    bought the motherboard from cannot supply this, so are there any third party
    adaptors of this type in New Zealand, my search has so far turned up nothing
    which is very frustrating.?
    risc, Feb 26, 2007

  2. risc

    Allistar Guest

    risc wrote:

    > Anybody know of where I can buy a firewire port that can attach to the
    > header pins on my motherboard, the motherboard has firewire controller but
    > you need to use an optional adaptor to use it and unfortunately the place
    > I bought the motherboard from cannot supply this, so are there any third
    > party adaptors of this type in New Zealand, my search has so far turned up
    > nothing which is very frustrating.?

    How about a PCI card? I know it won't use your on board controller, but they
    are cheap:

    http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=337665

    Allistar.
    Allistar, Feb 26, 2007

  3. risc

    risc Guest

    "Allistar" <> wrote in message
    > risc wrote:
    >
    >> Anybody know of where I can buy a firewire port that can attach to the
    >> header pins on my motherboard, the motherboard has firewire controller
    >> but
    >> you need to use an optional adaptor to use it and unfortunately the place
    >> I bought the motherboard from cannot supply this, so are there any third
    >> party adaptors of this type in New Zealand, my search has so far turned
    >> up
    >> nothing which is very frustrating.?

    > How about a PCI card? I know it won't use your on board controller, but
    > they
    > are cheap:
    >
    > http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=337665
    >
    > Allistar.

    No spare pci slots. It seems crazy that my motherboard has firewire
    controller but the port is optional when this extra component would be very
    cheap to include, makes no sense to me. If worse comes to worst then I
    suppose i might be able to jerry rig something with firewire pcb socket from
    dick smiths but that would be a hassle and could be messy.
    risc, Feb 26, 2007
  4. risc

    Allistar Guest

    risc wrote:

    > "Allistar" <> wrote in message
    >> risc wrote:
    >>
    >>> Anybody know of where I can buy a firewire port that can attach to the
    >>> header pins on my motherboard, the motherboard has firewire controller
    >>> but
    >>> you need to use an optional adaptor to use it and unfortunately the
    >>> place I bought the motherboard from cannot supply this, so are there any
    >>> third party adaptors of this type in New Zealand, my search has so far
    >>> turned up
    >>> nothing which is very frustrating.?

    >> How about a PCI card? I know it won't use your on board controller, but
    >> they
    >> are cheap:
    >>
    >> http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=337665
    >>
    >> Allistar.

    > No spare pci slots. It seems crazy that my motherboard has firewire
    > controller but the port is optional when this extra component would be
    > very cheap to include, makes no sense to me. If worse comes to worst then
    > I suppose i might be able to jerry rig something with firewire pcb socket
    > from dick smiths but that would be a hassle and could be messy.

    What sort of motherboard is it?

    Allistar.
    Allistar, Feb 26, 2007
  5. risc

    risc Guest

    "Allistar" <> wrote in message
    > risc wrote:
    >

    >> "Allistar" <> wrote in message

    >>> How about a PCI card? I know it won't use your on board controller, but
    >>> they
    >>> are cheap:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=337665
    >>>
    >>> Allistar.

    >> No spare pci slots. It seems crazy that my motherboard has firewire
    >> controller but the port is optional when this extra component would be
    >> very cheap to include, makes no sense to me. If worse comes to worst then
    >> I suppose i might be able to jerry rig something with firewire pcb socket
    >> from dick smiths but that would be a hassle and could be messy.

    > What sort of motherboard is it?
    >
    > Allistar.

    a budget foxconn
    risc, Feb 26, 2007
  6. risc

    Mathew Good Guest

    On Mon, 26 Feb 2007 15:24:22 +1300, "risc" <risc@cisc> wrote:

    >Anybody know of where I can buy a firewire port that can attach to the
    >header pins on my motherboard, the motherboard has firewire controller but
    >you need to use an optional adaptor to use it and unfortunately the place I
    >bought the motherboard from cannot supply this, so are there any third party
    >adaptors of this type in New Zealand, my search has so far turned up nothing
    >which is very frustrating.?

    E-mail the Board agents or manufactures..

    Seems all you need is the Adapter cable..

    In some cases it could have been left out of the Box, see what should be included in the Manual..
    Mathew Good, Feb 26, 2007
  7. risc

    risc Guest

    "Mathew Good" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 26 Feb 2007 15:24:22 +1300, "risc" <risc@cisc> wrote:
    >
    > >Anybody know of where I can buy a firewire port that can attach to the
    > >header pins on my motherboard, the motherboard has firewire controller

    but
    > >you need to use an optional adaptor to use it and unfortunately the place

    > >bought the motherboard from cannot supply this, so are there any third

    party
    > >adaptors of this type in New Zealand, my search has so far turned up

    nothing
    > >which is very frustrating.?
    > >

    > E-mail the Board agents or manufactures..
    >
    > Seems all you need is the Adapter cable..
    >
    > In some cases it could have been left out of the Box, see what should be

    included in the Manual..

    Thanks but it seems i have misunderstood things and this motherboard does
    not have a firewire capability at all, only an empty slot for a firewire
    expansion card, the manual was very ambiguous about this with it's
    inconsistent terminology etc... but I should have realised that my original
    understanding could not possibly have been right, a firewire controller with
    optional cable, doh!
    risc, Feb 26, 2007
  8. risc

    jasen Guest

    On 2007-02-26, risc <risc@cisc> wrote:
    > Anybody know of where I can buy a firewire port that can attach to the
    > header pins on my motherboard, the motherboard has firewire controller but
    > you need to use an optional adaptor to use it and unfortunately the place I
    > bought the motherboard from cannot supply this, so are there any third party
    > adaptors of this type in New Zealand, my search has so far turned up nothing
    > which is very frustrating.?

    Odd, most motherboards I've seen come with a firewire socket if they have the
    capability, I can get my hands on some spares, where are you at?

    Bye.
    Jasen
    jasen, Feb 26, 2007
  9. risc

    risc Guest

    "jasen" <> wrote in message
    > On 2007-02-26, risc <risc@cisc> wrote:
    >> Anybody know of where I can buy a firewire port that can attach to the
    >> header pins on my motherboard, the motherboard has firewire controller
    >> but
    >> you need to use an optional adaptor to use it and unfortunately the place
    >> bought the motherboard from cannot supply this, so are there any third
    >> party
    >> adaptors of this type in New Zealand, my search has so far turned up
    >> nothing
    >> which is very frustrating.?

    > Odd, most motherboards I've seen come with a firewire socket if they have
    > the
    > capability, I can get my hands on some spares, where are you at?
    >
    > Bye.
    > Jasen

    Thanks very much for the kind offer but it seemed strange for a reason,
    because I stuffed up and misunderstood the manual, there is no firewire
    capability on this motherboard, only a socket for adding firewire
    controller, it's not a aftermarket option.
    risc, Feb 26, 2007
  10. risc

    Mathew Good Guest

    On Tue, 27 Feb 2007 10:19:14 +1300, "risc" <risc@cisc> wrote:

    >"jasen" <> wrote in message
    >> On 2007-02-26, risc <risc@cisc> wrote:
    >>> Anybody know of where I can buy a firewire port that can attach to the
    >>> header pins on my motherboard, the motherboard has firewire controller
    >>> but
    >>> you need to use an optional adaptor to use it and unfortunately the place
    >>> bought the motherboard from cannot supply this, so are there any third
    >>> party
    >>> adaptors of this type in New Zealand, my search has so far turned up
    >>> nothing
    >>> which is very frustrating.?

    >> Odd, most motherboards I've seen come with a firewire socket if they have
    >> the
    >> capability, I can get my hands on some spares, where are you at?
    >>
    >> Bye.
    >> Jasen

    >Thanks very much for the kind offer but it seemed strange for a reason,
    >because I stuffed up and misunderstood the manual, there is no firewire
    >capability on this motherboard, only a socket for adding firewire
    >controller, it's not a aftermarket option.

    What brand and Model is this MoBo..
    Mathew Good, Feb 26, 2007
  11. risc

    Tony Guest

    risc wrote:
    > Anybody know of where I can buy a firewire port that can attach to the
    > header pins on my motherboard, the motherboard has firewire controller but
    > you need to use an optional adaptor to use it and unfortunately the place I
    > bought the motherboard from cannot supply this, so are there any third party
    > adaptors of this type in New Zealand, my search has so far turned up nothing
    > which is very frustrating.?

    On this note, does anyone know of a firewire or USB2 card that has
    server 2003 drivers ?
    Tony, Feb 27, 2007
  12. risc

    Richard Guest

    Tony wrote:
    > risc wrote:
    >> Anybody know of where I can buy a firewire port that can attach to the
    >> header pins on my motherboard, the motherboard has firewire controller
    >> but you need to use an optional adaptor to use it and unfortunately
    >> the place I bought the motherboard from cannot supply this, so are
    >> there any third party adaptors of this type in New Zealand, my search
    >> has so far turned up nothing which is very frustrating.?
    >>

    > On this note, does anyone know of a firewire or USB2 card that has
    > server 2003 drivers ?

    Ive just put any old one in and had it work on 2003 server
    Richard, Feb 27, 2007