    In addition, after dropping the camera, I realized I need a lens
    protector (glass filter?) for the outside of the lens. Where best can I
    get one cheap mailorder?
    Arklin K., Jul 6, 2012

  2. Arklin K.

    nospam Guest

    Re: Where to get parts for a Nikon D5000 SLR, with DX VR: AF-S Nikkor 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6G lens?

    In article <jt56eg$45l$>, Arklin K.
    <> wrote:

    > Is it possible to replace just this tiny ring in the Nikon lens?
    > http://www2.picturepush.com/photo/a/8658510/640/8658510.jpg

    call a camera repair shop and see if they'll sell you the parts. it's
    probably better to have them fix it though.

    > I'm not a camera expert but if I could buy the part, I could figure out
    > maybe how to install it on the lens.

    and you might make it worse.

    > In addition, after dropping the camera, I realized I need a lens
    > protector (glass filter?) for the outside of the lens. Where best can I
    > get one cheap mailorder?

    don't get cheap filters. get a multi-coated one, at a minimum.
    nospam, Jul 6, 2012

  3. Arklin K.

    tony cooper Guest

    Re: Where to get parts for a Nikon D5000 SLR, with DX VR: AF-S Nikkor 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6G lens?

    On Thu, 5 Jul 2012 23:02:40 +0000 (UTC), "Arklin K."
    <> wrote:

    >Is it possible to replace just this tiny ring in the Nikon lens?
    > http://www2.picturepush.com/photo/a/8658510/640/8658510.jpg
    >
    >It's a Nikon DX VR: AF-S Nikkor 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6G lens on a Nikon D5000.
    >
    >I dropped the camera and the only thing that broke was this tiny piece of
    >plastic around the lens (which, unfortunately, holds the lens on the
    >camera):
    > http://www3.picturepush.com/photo/a/8658511/640/8658511.jpg
    >
    >I'm not a camera expert but if I could buy the part, I could figure out
    >maybe how to install it on the lens.
    >
    >In addition, after dropping the camera, I realized I need a lens
    >protector (glass filter?) for the outside of the lens. Where best can I
    >get one cheap mailorder?

    Funny you should mention that. I did exactly the same thing with the
    same lens. That broken flange stops the lens from locking on to the
    camera body. It's a very common problem when the camera is dropped.

    I took it to my local camera repair shop and was told that the part
    needed would cost him $70 and he'd add labor to that. He said that
    Nikon charges $110.00 for the repair.

    And, he told me in no uncertain terms that repairing the lens would be
    a waste of money. A replacement lens can be obtained on eBay for
    about $100, and that's a faster and probably cheaper way to go if you
    really want to continue to use the lens.

    I use either my Nikon 35mm prime lens or my 18/200 Tamron lens
    instead.

    As far as you buying the part, I tried to take my lens apart to see if
    I could do that, but I can't figure out how to do it. It unscrews,
    but there's a doohickey attached that I can't figure out.

    As far as a filter, a lens hood is more protection, but you could buy
    http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-52mm-Screw-on-NC-Filter/dp/B00009R96C

    This is a better protective device:
    http://www.amazon.com/AGFA-52mm-Hea...1537834&sr=8-2&keywords=52mm rubber lens hood

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    tony cooper, Jul 6, 2012
  4. Arklin K.

    Arklin K. Guest

    On Thu, 05 Jul 2012 16:29:26 -0700, nospam wrote:

    > don't get cheap filters. get a multi-coated one, at a minimum.

    Where would you get a multi-coated filter and ... what would it do for me
    when all I want to do is protect the lens?
    Arklin K., Jul 6, 2012
  5. Arklin K.

    Arklin K. Guest

    On Thu, 05 Jul 2012 21:25:15 -0400, tony cooper wrote:

    > I did exactly the same thing with the same lens.
    > That broken flange stops the lens from locking on to the
    > camera body. It's a very common problem when the camera is dropped.

    Exactly! The lens won't stay tight on the camera without that little tiny
    lip of flimsy plastic.

    Truth be told, this is my third lens in that picture (I have two that are
    broken the same way).

    So I do believe you it's a common problem. That's why there must be a
    common answer.

    Where can we get the part?

    Can we buy the part from Nikon and replace it ourselves?
    Arklin K., Jul 6, 2012
  6. Arklin K.

    Arklin K. Guest

    Re: Where to get parts for a Nikon D5000 SLR, with DX VR: AF-S

    On Thu, 05 Jul 2012 21:25:15 -0400, tony cooper wrote:

    > As far as you buying the part, I tried to take my lens apart to see if I
    > could do that, but I can't figure out how to do it. It unscrews, but
    > there's a doohickey attached that I can't figure out.

    I'll first try to find an exploded diagram of the lens.

    Maybe I'll call Nikon. We can't be the only ones with this problem
    because it appears to be a common problem based on our anecdotal evidence
    and just looking at how and where it broke.

    Must be a zillion lenses out there with the same problem When I work on
    my car, that means there is a good solution ... if we only knew whom to
    ask.

    Is there a good Nikon camera forum we can ask?
    Arklin K., Jul 6, 2012
  7. Arklin K.

    Arklin K. Guest

    Re: Where to get parts for a Nikon D5000 SLR, with DX VR: AF-S

    On Thu, 05 Jul 2012 21:25:15 -0400, tony cooper wrote:

    > As far as a filter ... you could buy
    > http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-52mm-Screw-on-NC-Filter/dp/B00009R96C

    Wow. $30 is 20% of the cost of a new lens (at $150 for the lens on
    Amazon).

    Something seems wrong.

    How could a simple non-moving low-tech screw on filter be that expensive
    relative to an entire zoom lens?

    From an engineering standpoint, I must be missing something fundamental.
    Can someone clue me in to what is the reason for the huge expense of such
    a simple part?

    > This is a better protective device:
    > http://www.amazon.com/AGFA-52mm-Heavy-Rubber-APSLH52/dp/B00603RS9W/

    ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1341537834&sr=8-2&keywords=52mm+rubber+lens+hood

    Now we're talking bang for the buck!
    - Screw on AGFA 52mm Heavy Duty Rubber Lens Hood APSLH52 $4.50

    It seems this hood will screw onto the lens and that the filter can screw
    onto this hood, right?

    BTW, how did you know that the "DX VR: AF-S Nikkor 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6G
    lens" was 52mm?
    Arklin K., Jul 6, 2012
  8. Arklin K.

    Arklin K. Guest

    Re: Where to get parts for a Nikon D5000 SLR, with DX VR: AF-S

    On Thu, 05 Jul 2012 16:29:26 -0700, nospam wrote:

    > call a camera repair shop and see if they'll sell you the parts. it's
    > probably better to have them fix it though.

    I forgot to mention I prefer, if I can, to buy the part and fix it myself.

    I have two of these broken lenses and would learn on the old one to do
    better on the new one.

    I think I need a good Nikon camera forum. Googling I find these.

    Which would you guys recommend?

    - http://forums.photographyreview.com/nikon-camera-equipment/
    - http://www.ephotozine.com/forums/nikon-cameras-325
    - http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topics&forum=101
    - http://www.dpreview.com/forums/
    - http://forum.digitalcamerareview.com/
    - http://photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/
    - http://forums.photographyreview.com/
    - http://www.cameraforum.com/forum.php?s=971e5e3892d2a50db970d4a25bf281b0

    I'd rather post to the best forum for Nikon lens repairs. Anyone have
    experience with these forums above?
    Arklin K., Jul 6, 2012
  9. Arklin K.

    nospam Guest

    Re: Where to get parts for a Nikon D5000 SLR, with DX VR: AF-S Nikkor 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6G lens?

    In article <jt5t9n$7g7$>, Arklin K.
    <> wrote:

    > > don't get cheap filters. get a multi-coated one, at a minimum.

    > Where would you get a multi-coated filter and ... what would it do for me
    > when all I want to do is protect the lens?

    if you want to protect the lens, get a lens cap.

    if you want a filter on the front all the time, get a good filter
    because a cheap filter will lower the quality of your photos.

    multicoated filters are important because it reduces flare and other
    problems compared to an uncoated filter. that's why your lens has
    multicoating. super-multicoating is even better, but the lens in
    question isn't that great to begin with and not worth spending a lot of
    money on a filter.
    nospam, Jul 6, 2012
  10. Arklin K.

    nospam Guest

    Re: Where to get parts for a Nikon D5000 SLR, with DX VR: AF-S Nikkor 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6G lens?

    In article <jt5u0u$7g7$>, Arklin K.
    <> wrote:

    > > As far as a filter ... you could buy
    > > http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-52mm-Screw-on-NC-Filter/dp/B00009R96C

    > Wow. $30 is 20% of the cost of a new lens (at $150 for the lens on
    > Amazon).
    >
    > Something seems wrong.

    what's wrong is that is a very poor choice. nikon filters tend to be
    overpriced.

    a much better choice is this, which was shown on the above link:
    <http://www.amazon.com/Hoya-Digital-Multi-Coated-Frame-Filter/dp/B00009R
    98A/>

    get a used filter if price is an issue. shop around. you may be able to
    get one for less. try ebay.

    for hoya, be sure it's hmc or preferably, shmc. other makers have
    different letter combinations for multicoated. try to stay away from
    no-name brands.

    > How could a simple non-moving low-tech screw on filter be that expensive
    > relative to an entire zoom lens?

    because it needs to be optically flat and also multi-coated to reduce
    flare and other problems. the filter ring needs to have threads that
    won't bind and jam in the lens, and the ring shouldn't bend if you
    twist too hard. that doesn't come cheap. also, people are wiling to pay
    more money than they should for filters so they're priced accordingly.
    nospam, Jul 6, 2012
  11. Arklin K.

    nospam Guest

    Re: Where to get parts for a Nikon D5000 SLR, with DX VR: AF-S Nikkor 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6G lens?

    In article <jt5tel$7g7$>, Arklin K.
    <> wrote:

    > Where can we get the part?

    a camera repair shop will probably sell you the part.

    > Can we buy the part from Nikon and replace it ourselves?

    i doubt nikon will sell parts to end users. you will likely need to
    call a camera store or repair shop.
    nospam, Jul 6, 2012
  12. Arklin K.

    Arklin K. Guest

    On Thu, 05 Jul 2012 23:32:05 -0700, nospam wrote:

    > but the lens in question isn't that great to begin with and not worth
    > spending a lot of money on a filter.

    I agree. If the lens costs $150, it doesn't seem 'right' to spend 20% of
    that on a simple piece of glass to protect it and do nothing else.

    I already have a lens cap - but I want something on all the time.
    Arklin K., Jul 6, 2012
  13. Arklin K.

    Arklin K. Guest

    On Thu, 05 Jul 2012 23:32:10 -0700, nospam wrote:

    > i doubt nikon will sell parts to end users. you will likely need to call
    > a camera store or repair shop.

    I've bought cameras and lenses and a flash unit from the San Jose Camera
    shop on Bascom. After three or four purchases, I realized they're a rip
    off as everything broke within months.

    I don't trust them.

    But if they're the only way ... then they're the only way. But I'll call
    Nikon tomorrow first and report back what they say.
    Arklin K., Jul 6, 2012
  14. Arklin K.

    Arklin K. Guest

    On Thu, 05 Jul 2012 23:32:09 -0700, nospam wrote:

    > people are wiling to pay more money than they should for filters so
    > they're priced accordingly.

    Ah, the laws of supply and demand always hold true!
    Arklin K., Jul 6, 2012
  15. Arklin K.

    nospam Guest

    Re: Where to get parts for a Nikon D5000 SLR, with DX VR: AF-S Nikkor 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6G lens?

    In article <jt624b$p49$>, Arklin K.
    <> wrote:

    > > but the lens in question isn't that great to begin with and not worth
    > > spending a lot of money on a filter.

    > I agree. If the lens costs $150, it doesn't seem 'right' to spend 20% of
    > that on a simple piece of glass to protect it and do nothing else.

    that's why i showed you a $15 filter that's better and you can probably
    find one used for under $10.
    nospam, Jul 6, 2012
  16. Arklin K.

    Bruce Guest

    "Arklin K." <> wrote:

    >On Thu, 05 Jul 2012 16:29:26 -0700, nospam wrote:
    >
    >> don't get cheap filters. get a multi-coated one, at a minimum.

    >Where would you get a multi-coated filter and ... what would it do for me
    >when all I want to do is protect the lens?

    You need a Nikon NC filter. It is colourless, multi-coated and will
    provide the protection you need.
    Bruce, Jul 6, 2012
  17. Arklin K.

    tony cooper Guest

    Re: Where to get parts for a Nikon D5000 SLR, with DX VR: AF-S Nikkor 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6G lens?

    On Fri, 6 Jul 2012 05:35:18 +0000 (UTC), "Arklin K."
    <> wrote:

    >On Thu, 05 Jul 2012 21:25:15 -0400, tony cooper wrote:
    >
    >> I did exactly the same thing with the same lens.
    >> That broken flange stops the lens from locking on to the
    >> camera body. It's a very common problem when the camera is dropped.

    >Exactly! The lens won't stay tight on the camera without that little tiny
    >lip of flimsy plastic.
    >
    >Truth be told, this is my third lens in that picture (I have two that are
    >broken the same way).
    >
    >So I do believe you it's a common problem. That's why there must be a
    >common answer.

    >Where can we get the part?
    >
    >Can we buy the part from Nikon and replace it ourselves?

    Nikon recently stopped selling parts to camera repair shops.
    http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/03/12/Nikon-cuts-out-independent-service-companies
    If they aren't going to sell to a camera repair shop, I doubt if
    they'll sell to you.

    My camera repair shop cannibalizes other bodies and lenses to get
    replacement parts. A lens made useless for one problem might be a
    source for other parts for other lenses.

    Sometimes, cannibalized parts are fine, but not in this case. The
    part that you need will be somewhat worn from use and many not lock
    into the body after a few months.

    These kit lenses have a plastic part that joins the lens and the body.
    Nikon's more expensive lenses have metal part there.

    Before you search for a replacement part or a lens to cannibalize, try
    to remove that part from your present lens. You'll see the problem.
    The screws come out, but there are two other places where the part is
    attached, and I can't see how the lens can be further disassembled.
    My camera repair guy can, but I can't.

    I don't feel the lens is worth fixing. Replacement is the way to go.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    tony cooper, Jul 6, 2012
  18. Arklin K.

    tony cooper Guest

    wrote:

    >In article <jt5tel$7g7$>, Arklin K.
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >> Where can we get the part?

    >a camera repair shop will probably sell you the part.
    >
    >> Can we buy the part from Nikon and replace it ourselves?

    >i doubt nikon will sell parts to end users. you will likely need to
    >call a camera store or repair shop.

    Keep up with things if you want to offer advice on subjects you
    don't know anything about.

    http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/03/12/Nikon-cuts-out-independent-service-companies

    Unless a repair shop has an old new part in stock, they can offer only
    a cannibalized part which, in this case, will have a wear factor. The
    problem is so common with these kit lenses that old new parts are no
    longer available either.

    The lens involved is the same lens used as far back as the D40 and
    D60, so there are a lot of them out there that have been around for
    some time and show signs of wear.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    tony cooper, Jul 6, 2012
  19. Arklin K.

    tony cooper Guest

    Re: Where to get parts for a Nikon D5000 SLR, with DX VR: AF-S Nikkor 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6G lens?

    On Fri, 6 Jul 2012 05:45:02 +0000 (UTC), "Arklin K."
    <> wrote:

    >On Thu, 05 Jul 2012 21:25:15 -0400, tony cooper wrote:
    >
    >> As far as a filter ... you could buy
    >> http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-52mm-Screw-on-NC-Filter/dp/B00009R96C

    >Wow. $30 is 20% of the cost of a new lens (at $150 for the lens on
    >Amazon).
    >
    >Something seems wrong.

    Yeah. Paying $150 when the lens is available new for a third less
    elsewhere.

    >How could a simple non-moving low-tech screw on filter be that expensive
    >relative to an entire zoom lens?
    >
    >From an engineering standpoint, I must be missing something fundamental.
    >Can someone clue me in to what is the reason for the huge expense of such
    >a simple part?

    >> This is a better protective device:
    >> http://www.amazon.com/AGFA-52mm-Heavy-Rubber-APSLH52/dp/B00603RS9W/

    >ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1341537834&sr=8-2&keywords=52mm+rubber+lens+hood
    >
    >Now we're talking bang for the buck!
    >- Screw on AGFA 52mm Heavy Duty Rubber Lens Hood APSLH52 $4.50
    >
    >It seems this hood will screw onto the lens and that the filter can screw
    >onto this hood, right?

    Yes, but why? Read on.

    >BTW, how did you know that the "DX VR: AF-S Nikkor 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6G
    >lens" was 52mm?

    Because I have the same lenses. My first DSLR was a Nikon D40. It's
    basically the same camera as you have, and uses the same lenses.

    The only thing different about my 18-55 is I don't have the VR
    (Vibration Reduction). I don't think that's needed with the 18-55,
    but is with the 55-200.

    Look, on this filter thing, think it out. Use some logic.

    There are three basic causes for lens damage:

    1. Dropping the lens or the whole. A protective filter offers
    absolutely no protection from drops unless the contact point is
    directly to the lens.

    2. Bumping the camera with lens attached. When you have the camera
    strap around your neck, and the camera swings around, it can bump into
    things. Again, unless the contact point is directly to lens, a filter
    does no good at all.

    3. Sand, and other debris, getting on the lens and causing scratches
    if the lens is cleaned improperly. A filter stops this, but the
    filter is damaged if cleaned improperly. Filters aren't free.

    The better solutions are the use of your lens cap when you aren't
    actually shooting and the use of a lens hood at all times.

    The lens hood acts as a bumper, so incidents in #1 and #2 are far less
    likely to result in lens damage when the contact point is the directly
    towards the lens. It doesn't guarantee the lens won't be damaged, but
    it significantly reduces the chances. Significantly.

    I prefer the rubber lens hoods instead of the rigid plastic or metal
    hoods. The rubber lens hoods can be rolled back instead of removed to
    fit the camera in your bag or when the hood creates a shadow when the
    built-in flash is used.

    There's an argument that cheaper filters degrade the image, but I'm
    not going to get into that. It's not a proven thing either way.

    The conclusion I reached is a) always keep the lens cap on when not
    shooting, b) use a rubber hood at all times, and c) don't waste money
    on a filter.

    Make your own decision, though.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    tony cooper, Jul 6, 2012
  20. Arklin K.

    tony cooper Guest

    Re: Where to get parts for a Nikon D5000 SLR, with DX VR: AF-S Nikkor 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6G lens?

    On Fri, 6 Jul 2012 06:56:38 +0000 (UTC), "Arklin K."
    <> wrote:

    >On Thu, 05 Jul 2012 23:32:10 -0700, nospam wrote:
    >
    >> i doubt nikon will sell parts to end users. you will likely need to call
    >> a camera store or repair shop.

    >I've bought cameras and lenses and a flash unit from the San Jose Camera
    >shop on Bascom. After three or four purchases, I realized they're a rip
    >off as everything broke within months.

    Something's wrong with that statement. If you are buying new
    products, the store is not the cause of damage within a few months.
    You are. The store may overcharge, may recommend the wrong products,
    or they may have poor customer service. But, they are in no way
    responsible for a product breaking in use. It wouldn't make any
    difference where you bought the product.

    I think you mentioned that this is your third damaged lens. You can't
    blame that on the store. Especially not the current damage. You
    dropped the camera. You.

    tony cooper, Jul 6, 2012