    re-released on DVD but can anybody recommend a place or two that specializes
    in these earlier titles (VHS or DVD)?

    Thanks for your help, Steve.

    Steve, Oct 9, 2003

  2. Steve

    Skid Guest

    "Steve" <> wrote in message
    news:...

    > Hi,
    >
    > I was excited to trial NetFlix but was surprised when I couldn't find some
    > of the early Academy Award winners from the 30's, 40's (King of Jazz,
    > Disraeli, The Divorcee, etc). Most likely these simply haven't been
    > re-released on DVD but can anybody recommend a place or two that

    specializes
    > in these earlier titles (VHS or DVD)?
    >
    > Thanks for your help, Steve.

    Using the search function at www.imdb.com will help you figure out whether a
    particular title has been released on VHS or DVD.

    After that you can try www.dvdpricesearch.com for the best price on DVDs.
    www.amazon.com has the best selection of VHS still in print, and
    www.ebay.com can be a source for OOP titles.

    It can be even harder to find a place that rents older titles, small local
    shops specializing in the classics are usually the best bet, though the
    selection is hit-or-miss. Like it or not, Netflix has the biggest selection
    of any rental outfit, and they don't have everything.

    Skid, Oct 9, 2003

  3. Steve

    Dgates Guest

    On Thu, 09 Oct 2003 15:12:26 GMT, "Skid" <>
    wrote:

    >"Steve" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I was excited to trial NetFlix but was surprised when I couldn't find some
    >> of the early Academy Award winners from the 30's, 40's (King of Jazz,
    >> Disraeli, The Divorcee, etc). Most likely these simply haven't been
    >> re-released on DVD but can anybody recommend a place or two that

    >specializes
    >> in these earlier titles (VHS or DVD)?
    >>
    >> Thanks for your help, Steve.

    >Using the search function at www.imdb.com will help you figure out whether a
    >particular title has been released on VHS or DVD.

    Actually, I think that IMDB will only tell you if Amazon.com carries
    the title on VHS or DVD (since the information is presented in the
    form of a link to Amazon.com's website).

    Dgates, Oct 9, 2003
  4. Steve

    Skid Guest

    "Dgates" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 09 Oct 2003 15:12:26 GMT, "Skid" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    > >"Steve" <> wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> Hi,
    > >>
    > >> I was excited to trial NetFlix but was surprised when I couldn't find

    some
    > >> of the early Academy Award winners from the 30's, 40's (King of Jazz,
    > >> Disraeli, The Divorcee, etc). Most likely these simply haven't been
    > >> re-released on DVD but can anybody recommend a place or two that

    > >specializes
    > >> in these earlier titles (VHS or DVD)?
    > >>
    > >> Thanks for your help, Steve.

    > >Using the search function at www.imdb.com will help you figure out

    whether a
    > >particular title has been released on VHS or DVD.

    > Actually, I think that IMDB will only tell you if Amazon.com carries
    > the title on VHS or DVD (since the information is presented in the
    > form of a link to Amazon.com's website).

    IMDB doesn't list only the versions available on Amazon. (Check the "DVD
    details" and "alternate versions" links as well as the "shop" link.) For
    example, they tell you about DVD releases in other regions and alternate
    versions no longer available.

    I'm not sure their list includes absolutely every DVD or VHS title ever
    released, but it's quick and usually correct. There are other lists of all
    DVDs in print at other sites, but they're not as simple to use and search,
    IMHO.

    Skid, Oct 10, 2003
  5. Steve

    Marsha Guest