where to get WordPad for Windows 98?

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Paul, Jun 8, 2011.

  1. Paul

    Paul Guest

    t@t@. wrote:
    > I'm trying to find WordPad for Windows 98. Is it version 3.0? I tried at the
    > Microsoft site and couldn't find anything, and haven't been able to find it
    > anywhere else either. Can anyone suggest someplace?


    Maybe try a group like microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion ?
    That's where the win98 people hang out.

    My copy of wordpad.inf shows a bunch of files would be needed
    to install wordpad.

    ; WORDPAD.INF
    ;
    ; This is the Setup information file to install WordPad
    ; as an Optional Component.
    ;
    ; Copyright (c) 1993-1995 Microsoft Corporation

    So it isn't just a matter of having someone email you a copy of
    ""%24%\%PROGRAMF%\%ACCESSOR%\WORDPAD.EXE""" or the like. It would
    have to be a complete set of files, or a CAB or something.

    When files come on an OS installer disc, there isn't much reason
    for Microsoft to offer them for download. The closest you get
    to such a service, is a Technet subscription. You'd be better
    off looking for a Win98 disc on Ebay, to get the file set needed.

    Microsoft has offered "Microsoft WordView" over the years, with
    the purpose being, to allow people to view/read but not
    author Word documents. I use that on this computer, when
    the occasion arises. It might be a bit easier to find an older
    version of that, than Wordpad itself.

    Paul
    Paul, Jun 8, 2011
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Paul

    t@t@. Guest

    I'm trying to find WordPad for Windows 98. Is it version 3.0? I tried at the
    Microsoft site and couldn't find anything, and haven't been able to find it
    anywhere else either. Can anyone suggest someplace?
    t@t@., Jun 8, 2011
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. <t@t@.> wrote in message news:...
    > I'm trying to find WordPad for Windows 98. Is it version 3.0? I tried at
    > the
    > Microsoft site and couldn't find anything, and haven't been able to find
    > it
    > anywhere else either. Can anyone suggest someplace?


    It comes with Win98. You have to re-install.

    Why would anybody want Win98? I get that you like the graphic interface, but
    you can install XP and retain the interface. Of course, XP is gonna go out
    and look for Updates that will utterly kill your perephials -- printer,
    scanner, and so on. But, Win98! Seriously. You need to get with the '90s.
    Jeff Strickland, Jun 9, 2011
    #3
  4. Paul

    Shaun Guest

    "Paul" wrote in message news:isom5n$l4c$...

    t@t@. wrote:
    > I'm trying to find WordPad for Windows 98. Is it version 3.0? I tried at
    > the
    > Microsoft site and couldn't find anything, and haven't been able to find
    > it
    > anywhere else either. Can anyone suggest someplace?


    Maybe try a group like microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion ?
    That's where the win98 people hang out.

    My copy of wordpad.inf shows a bunch of files would be needed
    to install wordpad.

    ; WORDPAD.INF
    ;
    ; This is the Setup information file to install WordPad
    ; as an Optional Component.
    ;
    ; Copyright (c) 1993-1995 Microsoft Corporation

    So it isn't just a matter of having someone email you a copy of
    ""%24%\%PROGRAMF%\%ACCESSOR%\WORDPAD.EXE""" or the like. It would
    have to be a complete set of files, or a CAB or something.

    When files come on an OS installer disc, there isn't much reason
    for Microsoft to offer them for download. The closest you get
    to such a service, is a Technet subscription. You'd be better
    off looking for a Win98 disc on Ebay, to get the file set needed.

    Microsoft has offered "Microsoft WordView" over the years, with
    the purpose being, to allow people to view/read but not
    author Word documents. I use that on this computer, when
    the occasion arises. It might be a bit easier to find an older
    version of that, than Wordpad itself.

    Paul

    You could check electronic recycling depots, that is where your OLD computer
    belongs.

    Shaun
    Shaun, Jun 9, 2011
    #4
  5. Paul

    Mike Easter Guest

    Shaun wrote:

    > Paul
    >
    > You could check electronic recycling depots, that is where your OLD
    > computer belongs.
    >
    > Shaun


    Shaun, notice that your email application which you are using to post to
    a usenet group does not work properly here.

    WLM Windows Live Mail is completely unsatisfactory for conversing on
    usenet because it has lost the ability to quote the previous material
    which ability was present in OE Outlook Express and its successor WM
    Windows Mail, which could be used satisfactorily for such purposes.

    If you want to use a MS proprietary app to read and post to usenet, you
    should use Wimdows Mail, not WLM.

    If your OS is Win7, WM did not come installed by default as it did in
    Vista, but it can be reinstated, it is just a certain amount of trouble.

    Personally I would use something else; but in either case, it should be
    WM or something else. WLM is not an option.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Jun 9, 2011
    #5
  6. Paul

    Jon Danniken Guest

    t@t@. wrote:
    > I'm trying to find WordPad for Windows 98. Is it version 3.0? I tried
    > at the Microsoft site and couldn't find anything, and haven't been
    > able to find it anywhere else either. Can anyone suggest someplace?


    You might try Cetus WordPad; it's pretty much the same thing, with the
    addition of a spellchecker.

    http://www.cetussoft.com/cwordpad.htm

    Jon
    Jon Danniken, Jun 9, 2011
    #6
  7. <t@t@.> wrote in message news:...
    > On Wed, 8 Jun 2011 17:05:32 -0700, "Jeff Strickland" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>
    >><t@t@.> wrote in message
    >>news:...
    >>> I'm trying to find WordPad for Windows 98. Is it version 3.0? I tried at
    >>> the
    >>> Microsoft site and couldn't find anything, and haven't been able to find
    >>> it
    >>> anywhere else either. Can anyone suggest someplace?

    >>
    >>It comes with Win98. You have to re-install.
    >>
    >>Why would anybody want Win98? I get that you like the graphic interface,
    >>but
    >>you can install XP and retain the interface. Of course, XP is gonna go out
    >>and look for Updates that will utterly kill your perephials -- printer,
    >>scanner, and so on. But, Win98! Seriously. You need to get with the '90s.

    >
    > Years ago I decided to make documents using Notepad and WordPad since
    > they're on
    > every PC, so I could open them on any PC without any problem. Microsoft
    > was on
    > to that idea apparently, so they changed WordPad so it would NOT open
    > WordPad
    > documents any more. Why was that clever of them? Just because it screwed
    > everyone who had put trust in them? Or was it clever for some other
    > reason(s)
    > too, like it would screw people into paying more money for something like
    > Office
    > that they didn't want to buy except for the fact that they're screwed out
    > of
    > being able to open their older documents because Microsoft deliberately
    > screwed
    > them so they would have to buy Office.... So I hoped I could get an old
    > version
    > of WordPad to open my old documents with. Now I'm finding we're screwed
    > there
    > too, and that would explain why you can't just go to Microsoft and
    > download a
    > program to get off their cock with...still screwed... There has to be a
    > solution, but I'm really getting tired of spending hours of my online time
    > just
    > trying to get back to be able to open docs I had no problem opening before
    > Microsoft screwed us. It's pretty much the same as it would be if they
    > screwed
    > us with a virus, and I really do NOT want to pay them extra for doing it.
    >
    > Is there something free that would open them, and make new documents as
    > easily
    > as WordPad did/does where you can just paste in .jpgs and enter text, and
    > can
    > carry around on a thumbdrive so when you get on a computer that doesn't
    > have
    > that program you'll have it right there?


    WordPad creates RTF (rich text file, or rich text format) files that support
    bold, italics, and underline -- as well as other formatting features -- that
    NotePad does not support.

    You can visit OpenOffice.org and get FREE OpenOffice. This free office suite
    can open and edit rich text, spreadsheet, and presentation files. I do not
    use it, but have installed it for my neice, so I can't say that it will open
    database files or not. Since database files can be made with the MSoft
    Office Suite, and OpenOffice is a free product targetted to pull people away
    from MSoft, then it stands to reason that there is a database application.

    I can't imagine that a current version of WordPad will not open an RTF file
    created with an earlier version of WordPad. Something does not add up here.
    But whatever... You can get OpenOffice for free, and open & create new RTF
    files.
    Jeff Strickland, Jun 9, 2011
    #7
  8. Paul

    Krypsis Guest

    On 10/06/2011 3:15 AM, t@t@. wrote:
    > On Wed, 8 Jun 2011 17:05:32 -0700, "Jeff Strickland"<>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>
    >> <t@t@.> wrote in message news:...
    >>> I'm trying to find WordPad for Windows 98. Is it version 3.0? I tried at
    >>> the
    >>> Microsoft site and couldn't find anything, and haven't been able to find
    >>> it
    >>> anywhere else either. Can anyone suggest someplace?

    >>
    >> It comes with Win98. You have to re-install.
    >>
    >> Why would anybody want Win98? I get that you like the graphic interface, but
    >> you can install XP and retain the interface. Of course, XP is gonna go out
    >> and look for Updates that will utterly kill your perephials -- printer,
    >> scanner, and so on. But, Win98! Seriously. You need to get with the '90s.

    >
    > Years ago I decided to make documents using Notepad and WordPad since they're on
    > every PC, so I could open them on any PC without any problem. Microsoft was on
    > to that idea apparently, so they changed WordPad so it would NOT open WordPad
    > documents any more. Why was that clever of them? Just because it screwed
    > everyone who had put trust in them? Or was it clever for some other reason(s)
    > too, like it would screw people into paying more money for something like Office
    > that they didn't want to buy except for the fact that they're screwed out of
    > being able to open their older documents because Microsoft deliberately screwed
    > them so they would have to buy Office.... So I hoped I could get an old version
    > of WordPad to open my old documents with. Now I'm finding we're screwed there
    > too, and that would explain why you can't just go to Microsoft and download a
    > program to get off their cock with...still screwed... There has to be a
    > solution, but I'm really getting tired of spending hours of my online time just
    > trying to get back to be able to open docs I had no problem opening before
    > Microsoft screwed us. It's pretty much the same as it would be if they screwed
    > us with a virus, and I really do NOT want to pay them extra for doing it.
    >
    > Is there something free that would open them, and make new documents as easily
    > as WordPad did/does where you can just paste in .jpgs and enter text, and can
    > carry around on a thumbdrive so when you get on a computer that doesn't have
    > that program you'll have it right there?


    Why not try http://www.liberkey.com/en/

    It's a suite of portable applications that does not need to be installed
    into windows specifically. They can run quite happily on a thumbdrive. I
    have the entire suite on my harddrive, thumbdrive and an external hard
    drive. The suite is up to 309 applications now which can service most of
    your utility needs.

    Worth a look

    Krypsis
    Krypsis, Jun 9, 2011
    #8
  9. Paul

    Krypsis Guest

    On 10/06/2011 1:26 AM, Jeff Strickland wrote:
    > <t@t@.> wrote in message news:...
    >> On Wed, 8 Jun 2011 17:05:32 -0700, "Jeff Strickland"<>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>
    >>> <t@t@.> wrote in message
    >>> news:...
    >>>> I'm trying to find WordPad for Windows 98. Is it version 3.0? I tried at
    >>>> the
    >>>> Microsoft site and couldn't find anything, and haven't been able to find
    >>>> it
    >>>> anywhere else either. Can anyone suggest someplace?
    >>>
    >>> It comes with Win98. You have to re-install.
    >>>
    >>> Why would anybody want Win98? I get that you like the graphic interface,
    >>> but
    >>> you can install XP and retain the interface. Of course, XP is gonna go out
    >>> and look for Updates that will utterly kill your perephials -- printer,
    >>> scanner, and so on. But, Win98! Seriously. You need to get with the '90s.

    >>
    >> Years ago I decided to make documents using Notepad and WordPad since
    >> they're on
    >> every PC, so I could open them on any PC without any problem. Microsoft
    >> was on
    >> to that idea apparently, so they changed WordPad so it would NOT open
    >> WordPad
    >> documents any more. Why was that clever of them? Just because it screwed
    >> everyone who had put trust in them? Or was it clever for some other
    >> reason(s)
    >> too, like it would screw people into paying more money for something like
    >> Office
    >> that they didn't want to buy except for the fact that they're screwed out
    >> of
    >> being able to open their older documents because Microsoft deliberately
    >> screwed
    >> them so they would have to buy Office.... So I hoped I could get an old
    >> version
    >> of WordPad to open my old documents with. Now I'm finding we're screwed
    >> there
    >> too, and that would explain why you can't just go to Microsoft and
    >> download a
    >> program to get off their cock with...still screwed... There has to be a
    >> solution, but I'm really getting tired of spending hours of my online time
    >> just
    >> trying to get back to be able to open docs I had no problem opening before
    >> Microsoft screwed us. It's pretty much the same as it would be if they
    >> screwed
    >> us with a virus, and I really do NOT want to pay them extra for doing it.
    >>
    >> Is there something free that would open them, and make new documents as
    >> easily
    >> as WordPad did/does where you can just paste in .jpgs and enter text, and
    >> can
    >> carry around on a thumbdrive so when you get on a computer that doesn't
    >> have
    >> that program you'll have it right there?

    >
    > WordPad creates RTF (rich text file, or rich text format) files that support
    > bold, italics, and underline -- as well as other formatting features -- that
    > NotePad does not support.
    >
    > You can visit OpenOffice.org and get FREE OpenOffice. This free office suite
    > can open and edit rich text, spreadsheet, and presentation files. I do not
    > use it, but have installed it for my neice, so I can't say that it will open
    > database files or not. Since database files can be made with the MSoft
    > Office Suite, and OpenOffice is a free product targetted to pull people away
    > from MSoft, then it stands to reason that there is a database application.
    >
    > I can't imagine that a current version of WordPad will not open an RTF file
    > created with an earlier version of WordPad. Something does not add up here.
    > But whatever... You can get OpenOffice for free, and open& create new RTF
    > files.
    >

    I think OpenOffice or LibreOffice are way too heavy for the users needs.
    Abiword is much lighter and very nice to use. I prefer it for my general
    work. As an aside, all the programs/suites above are available as
    portable apps under the LiberKey menuing system and will run from an
    external drive / thumbdrive with no problems and do not need to be
    installed into the Windows system registry. Definitely a plus.

    You could also go to this site; http://portableapps.com/apps
    It too has portable applications either separately or as a suite. I
    initially used this site but found the menuing system of LiberKey way
    superior and much easier to use than this one. Updating is a breeze now
    on the LiberKey site as well, enhancing the ease of use.

    I am sure that the OP will find something light, easy and, most
    importantly, portable that will fit his needs.

    Krypsis
    Krypsis, Jun 9, 2011
    #9
  10. Paul

    Krypsis Guest

    On 9/06/2011 10:16 PM, Jon Danniken wrote:
    > t@t@. wrote:
    >> I'm trying to find WordPad for Windows 98. Is it version 3.0? I tried
    >> at the Microsoft site and couldn't find anything, and haven't been
    >> able to find it anywhere else either. Can anyone suggest someplace?

    >
    > You might try Cetus WordPad; it's pretty much the same thing, with the
    > addition of a spellchecker.
    >
    > http://www.cetussoft.com/cwordpad.htm
    >
    > Jon
    >
    >

    This isquite a neat little program. I installed it but will it run as a
    portable app from a thumbdrive? Also, will it open the olw wordpad
    format .wri files? I think these are the files he needs to open rather
    than .rtf format files.

    Krypsis
    Krypsis, Jun 9, 2011
    #10
  11. Paul

    t@t@. Guest

    On Wed, 8 Jun 2011 17:05:32 -0700, "Jeff Strickland" <>
    wrote:

    >
    ><t@t@.> wrote in message news:...
    >> I'm trying to find WordPad for Windows 98. Is it version 3.0? I tried at
    >> the
    >> Microsoft site and couldn't find anything, and haven't been able to find
    >> it
    >> anywhere else either. Can anyone suggest someplace?

    >
    >It comes with Win98. You have to re-install.
    >
    >Why would anybody want Win98? I get that you like the graphic interface, but
    >you can install XP and retain the interface. Of course, XP is gonna go out
    >and look for Updates that will utterly kill your perephials -- printer,
    >scanner, and so on. But, Win98! Seriously. You need to get with the '90s.


    Years ago I decided to make documents using Notepad and WordPad since they're on
    every PC, so I could open them on any PC without any problem. Microsoft was on
    to that idea apparently, so they changed WordPad so it would NOT open WordPad
    documents any more. Why was that clever of them? Just because it screwed
    everyone who had put trust in them? Or was it clever for some other reason(s)
    too, like it would screw people into paying more money for something like Office
    that they didn't want to buy except for the fact that they're screwed out of
    being able to open their older documents because Microsoft deliberately screwed
    them so they would have to buy Office.... So I hoped I could get an old version
    of WordPad to open my old documents with. Now I'm finding we're screwed there
    too, and that would explain why you can't just go to Microsoft and download a
    program to get off their cock with...still screwed... There has to be a
    solution, but I'm really getting tired of spending hours of my online time just
    trying to get back to be able to open docs I had no problem opening before
    Microsoft screwed us. It's pretty much the same as it would be if they screwed
    us with a virus, and I really do NOT want to pay them extra for doing it.

    Is there something free that would open them, and make new documents as easily
    as WordPad did/does where you can just paste in .jpgs and enter text, and can
    carry around on a thumbdrive so when you get on a computer that doesn't have
    that program you'll have it right there?
    t@t@., Jun 9, 2011
    #11
  12. Paul

    Mike Easter Guest

    t@t@. wrote:

    > Is there something free that would open them, and make new documents
    > as easily as WordPad did/does where you can just paste in .jpgs and
    > enter text, and can carry around on a thumbdrive so when you get on a
    > computer that doesn't have that program you'll have it right there?


    AbiWord will open them and is free and portable.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Jun 11, 2011
    #12
  13. Paul

    Mac Cool Guest

    :

    > Is there something free that would open them, and make new documents
    > as easily as WordPad did/does where you can just paste in .jpgs and
    > enter text, and can carry around on a thumbdrive so when you get on a
    > computer that doesn't have that program you'll have it right there?


    Have you tried Google Docs? Not sure if it will open the old Wordpad files
    but it stores your documents online and you can access or edit them from
    any computer.
    Mac Cool, Jun 17, 2011
    #13
  14. Paul

    Shaun Guest

    "Mike Easter" wrote in message news:...

    Shaun wrote:

    > Paul
    >
    > You could check electronic recycling depots, that is where your OLD
    > computer belongs.
    >
    > Shaun


    Shaun, notice that your email application which you are using to post to
    a usenet group does not work properly here.

    WLM Windows Live Mail is completely unsatisfactory for conversing on
    usenet because it has lost the ability to quote the previous material
    which ability was present in OE Outlook Express and its successor WM
    Windows Mail, which could be used satisfactorily for such purposes.

    If you want to use a MS proprietary app to read and post to usenet, you
    should use Wimdows Mail, not WLM.

    If your OS is Win7, WM did not come installed by default as it did in
    Vista, but it can be reinstated, it is just a certain amount of trouble.

    Personally I would use something else; but in either case, it should be
    WM or something else. WLM is not an option.

    --
    Mike Easter


    Bitch Bitch Bitch over little details that don't really matter to those
    except the very anal types.

    I did try to get WM, it would not work on Windows 7 from what I've read.
    Thanks for trying.

    later,

    Shaun


    To the OP - Buy a new fucking computer with an antivirus program and get
    with the times. Don't waste out time with Windows 98!
    Shaun, Sep 12, 2011
    #14
  15. Paul

    Patrick Guest

    Shaun wrote:
    > "Mike Easter" wrote in message
    > news:...
    > Shaun wrote:
    >
    >> Paul
    >>
    >> You could check electronic recycling depots, that is where your OLD
    >> computer belongs.
    >>
    >> Shaun

    >
    > Shaun, notice that your email application which you are using to post
    > to a usenet group does not work properly here.
    >
    > WLM Windows Live Mail is completely unsatisfactory for conversing on
    > usenet because it has lost the ability to quote the previous material
    > which ability was present in OE Outlook Express and its successor WM
    > Windows Mail, which could be used satisfactorily for such purposes.
    >
    > If you want to use a MS proprietary app to read and post to usenet,
    > you should use Wimdows Mail, not WLM.
    >
    > If your OS is Win7, WM did not come installed by default as it did in
    > Vista, but it can be reinstated, it is just a certain amount of
    > trouble.
    > Personally I would use something else; but in either case, it should
    > be WM or something else. WLM is not an option.


    Pardon, did you say something !

    :)
    Patrick, Sep 12, 2011
    #15
  16. Paul

    Paul Guest

    Shaun wrote:
    > >
    > >
    > > "Mike Easter" wrote in message news:...


    > > Shaun, notice that your email application which you are using to post to
    > > a usenet group does not work properly here.
    > >
    > > WLM Windows Live Mail is completely unsatisfactory for conversing on
    > > usenet because it has lost the ability to quote the previous material
    > > which ability was present in OE Outlook Express and its successor WM
    > > Windows Mail, which could be used satisfactorily for such purposes.
    > >
    > > If you want to use a MS proprietary app to read and post to usenet, you
    > > should use Wimdows Mail, not WLM.
    > >
    > > If your OS is Win7, WM did not come installed by default as it did in
    > > Vista, but it can be reinstated, it is just a certain amount of trouble.
    > >
    > > Personally I would use something else; but in either case, it should be
    > > WM or something else. WLM is not an option.
    > >


    > Bitch Bitch Bitch over little details that don't really matter to those
    > except the very anal types.
    >
    > I did try to get WM, it would not work on Windows 7 from what I've read.
    > Thanks for trying.
    >
    > later,
    >
    > Shaun


    The details do matter. Why ? By posting your reply before a
    ..sig mark, your reply cannot be replied to. It doesn't get quoted
    properly. To make this message, I had to:

    1) Copy and Paste Shaun's reply from below the .sig from the original post.
    2) Move all the quote marks over one, manually, with the editor.
    3) Hope that I didn't mess up quoting by doing this.

    I recommend Thunderbird as a newsreader client, which has proper quoting.
    It's a good, basic newsreader. The only real trick with Thunderbird, is
    ticking the "always request authentication" box, for usage with news servers
    that have a username and password, as then, Thunderbird will prompt you
    the first time for the username and password. Via caching, it won't pester
    you every time after that.

    http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/

    You can also set the "port number", according to whether you want the
    stream to be encrypted to the server or not.

    If you need further help, a search of the web will have an illustrated
    guide for setup. I've found such guides, for setting up Thunderbird,
    on some university IT sites for example. Even the news server main web
    site, sometimes has primers on it, to help clients set up their
    favorite reader program. The first time you use Thunderbird, it may be
    a bit daunting, I don't deny that.

    I like using separate tools for separate functions. One tool for mail.
    Another tool for USENET. By doing so, there is never a danger I'll
    forward a "letter from mom" to alt.flame :) This kind of thing does
    happen occasionally, when people do both USENET and mail, within the
    same tool.

    Good luck,
    Paul
    Paul, Sep 12, 2011
    #16
  17. Paul

    VanguardLH Guest

    Patrick wrote:

    > Pardon, did you say something !
    >
    > :)


    Yeah, the noob thinks anything of his post placed AFTER the signature
    delimiter line was seen by others (who typically configure their
    newsreaders to strip out the fluff, like signatures).
    VanguardLH, Sep 13, 2011
    #17
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Merlin

    Re: Wordpad

    Merlin, Jul 10, 2003, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    1,831
    Merlin
    Jul 11, 2003
  2. Shel-hed

    Re: Wordpad

    Shel-hed, Jul 10, 2003, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    615
    jda^fx
    Jul 11, 2003
  3. Baron Reeve

    Re: Wordpad

    Baron Reeve, Jul 11, 2003, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    612
    Baron Reeve
    Jul 11, 2003
  4. striker

    wordpad in Windows ME

    striker, Feb 26, 2004, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    1,162
    striker
    Feb 27, 2004
  5. Giuen
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    668
    Giuen
    Sep 12, 2008
Loading...

Share This Page