    And can I just put my JPEGS on CD ROM and say, "make prints of these," or do
    I need to crop and resize all the images first? Can I get 4x6s printed to
    the edge?

    Clicky, Feb 2, 2004

  2. Clicky

    zbzbzb Guest

    >I'd like to put together an album of my better pictures, but my old HP PSC
    >500 just doesn't do that good a job. Where should I turn to for quality 4x6
    >prints? I've read comments on this newsgroup saying that Wal Mart and
    >others do an okay job, but is it really okay? How about big office supply
    >stores, like Staples or Office Max?
    >
    >And can I just put my JPEGS on CD ROM and say, "make prints of these," or do
    >I need to crop and resize all the images first? Can I get 4x6s printed to
    >the edge?

    The best results I have gotten so far have been at Costco. So long as the file
    is prepared properly your images will be better than any inkjet.

    zbzbzb, Feb 2, 2004

  3. Clicky

    adam drew Guest

    Clicky wrote:

    > I'd like to put together an album of my better pictures, but my old HP PSC
    > 500 just doesn't do that good a job. Where should I turn to for quality 4x6
    > prints? I've read comments on this newsgroup saying that Wal Mart and
    > others do an okay job, but is it really okay? How about big office supply
    > stores, like Staples or Office Max?
    >
    > And can I just put my JPEGS on CD ROM and say, "make prints of these," or do
    > I need to crop and resize all the images first? Can I get 4x6s printed to
    > the edge?

    As others have said, Wal*Mart does a decent job. You can bring in your
    memory card or burn the images to a CD--it doesn't matter.

    They have a little kiosk set up that allows you to pick the images you
    want, number of sets, etc.

    I had 200 prints done in under an hour last month... ;)

    Adam

    adam drew, Feb 2, 2004
  4. Clicky

    NoNameAtAll Guest

    I like Wal-Mart except that I can't get glossy prints there. I have no
    complaints about the quality of the prints though.

    NoNameAtAll, Feb 2, 2004
  5. Clicky

    Jim Townsend Guest

    adam drew wrote:

    > As others have said, Wal*Mart does a decent job. You can bring in your
    > memory card or burn the images to a CD--it doesn't matter.

    I wouldn't be in a rush to recommend Wal-Mart in general.. The stores
    have the same equipment, but how it's used and maintained can be
    a different story.

    There's a local Wal-Mart I will NEVER use to print my images. Both 35mm
    film and digicam prints have turned out awful.. Hairs on the prints,
    blotches and uneven results. They also use cheap paper. It took me
    three jobs before I caught on that this was their standard work.

    I'm not branding Wal-Mart as bad.. (I'm sure there are Wal-Marts that do a
    good job).. I'm just suggesting you try your local store with a couple
    of prints first before handing over a big order.

    Jim Townsend, Feb 2, 2004
  6. Walmart and Costco both do a fine job.

    Enrico Palazo, Feb 2, 2004
  7. Clicky

    Searching_ut Guest

    I get mine done at my local Sams club. They use the Fuji minilabs which do a
    great job for me. Fuji Crystal Archive paper, with 4X6 prints costing a
    whopping 16 cents each. The prints are borderless.

    I recommend editing/cropping them yourself prior to taking them in to be
    printed. www.drycreekphoto.com has some excellent tips for preparing your
    shots.

    One last bit of advice is to check with the techs prior to dumping batches
    of photos over say 150 or so into the kiosk. I dumped a little over 400 in
    during one trip just before Christmas, and the tech seemed a little annoyed
    with me when I came to pick them up. Seems it can cause problems with their
    equipment, or so they said.

    For what it's worth

    Jeff

    Searching_ut, Feb 2, 2004
  8. Clicky

    Jeremy Guest

    "Clicky" <> wrote in message
    > I'd like to put together an album of my better pictures, but my old HP PSC
    > 500 just doesn't do that good a job. Where should I turn to for quality

    4x6
    > prints? I've read comments on this newsgroup saying that Wal Mart and
    > others do an okay job, but is it really okay? How about big office supply
    > stores, like Staples or Office Max?
    >
    > And can I just put my JPEGS on CD ROM and say, "make prints of these," or

    do
    > I need to crop and resize all the images first? Can I get 4x6s printed to
    > the edge?

    Upload them to OFOTO.COM which is a subsidiary of Kodak. $.29 per print,
    and you get real photo prints, on double-weight paper, made with real photo
    dyes--not inkjet prints. None of the problems with inkjet fading,
    either--these are real photographs and they will exhibit the same
    characteristics that you are already familiar with.

    Quality is excellent. No surprises, because it's Kodak.

    I don't even own a color printer--I send all my stuff to OFOTO. And I don't
    have to get in my car and drive to a store, either. Only possible down side
    is that it will take a few days to get your prints back by mail.

    Chances are that no one will know that the prints came from digital files
    unless you tell 'em. And you can get enlargements as big as 20x30. Try
    that with a home printer!

    Jeremy, Feb 3, 2004
  9. Clicky

    Arthur Small Guest

    Get a HiTi dye sub printer. Does fantastic 4x6 at .15 each.

    Arthur Small, Feb 3, 2004
  10. Clicky

    JoeG Guest

    Walmart = 26cents per
    SamsClub = 23cents per

    JoeG, Feb 3, 2004
  11. Clicky

    Patrick L. Guest

    "Clicky" <> wrote in message
    > I'd like to put together an album of my better pictures, but my old HP PSC
    > 500 just doesn't do that good a job. Where should I turn to for quality

    4x6
    > prints? I've read comments on this newsgroup saying that Wal Mart and
    > others do an okay job, but is it really okay? How about big office supply
    > stores, like Staples or Office Max?
    >
    > And can I just put my JPEGS on CD ROM and say, "make prints of these," or

    do
    > I need to crop and resize all the images first? Can I get 4x6s printed to
    > the edge?

    Costco, and they are only 19 cents each.

    Patrick

    Patrick L., Feb 3, 2004
  12. Clicky

    Jeff Shoaf Guest

    "Arthur Small" <> wrote in news:9tCTb.18649$iJ3.5656
    @twister.nyroc.rr.com:

    > Get a HiTi dye sub printer. Does fantastic 4x6 at .15 each.

    Where are you getting Hi-Ti supplies for 0.15 each? Unless there's been a
    tremendous price drop since I ordered my last bach of supplies a couple of
    months ago, the best I've found is around 0.395 per print when buying in
    volume.

    I know I can get 'em printed cheaper elsewhere, but I like the ability to
    print 4X6's that are indistinguishable from chemical prints at home. I'm
    planning on getting their larger printer when it's available (unless it's
    terribly expensive). They've got it on their website now - shown as "coming
    soon." It'll do 4X6, 5X7, and 6X8.

    Jeff Shoaf, Feb 3, 2004
  13. Clicky

    zbzbzb Guest

    >Walmart = 26cents per
    >SamsClub = 23cents per

    Costco= 14 cents per

    zbzbzb, Feb 3, 2004
  14. Clicky

    zbzbzb Guest

    >Costco, and they are only 19 cents each.
    >

    >Patrick

    14 cents here.

    zbzbzb, Feb 3, 2004
  15. Clicky

    Xlat Guest

    Don't got to dotphoto.com. VERY disappointed in their quality and
    service...

    On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 14:49:25 GMT, Jeff Shoaf <>
    wrote:

    >"Arthur Small" <> wrote in news:9tCTb.18649$iJ3.5656
    >@twister.nyroc.rr.com:
    >
    >> Get a HiTi dye sub printer. Does fantastic 4x6 at .15 each.
    >>

    >Where are you getting Hi-Ti supplies for 0.15 each? Unless there's been a
    >tremendous price drop since I ordered my last bach of supplies a couple of
    >months ago, the best I've found is around 0.395 per print when buying in
    >volume.
    >
    >I know I can get 'em printed cheaper elsewhere, but I like the ability to
    >print 4X6's that are indistinguishable from chemical prints at home. I'm
    >planning on getting their larger printer when it's available (unless it's
    >terribly expensive). They've got it on their website now - shown as "coming
    >soon." It'll do 4X6, 5X7, and 6X8.

    Remove the nospam from my address to email me!!

    Xlat, Feb 4, 2004
  16. Clicky

    Brad Guest

    In article <>, Xlat_
    said...

    > On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 14:49:25 GMT, Jeff Shoaf <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >"Arthur Small" <> wrote in news:9tCTb.18649$iJ3.5656
    > >@twister.nyroc.rr.com:
    > >
    > >> Get a HiTi dye sub printer. Does fantastic 4x6 at .15 each.

    > >Where are you getting Hi-Ti supplies for 0.15 each? Unless there's been a
    > >tremendous price drop since I ordered my last bach of supplies a couple of
    > >months ago, the best I've found is around 0.395 per print when buying in
    > >volume.
    > >
    > >I know I can get 'em printed cheaper elsewhere, but I like the ability to
    > >print 4X6's that are indistinguishable from chemical prints at home. I'm
    > >planning on getting their larger printer when it's available (unless it's
    > >terribly expensive). They've got it on their website now - shown as "coming
    > >soon." It'll do 4X6, 5X7, and 6X8.

    > Don't got to dotphoto.com. VERY disappointed in their quality and
    > service...

    I've compared Dotphoto prints to Ofoto, Shutterfly and Snapfish and found
    them to be equal in quality to all of them.

    Brad, Feb 4, 2004
  17. Clicky

    Daniel Tso Guest

    In article <>, "Clicky" <> wrote:

    >And can I just put my JPEGS on CD ROM and say, "make prints of these," or do
    >I need to crop and resize all the images first? Can I get 4x6s printed to
    >the edge?

    I've used our local supermarket (Wegman's) and the quality is not bad.
    Probably the same as Walmarts, Costco, etc. $0.29 each.

    However the most annoying aspect is that I cropped the images the way I wanted
    them prior to sending them in for printing and when I got them back, they had
    printed the images in a way that was "borderless", which means that they had
    expanded the image out to the edges of the print even though the new aspect
    ratio was no longer appropriate for a borderless 4x6 print, i.e. portions of
    the images got chopped off. So be careful about the method they use to decide
    the issues of "borderless" and differing aspect ratios.

    Daniel Tso, Feb 7, 2004
  18. Clicky

    KBob Guest

    On Sat, 07 Feb 2004 01:36:34 GMT, (Daniel Tso)
    wrote:

    >In article <>, "Clicky" <> wrote:
    >
    >>And can I just put my JPEGS on CD ROM and say, "make prints of these," or do
    >>I need to crop and resize all the images first? Can I get 4x6s printed to
    >>the edge?
    >>

    >I've used our local supermarket (Wegman's) and the quality is not bad.
    >Probably the same as Walmarts, Costco, etc. $0.29 each.
    >
    >However the most annoying aspect is that I cropped the images the way I wanted
    >them prior to sending them in for printing and when I got them back, they had
    >printed the images in a way that was "borderless", which means that they had
    >expanded the image out to the edges of the print even though the new aspect
    >ratio was no longer appropriate for a borderless 4x6 print, i.e. portions of
    >the images got chopped off. So be careful about the method they use to decide
    >the issues of "borderless" and differing aspect ratios.

    I made a 5X5 test print and placed it in the middle of an 8X10 white
    background, all at 300 DPI. Instead of getting what I expected, it (a
    Frontier 370) blew up my 5X5 to an 8X8 image in the middle of an 8X10
    sheet. I was told that the machine did this automatically, and that
    they didn't make any adjustments. It sounds as if the solution is to
    either make the background a very light grey, or place small markers
    at the extremes so that the oh-so-smart machine will know that it's
    all part of the image you wish to print. I don't understand why these
    @#$%& machines can't just live a person's image alone and do what's
    expected. Does anyone have a better solution??

    KBob, Feb 7, 2004
  19. Clicky

    Brad Guest

    In article <>,
    said...
    > On Sat, 07 Feb 2004 01:36:34 GMT, (Daniel Tso)
    > wrote:
    >
    > >In article <>, "Clicky" <> wrote:
    > >
    > >>And can I just put my JPEGS on CD ROM and say, "make prints of these," or do
    > >>I need to crop and resize all the images first? Can I get 4x6s printed to
    > >>the edge?
    > >>

    > >I've used our local supermarket (Wegman's) and the quality is not bad.
    > >Probably the same as Walmarts, Costco, etc. $0.29 each.
    > >
    > >However the most annoying aspect is that I cropped the images the way I wanted
    > >them prior to sending them in for printing and when I got them back, they had
    > >printed the images in a way that was "borderless", which means that they had
    > >expanded the image out to the edges of the print even though the new aspect
    > >ratio was no longer appropriate for a borderless 4x6 print, i.e. portions of
    > >the images got chopped off. So be careful about the method they use to decide
    > >the issues of "borderless" and differing aspect ratios.

    > I made a 5X5 test print and placed it in the middle of an 8X10 white
    > background, all at 300 DPI. Instead of getting what I expected, it (a
    > Frontier 370) blew up my 5X5 to an 8X8 image in the middle of an 8X10
    > sheet. I was told that the machine did this automatically, and that
    > they didn't make any adjustments. It sounds as if the solution is to
    > either make the background a very light grey, or place small markers
    > at the extremes so that the oh-so-smart machine will know that it's
    > all part of the image you wish to print. I don't understand why these
    > @#$%& machines can't just live a person's image alone and do what's
    > expected. Does anyone have a better solution??

    I doubt the machine did that automatically. It was probably somebody else
    operating the machine and assuming what you wanted incorrectly.

    Brad, Feb 7, 2004