where to get Microsoft Disk Defragmenter?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by zxcvbob, Oct 1, 2006.

  1. zxcvbob

    zxcvbob Guest

    I just bought a new Lenovo Thinkpad for my wife. Lenovo preinstalled
    all kinds of crap on it, including Symantec antivirus and firewall with
    virus definition files over a year old, and it won't update because the
    license is invalid. But that's not what I want to complain about. (I
    unsintalled the Symantec software and installed Grisoft antivirus)

    They also installed something called "Diskeeper Lite" for defragmenting
    the HDD, which doesn't work. It fails on start-up (not always with the
    same error message, but usually it it unable to connect to the service,
    or unable to launch, or something like that.) I went in the
    windows/system32 folder and looked at the dfrg*.* files, and they are
    all Diskeeper files instead of Microsoft. Diskeeper doesn't provide
    support for their Lite version, and I don't want to upgrade. I don't
    even want their software at all.

    If I uninstall it, will the Microsoft Defragmenter magically appear, or
    am I screwed. After I uninstall, can I copy all the dfrg*.* files from
    another winxp sp2 system? Or is there a way to restore the Microsoft
    defragmenter from the I386 directory?

    Thanks, regards,
    Bob

    zxcvbob, Oct 1, 2006

  2. zxcvbob

    mdp Guest

    zxcvbob wrote:
    > I just bought a new Lenovo Thinkpad for my wife. Lenovo preinstalled
    > all kinds of crap on it, including Symantec antivirus and firewall
    > with virus definition files over a year old, and it won't update
    > because the license is invalid. But that's not what I want to
    > complain about. (I unsintalled the Symantec software and installed
    > Grisoft antivirus)
    > They also installed something called "Diskeeper Lite" for
    > defragmenting the HDD, which doesn't work. It fails on start-up (not
    > always with the same error message, but usually it it unable to
    > connect to the service, or unable to launch, or something like that.)
    > I went in the windows/system32 folder and looked at the dfrg*.*
    > files, and they are all Diskeeper files instead of Microsoft. Diskeeper
    > doesn't provide support for their Lite version, and I don't
    > want to upgrade. I don't even want their software at all.
    >
    > If I uninstall it, will the Microsoft Defragmenter magically appear,
    > or am I screwed. After I uninstall, can I copy all the dfrg*.* files
    > from another winxp sp2 system? Or is there a way to restore the
    > Microsoft defragmenter from the I386 directory?
    >
    > Thanks, regards,
    > Bob

    Uninstall it and MS should reappear. BTW, the makers of Diskeeper Lite,
    Executive Software, wrote the defrag for XP.

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314848

    mdp, Oct 1, 2006

  3. zxcvbob

    zxcvbob Guest

    mdp wrote:
    > zxcvbob wrote:
    >> I just bought a new Lenovo Thinkpad for my wife. Lenovo preinstalled
    >> all kinds of crap on it, including Symantec antivirus and firewall
    >> with virus definition files over a year old, and it won't update
    >> because the license is invalid. But that's not what I want to
    >> complain about. (I unsintalled the Symantec software and installed
    >> Grisoft antivirus)
    >> They also installed something called "Diskeeper Lite" for
    >> defragmenting the HDD, which doesn't work. It fails on start-up (not
    >> always with the same error message, but usually it it unable to
    >> connect to the service, or unable to launch, or something like that.)
    >> I went in the windows/system32 folder and looked at the dfrg*.*
    >> files, and they are all Diskeeper files instead of Microsoft. Diskeeper
    >> doesn't provide support for their Lite version, and I don't
    >> want to upgrade. I don't even want their software at all.
    >>
    >> If I uninstall it, will the Microsoft Defragmenter magically appear,
    >> or am I screwed. After I uninstall, can I copy all the dfrg*.* files
    >> from another winxp sp2 system? Or is there a way to restore the
    >> Microsoft defragmenter from the I386 directory?
    >>
    >> Thanks, regards,
    >> Bob

    > Uninstall it and MS should reappear. BTW, the makers of Diskeeper Lite,
    > Executive Software, wrote the defrag for XP.
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314848

    It worked. Thanks.

    Best regards,
    Bob