    later on? Could anyone recommend a site or personal experience?

    TIA.

    H.

    system user, Jan 18, 2004

  2. system user

    PlaneGuy Guest

    Not sure about Nikon and there AF-S, AIS, D, ED etc..., but Canon and the
    300D is easy.

    Any Canon lens that is EF mount will fit, and work fully with the 300D (That
    includes the new EF-S mount as well)
    Third party manufacturers also have a wide range of EF mount lenses.

    PlaneGuy, Jan 18, 2004

  3. system user

    Gavin Cato Guest

    The D100 will work with any Nikon lens (except a rare few from the 70's).

    It will not meter with any ancient manual focus AIS lenses. The D1x will.

    Gavin Cato, Jan 18, 2004
  4. system user

    Jeff Shoaf Guest

    (system user) wrote in

    > Hi All,
    >
    > Thinking of buying a Nikon D100 (or D1X if price is
    > right) or the Canon Digital Rebel - However, I can't seem
    > to find lens compatability lists for either camera anywhere.
    > I want to buy either camera based on which ever gives the
    > widest selection of lenses (new and used).
    > I'm leaning heavily towards the Nikon D100 but not sure if that'll
    > mean that I'll have to pay above 'normal' prices for lenses
    > later on? Could anyone recommend a site or personal experience?
    >
    > TIA.
    >
    > H.

    The dReb can use all existing Canon EF lenses, as well as the one EF-S
    lens. All metering and autofocus function will work. There are some
    autofocus limitations if 2X extenders are used with lenses with maximimum
    apertures of 5.6.

    It may or may not work with 3rd party lenses made for the EOS EF mount.
    I've seen multiple reports of Sigma lenses having to be re-chipped to work
    with the Rebel and 10D.

    Jeff Shoaf, Jan 18, 2004
  5. system user

    Paolo Pizzi Guest

    system user wrote:

    > Thinking of buying a Nikon D100 (or D1X if price is
    > right) or the Canon Digital Rebel - However, I can't seem
    > to find lens compatability lists for either camera anywhere.
    > I want to buy either camera based on which ever gives the
    > widest selection of lenses (new and used).
    > I'm leaning heavily towards the Nikon D100 but not sure if that'll
    > mean that I'll have to pay above 'normal' prices for lenses
    > later on? Could anyone recommend a site or personal experience?

    There about 600 lenses you can choose from for a D100.
    The overall number for a Canon DSLR is roughly equal.
    Every F-type auto-focus lens will work with a D100.

    The used market for Nikon mounts is really great: big enough
    for good competition/low prices but at the same time not
    as big as Canon's, where finding bargains is now next to
    impossible (L glass on EBay often sells higher than retail,
    that's insane...)

    I have D100/F100 and a 30-year experience with Nikon
    glass, if you have a particular question, feel free to email me.

    These are some Nikon-oriented sites you may find of interest:

    http://bythom.com
    http://www.nikonians.org
    http://www.digitaldingus.com/d100lounge.html
    http://kenrockwell.com/nikon/nikortek.htm
    http://www.naturfotograf.com/index2.html

    Paolo Pizzi, Jan 18, 2004
  6. system user

    Tony Spadaro Guest

    THe DRebel can use every EF lens Canon ever produced. The D100 can use most
    of the current Nikon lens production but anything without a CPU chip is not
    going to meter, and some lenses will destroy the camera if you attempt to
    mount them.

    --
    http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
    home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

    Tony Spadaro, Jan 19, 2004
  7. system user

    Paolo Pizzi Guest

    Tony Spadaro wrote:

    > THe DRebel can use every EF lens Canon ever produced. The D100 can
    > use most of the current Nikon lens production but anything without a
    > CPU chip is not going to meter, and some lenses will destroy the
    > camera if you attempt to mount them.

    Spadaro's scare tactics at work...

    Paolo Pizzi, Jan 19, 2004
  8. system user

    KenP Guest

    On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 04:55:44 GMT, "Tony Spadaro"
    <> wrote:

    >THe DRebel can use every EF lens Canon ever produced. The D100 can use most
    >of the current Nikon lens production but anything without a CPU chip is not
    >going to meter, and some lenses will destroy the camera if you attempt to
    >mount them.

    Nah, they feel tight when you mount them, and unless you're a gorilla,
    you'll have enough sense to know when to stop. Such lenses are not
    beyond hope, they just need to have their skirts shaved down a mm or
    so, an inexpensive fix. There are a few incompatiblities, but not
    many. Remember exposure meters? A few years ago before all this felt
    need for automatic everything became so important, we used to do quite
    well...without.

    KenP, Jan 19, 2004
  9. system user

    system user Guest