    Thank you,

    Ed S.
    , Jun 7, 2007

  2. Whiskers Guest

    On 2007-06-07, <> wrote:
    > Trolls have completely taken over rec.music.classical.guitar so I can
    > no longer use the Google interface. I'm configuring Thunderbird so I
    > can use the filters.
    >
    > Where can I find a list of newsgroup servers to have thunderbird
    > connect to?
    >
    > Thank you,
    >
    > Ed S.

    Try a web search for the keyword newsserver or newsgroups. I can recommend
    the one I use, which only carries text groups; they charge 10 Euros per
    year. You can read about it here <http://www.individual.net/>.

    Most good ISPs include a news-server as part of the service, but some of
    the big ISPs are dropping that service, or not maintining their usenet
    servers properly.

    Thunderbird's filters are, I understand, rather limited and basic; you might
    find it worthwhile trying some of the other usenet clients available -
    most are free for personal use. See <http://www.newsreaders.com/>. The
    newsgroup news.software.readers is worth subscribing to.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Jun 7, 2007

  3. why? Guest

    On Thu, 07 Jun 2007 08:54:19 -0700, wrote:

    >Trolls have completely taken over rec.music.classical.guitar so I can

    So says a Google grouper

    >no longer use the Google interface. I'm configuring Thunderbird so I
    >can use the filters.
    >
    >Where can I find a list of newsgroup servers to have thunderbird
    >connect to?

    Your ISP may have 1.
    <---- over there, ^ that away and slightly to the left of ---->

    Other than that search 24hshd,
    paid for subscription and free servers are often mentioned.

    You will find plenty to read, such as -

    19,600 results for free news servers

    Free News Server
    Anyone know any free news servers? http://www ... newsserver index.
    http://groups.google.com/group/alt.free.newsservers/topics?gvc=2&hl=en
    May 16 by Mike Easter - 8 messages - 8 authors

    Free news server
    .... a free news server but they now charge 10 Euros/year. They don't
    have any binary
    groups or at least didn't when they were free. You can also do a Google
    search for
    free and newsserver or NNTP. Some news servers start out free by design
    or ...
    Jul 9 2005 by jan bagge - 15 messages - 7 authors

    Free News Servers
    As my new ISP (TalkTalk) does not appear to have a news server, I'd be
    very grateful
    if anybody could recommend a free news server which will function from
    .... The news server
    provides the on-line access to the news groups enabling the ...
    Oct 20 2006 by Digger - 31 messages - 11 authors

    Recommendations on free news server?
    Go to www.google.com and do a search for free news servers , until
    someone here
    gives any clues as to benefits of any particular server
    http://www.google.com/search?
    q=free+news+servers&btnG=Google+Search Have you posted in the athome ...
    Nov 4 2001 by Robert "No spam® passes my lips" - 3 messages - 3 authors

    >Thank you,
    >
    >Ed S.

    Me
    why?, Jun 7, 2007
  4. Guest

    On Jun 7, 12:19 pm, why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote:
    > On Thu, 07 Jun 2007 08:54:19 -0700, wrote:
    > >Trolls have completely taken over rec.music.classical.guitar so I can

    > So says a Google grouper
    >
    > >no longer use the Google interface. I'm configuring Thunderbird so I
    > >can use the filters.

    > >Where can I find a list of newsgroup servers to have thunderbird
    > >connect to?

    > Your ISP may have 1.
    > <---- over there, ^ that away and slightly to the left of ---->
    >
    > Other than that search 24hshd,http://groups.google.com/group/24hoursupport.helpdesk/topics
    > paid for subscription and free servers are often mentioned.
    >
    > You will find plenty to read, such as -
    >
    > 19,600 results for free news servers
    >
    > Free News Server
    > Anyone know any free news servers?http://www... newsserver index.http://groups.google.com/group/alt.free.newsservers/topics?gvc=2&hl=en
    > May 16 by Mike Easter - 8 messages - 8 authors
    >
    > Free news server
    > ... a free news server but they now charge 10 Euros/year. They don't
    > have any binary
    > groups or at least didn't when they were free. You can also do a Google
    > search for
    > free and newsserver or NNTP. Some news servers start out free by design
    > or ...
    > Jul 9 2005 by jan bagge - 15 messages - 7 authors
    >
    > Free News Servers
    > As my new ISP (TalkTalk) does not appear to have a news server, I'd be
    > very grateful
    > if anybody could recommend a free news server which will function from
    > ... The news server
    > provides the on-line access to the news groups enabling the ...
    > Oct 20 2006 by Digger - 31 messages - 11 authors
    >
    > Recommendations on free news server?
    > Go towww.google.comand do a search for free news servers , until
    > someone here
    > gives any clues as to benefits of any particular serverhttp://www.google.com/search?
    > q=free+news+servers&btnG=Google+Search Have you posted in the athome ....
    > Nov 4 2001 by Robert "No spam® passes my lips" - 3 messages - 3 authors
    >
    > >Thank you,

    > >Ed S.

    > Me

    ..
    > >Trolls have completely taken over rec.music.classical.guitar so I can

    > So says a Google grouper
    >
    > >no longer use the Google interface. I'm configuring Thunderbird so I
    > >can use the filters.

    > >Where can I find a list of newsgroup servers to have thunderbird
    > >connect to?

    > Your ISP may have 1.
    > <---- over there, ^ that away and slightly to the left of ---->

    Trolls everywhere.
    , Jun 7, 2007
  5. Mike Easter Guest

    wrote:
    > Trolls have completely taken over rec.music.classical.guitar so I can
    > no longer use the Google interface.

    Correct; googlegroups lacks any filtering capabilities. It also has
    numerous other interface deficiencies which would be much improved by
    using some real nntp newsagent, perhaps Tbird, perhaps some other.

    > I'm configuring Thunderbird so I
    > can use the filters.
    >
    > Where can I find a list of newsgroup servers to have thunderbird
    > connect to?

    There is a useful website about 'free' newsservers at Sebastien
    Willemijn's^1 and a useful index of free newsservers at sforum.nl.

    You can also buy block of non-expiring gigs which is adequate for a year
    or more of text newsing for about $2.

    ^1 http://www.nntpeng.willemijns.com/ LINKS AND F.A.Q ABOUT OPEN NNTP
    SERVERS

    ^2 http://www.sforum.nl/nntp/show.php?l=en Welcome to our free
    newsserver index.

    If you are going to be accessing a newsserver from behind a corporate
    firewall, some of them block the standard newsserver ports.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Jun 7, 2007
  6. John Holmes Guest

    "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    **** off then, you whining imbecile.

    --
    Your mother was a lackadaisical block of concrete who came to terms with
    her sexuality in a rubber-walled room.
    John Holmes, Jun 7, 2007
  7. Evan Platt Guest

    On Thu, 07 Jun 2007 09:33:40 -0700, ""
    <> wrote:

    >Trolls everywhere.

    But they breed worse than rabbits on Google Groups. And there's
    spammers there too.
    Evan Platt, Jun 7, 2007
  8. [Bottom-posting corrected... ]

    John Holmes hammered this out in stone (or while he was):

    > **** off then, you whining imbecile.

    [Continutity simulated... ]

    > "contributed" in this group:
    >>
    >> Trolls everywhere.

    [Contexualtardation repaired... ]

    LOL! "T-t-t-they-r-r-r-r *EVERY*where..."

    And that from a GoggleGroper ROTF-LMFAO!

    (It's not like the good old days when
    rec.music.classical.guitar was like
    Vacation Bibble Skoole!)

    --

    My newest company is developing computer chips which
    store and play music for implantation into women's boobs.

    This may resolve complaints from women about men always
    staring at their breasts - but never listening to them!
    Bucky Breeder, Jun 7, 2007
  9. John Holmes Guest

    Bucky Breeder "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > [Bottom-posting corrected... ]
    >

    > John Holmes hammered this out in stone (or while he was):
    >>
    >> **** off then, you whining imbecile.

    > [Continutity simulated... ]
    >

    >> "contributed" in this group:
    >>>
    >>> Trolls everywhere.

    > [Contexualtardation repaired... ]
    >

    > LOL! "T-t-t-they-r-r-r-r *EVERY*where..."
    >
    > And that from a GoggleGroper ROTF-LMFAO!
    >
    > (It's not like the good old days when
    > rec.music.classical.guitar was like
    > Vacation Bibble Skoole!)

    <g>

    --
    Your mother was a warty leviathan who ran a flea-circus in disused
    warehouses.
    John Holmes, Jun 7, 2007
  10. dadiOH Guest

    wrote:

    >>> Where can I find a list of newsgroup servers to have thunderbird
    >>> connect to?

    >> Your ISP may have 1.
    >> <---- over there, ^ that away and slightly to the left of ---->

    > Trolls everywhere.

    He gave you an answer which may work for you if you have the wit to
    check.

    Barring that you can always go pay for one. Google will explain...

    --

    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
    dadiOH, Jun 7, 2007
  11. gr1mace43 Guest

    On Jun 7, 5:22 pm, "dadiOH" <> wrote:

    > >> Your ISP may have 1.
    > >> <---- over there, ^ that away and slightly to the left of ---->

    > > Trolls everywhere.

    > He gave you an answer which may work for you if you have the wit to
    > check.
    >
    > Barring that you can always go pay for one. Google will explain...
    >
    > --
    >
    > dadiOH
    >
    > dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
    > Get it athttp://mysite.verizon.net/xico