where to dload dosshell?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Toolman Tim, Dec 9, 2005.

  1. Toolman Tim

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:,
    gaj spewed forth:
    > Old hardrive broke and I can't seem to find place to download a free
    > version of dosshell (and qbasic, if possible) for my new one. Using
    > 900 MHz pc with Windows 2000. thanks.

    Those are DOS 6.x utilities - do you have your old DOS discs?

    --
    We put the "K" in "Kwality"!

    Toolman Tim, Dec 9, 2005

  2. Toolman Tim

    philo Guest

    "gaj" <> wrote in message
    > Old hardrive broke and I can't seem to find place to download a free
    > version of dosshell (and qbasic, if possible) for my new one. Using 900
    > MHz pc with Windows 2000. thanks.

    dosshell is one of the few, free microsoft downloads

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;117600

    if it does not include qbasic
    i'm sure all you have to do is a google search

    philo, Dec 9, 2005

  3. Toolman Tim

    Trax Guest

    Trax, Dec 9, 2005
  4. Toolman Tim

    philo Guest

    "gaj" <> wrote in message
    > Like the man says... no dosshell available there from microsoft (that I
    > dan see, anyway). So, where else??

    yes there is!!!!
    in the 720k disk 2

    if you look on google there are also quite a few hits

    philo, Dec 9, 2005
  5. Toolman Tim

    Toolman Tim Guest

    (Top posting fixed...)

    In news:,
    gaj spewed forth:
    > Toolman Tim wrote:
    >> In news:,
    >> gaj spewed forth:
    >>
    >>> Old hardrive broke and I can't seem to find place to download a free
    >>> version of dosshell (and qbasic, if possible) for my new one. Using
    >>> 900 MHz pc with Windows 2000. thanks.

    >> Those are DOS 6.x utilities - do you have your old DOS discs?

    > No I do not.

    (It's best in newsgroups to post your followups at the bottom so the final
    script reads in consecutive order)

    Qbasic: http://www.fluid.tue.nl/student/colleges/NLS/software.html
    Dosshell: http://support.microsoft.com/?id=117600

    --
    We put the "K" in "Kwality"!

    Toolman Tim, Dec 9, 2005
  6. Toolman Tim

    Trax Guest

    gaj <> wrote:

    |>No, the dosshell I want is one that came with dos back before they had
    |>windows. It allowed viewing the files, and the greatest feature (and
    |>one that I don't know ay other way to do ) was that when selecting a
    |>file and hitting F9, it showed the content of the file, making any text
    |>therein readable.

    Had this one bookmark'd for just this reason :)
    http://www.uv.tietgen.dk/staff/mlha/Download/DOS/

    --
    Things in bottles http://tinyurl.com/5958l

    Trax, Dec 9, 2005
  7. Toolman Tim

    gaj Guest

    gaj, Dec 10, 2005
  8. Toolman Tim

    gaj Guest

    No I do not.

    gaj, Dec 10, 2005
  9. Toolman Tim

    gaj Guest

    gaj, Dec 10, 2005
  10. Toolman Tim

    gaj Guest

    gaj, Dec 10, 2005
  11. Toolman Tim

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:,
    Ralph Wade Phillips spewed forth:
    > Howdy!
    >
    > "gaj" <> wrote in message
    >> Old hardrive broke and I can't seem to find place to download a free
    >> version of dosshell (and qbasic, if possible) for my new one. Using
    >> 900 MHz pc with Windows 2000. thanks.

    > *boggle* DOSSHELL with Win2K?

    yeah - what about "long file names" and such? DOSShell is gonna screw them
    up ever so badly...

    He hinted in a different post in this thread that he uses it as a sort of
    file manager to locate and view text files. Well, hey, that's what Explorer
    is for. And it's not going to mess with the system.

    --
    We put the "K" in "Kwality"!

    Toolman Tim, Dec 10, 2005
  12. Howdy!

    "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    > In news:,
    > Ralph Wade Phillips spewed forth:
    > > Howdy!
    > >
    > > "gaj" <> wrote in message
    > >> Old hardrive broke and I can't seem to find place to download a free
    > >> version of dosshell (and qbasic, if possible) for my new one. Using
    > >> 900 MHz pc with Windows 2000. thanks.

    > > *boggle* DOSSHELL with Win2K?

    > yeah - what about "long file names" and such? DOSShell is gonna screw them
    > up ever so badly...
    >
    > He hinted in a different post in this thread that he uses it as a sort of
    > file manager to locate and view text files. Well, hey, that's what

    Explorer
    > is for. And it's not going to mess with the system.

    *nod* All he'll have to learn is "Your mouse has two buttons. USE
    THEM!" B)

    Right-click, left-click on "Open With", select Notepad, and whammo!
    You're there. Long file names, short file names, all made in Taiwan.

    Err - Sorry, ignore that last. I watched Armageddon a couple of
    nights ago B)

    RwP

    Ralph Wade Phillips, Dec 10, 2005
  13. Toolman Tim

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:,
    Ralph Wade Phillips spewed forth:
    > Howdy!
    >
    > "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    >> In news:,
    >> Ralph Wade Phillips spewed forth:
    >>> Howdy!
    >>>
    >>> "gaj" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> *boggle* DOSSHELL with Win2K?

    >> yeah - what about "long file names" and such? DOSShell is gonna
    >> screw them up ever so badly...
    >>
    >> He hinted in a different post in this thread that he uses it as a
    >> sort of file manager to locate and view text files. Well, hey,
    >> that's what Explorer is for. And it's not going to mess with the
    >> system.

    > *nod* All he'll have to learn is "Your mouse has two buttons.
    > USE THEM!" B)
    >
    > Right-click, left-click on "Open With", select Notepad, and
    > whammo! You're there. Long file names, short file names, all made in
    > Taiwan.
    >
    > Err - Sorry, ignore that last. I watched Armageddon a couple
    > of nights ago B)
    >
    > RwP

    <VBG>

    --
    We put the "K" in "Kwality"!

    Toolman Tim, Dec 10, 2005
  14. Toolman Tim

    Plato Guest

    Toolman Tim wrote:

    > yeah - what about "long file names" and such? DOSShell is gonna screw them
    > up ever so badly...

    dosHELL perhaps?

    Plato, Dec 10, 2005
  15. Toolman Tim

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:439b1e0f$0$46431$,
    Plato spewed forth:
    > Toolman Tim wrote:
    >>
    >> yeah - what about "long file names" and such? DOSShell is gonna
    >> screw them up ever so badly...

    > dosHELL perhaps?

    Exactly <g>

    --
    We put the "K" in "Kwality"!

    Toolman Tim, Dec 10, 2005
  16. Toolman Tim

    Plato Guest

    gaj wrote:

    > Hey guys, can you even imagine how amazed I am seeing my files opening
    > in Notepad? Why didn't anybody ever tell me? I need to go to
    > kindergarten for computers.

    Notepad will open any file, as long as it's not too large. Sometimes
    comes in handy to ID the source of a file or the author. However, NEVER
    save a non-txt file you open in notepad back as it will corrupt the
    file.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Dec 10, 2005
  17. Toolman Tim

    Trax Guest

    gaj <> wrote:

    |>Hey guys, can you even imagine how amazed I am seeing my files opening
    |>in Notepad? Why didn't anybody ever tell me? I need to go to
    |>kindergarten for computers.

    |>What can I contribute in gratitude? I know -- in case you are into
    |>numbers, get ubasic with arbitrary precision math, (means that it
    |>doesn't truncate long numbers like 2^257-1 (78 digits). It comes with an
    |>integer factoring program (using the elliptical curve method) that
    |>factors big numbers rapidly, at least as fast as Wolfram's Mathematica,
    |>and it's free. This is DOS only, but if anybody knows a Windows app
    |>that does big math (for free, I live under a bridge), please let me
    |>know. Also, a neat listing of the first trillion or so primes is at
    |>Ulam's spiral. Thanks.

    ? open the calculator program and under view select scientific;
    Powertoys has a graphic's calculator
    http://threeclicks.com/powertoys.htm - also google for what you want
    there's a lot of free calculators out there.

    --
    http://tinyurl.com/7ocke

    gaj, Dec 10, 2005