What should I do?

    Thank you,

    ¢harlie, Jan 16, 2004

  2. In news: iDSNb.80972$na.43814@attbi_s04,
    ¢harlie <> wrote:
    > I keep getting emails from a number of phony sites claiming that they
    > are MS and are sending me a security update. ....
    > I have simply been deleting them but perhaps MS would like to know
    > who is doing this.

    Hi Charlie,

    Microsoft has been aware of this problem for a long time (seems like this
    virus has been around for a year). There's no way they can control the
    virus, other than warning users to practice good security (have up-to_date
    AV software, don't click on unexpected attachments, etc.)

    Continue using your email rules to block and/or delete these messages.
    There's really nothing else you can do.

    www.cindywinegarden.com

    Cindy Winegarden, Jan 16, 2004

  3. Cindy Winegarden wrote:
    > In news: iDSNb.80972$na.43814@attbi_s04,
    > ¢harlie <> wrote:
    >> I keep getting emails from a number of phony sites claiming that they
    >> are MS and are sending me a security update. ....
    >> I have simply been deleting them but perhaps MS would like to know
    >> who is doing this.

    > Hi Charlie,
    >
    > Microsoft has been aware of this problem for a long time (seems like
    > this virus has been around for a year). There's no way they can
    > control the virus, other than warning users to practice good security
    > (have up-to_date AV software, don't click on unexpected attachments,
    > etc.)
    >
    > Continue using your email rules to block and/or delete these messages.
    > There's really nothing else you can do.

    Munge your e-mail address, never use your real e-mail addy in newsgroups,
    especially the MS groups. Wait about 90 days or so for the archives of your
    e-mail signed posts to drop off, then the number of Swen's should drop off.
    At one point, I was getting 2,000 Swen's a day. It got so bad I had to
    terminate the account.

    --
    Fris "Eternal Optimist" bee® MCNGP #13

    http://www.mcngp.tk
    The MCNGP Team - We're here to help

    =?Windows-1252?Q?Frisbee=AE_MCNGP?=, Jan 16, 2004
  4. ¢harlie

    ¢harlie Guest

    In addition to not posting email addresses in newsgroups,
    I would recommend using yahoo.com email, (this is how I caught this problem)
    because they automatically and for free, scan any files that you attempt to
    download.

    Thanks,

    ¢harlie, Jan 16, 2004
  5. ¢harlie

    ¢harlie Guest

    Hi Cindy,

    Thanks for the response.

    I wasn't concerned about the virus, what I was concerned about
    was that people are fraudulently using MS' namespace to hurt people.

    ¢harlie, Jan 17, 2004