    --
    To reply, take NOSPAM out of my email address.
    , Sep 18, 2005

  2. Imhotep Guest

    wrote:

    > Hi all
    >
    > Does anyone know where I can get a free digital certificate?
    >
    > It needs to be associated with a Certification Authority which is
    > recognised by Microsoft Internet Explorer. There are a few 'free' ones
    > out there but they are only on a 30day trial. I need one that is
    > really free.
    >
    > I want to use it so that I can digitally sign my emails to friends and
    > colleagues.
    >
    > Many thanks

    You can make you own (won't be registered) but, if you want a cert that is
    you are going to pay for it! Sorry.

    To make your own look at openssl...

    Imhotep
    Imhotep, Sep 18, 2005

  3. Imhotep Guest

    Imhotep wrote:

    > wrote:
    >
    >> Hi all
    >>
    >> Does anyone know where I can get a free digital certificate?
    >>
    >> It needs to be associated with a Certification Authority which is
    >> recognised by Microsoft Internet Explorer. There are a few 'free' ones
    >> out there but they are only on a 30day trial. I need one that is
    >> really free.
    >>
    >> I want to use it so that I can digitally sign my emails to friends and
    >> colleagues.
    >>
    >> Many thanks

    > You can make you own (won't be registered) but, if you want a cert that is
    > you are going to pay for it! Sorry.
    >
    > To make your own look at openssl...
    >
    > Imhotep

    Ah...I almost forgot. If you go with your own (ie non registered by a known
    CA) you can have users add your certificate to their configuration pretty
    easy both is Windows and UNIX (Linux/BSD/Etc).

    Anyway, I hope that helps,
    Imhotep
    Imhotep, Sep 18, 2005
  4. Steve Welsh Guest

    You might want to take a look at
    http://www.thawte.com/secure-email/web-of-trust-wot

    This _may_ fill the bill for you.

    Regards,
    Steve

    Steve Welsh, Sep 18, 2005
  5. wrote:

    > It needs to be associated with a Certification Authority which is
    > recognised by Microsoft Internet Explorer. There are a few 'free' ones
    > out there but they are only on a 30day trial. I need one that is
    > really free.

    CACert is free - they're working on getting their root certificate
    integrated into major browsers/mail-clients/OSs by default right now,
    but getting the root certificate installed yourself isn't difficult
    either.

    More info: http://www.cacert.org

    Juergen Nieveler
    --
    Open Windows and let the bugs in.
    Juergen Nieveler, Sep 18, 2005
  6. PeterPan Guest

    wrote:

    > Hi all
    >
    > Does anyone know where I can get a free digital certificate?
    >
    > It needs to be associated with a Certification Authority which is
    > recognised by Microsoft Internet Explorer. There are a few 'free' ones
    > out there but they are only on a 30day trial. I need one that is
    > really free.

    Try http://www.trustcenter.de/products/express/en/
    One year for free.
    Probably you have to import the root certs into the browser.

    Peter

    PeterPan, Sep 20, 2005
  7. Guest

    Thanks guys for the replies.

    One question. If I was to create my own certificate, and obviously the
    recipient will have to install it onto their system and it won't be
    registered with a CA, how would I go about revoking it if I needed to
    in the future?

    Thanks again

    --
    To reply, take NOSPAM out of my email address.
    , Sep 21, 2005