Where to Buy?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Matt, Nov 14, 2004.

  1. Matt

    Matt Guest

    Matt, Nov 14, 2004

  2. Matt

    Harry Krause Guest

    Matt wrote:
    > I am based in the UK and am looking to buy a Canon 20D, lenses, flash, etc.
    >
    > The following two places seem to be good value for money:
    >
    > B&H in America http://www.bhphotovideo.com
    > Digital-Rev on Ebay
    > http://stores.ebay.co.uk/DigitalRev-Photography-Shop_W0QQsspagenameZl2QQtZkm
    >

    > Both seem to be pretty reputable. Any recommendations what they are like,
    > or other places worth checking as well?
    >

    > Cheers

    I'd go with B&H. Very reputable, does lots of internet business, is a
    real store, with real people.
    Harry Krause, Nov 14, 2004

  3. Matt

    Bones Guest

    "Matt" <> wrote
    >I am based in the UK and am looking to buy a Canon 20D, lenses, flash, etc.
    >
    > The following two places seem to be good value for money:
    >
    > B&H in America http://www.bhphotovideo.com
    > Digital-Rev on Ebay
    > http://stores.ebay.co.uk/DigitalRev-Photography-Shop_W0QQsspagenameZl2QQtZkm
    >

    > Both seem to be pretty reputable. Any recommendations what they are like,
    > or other places worth checking as well?

    Watch out for things like warrantee coverage, if you're buying from
    overseas. Also, are you sure you can import in the U.K. without getting
    soaked with duties and additional taxes? It may not be worth it to buy
    elsewhere, once you factor that in.
    Bones, Nov 14, 2004
  4. Matt

    Harvey Guest

    "Matt" <> wrote in message
    >I am based in the UK and am looking to buy a Canon 20D, lenses, flash, etc.
    >
    > The following two places seem to be good value for money:
    >
    > B&H in America http://www.bhphotovideo.com
    > Digital-Rev on Ebay
    > http://stores.ebay.co.uk/DigitalRev-Photography-Shop_W0QQsspagenameZl2QQtZkm
    >

    > Both seem to be pretty reputable. Any recommendations what they are like,
    > or other places worth checking as well?
    >

    > Cheers

    http://www.cameras2u.com

    http://www.warehouseexpress.com

    http://www.jessops.co.uk/

    ...all good.
    Harvey, Nov 14, 2004
  5. Matt

    Matt Guest

    Just out of interest. How much is import tax from USA to UK?

    Matt, Nov 14, 2004
  6. Matt

    Thomas Guest

    Thomas, Nov 14, 2004
  7. Matt

    cc0112453 Guest

    Matt, I don't think you could go wrong with either site. B&H has a well
    known reputation and is highly rated at sites that rate these types of
    outlets. Not familiar with DigitalRev on eBay but their rating is pretty
    good. Hard to please 100 percent of the people all of the time, 98.8 out
    of 100 is pretty good. I also read the feedback that a particular seller
    receives as well as sends. You can get a pretty clear impression of what
    type of business attitude they have and how they treat their customers. The
    negative feedback is particularly telling. If they treat the difficult
    customers well, you can assume that you will get a fair deal. That's my
    opinion anyway.

    cc0112453, Nov 14, 2004
  8. Matt

    Aerticus Guest

    Hmm Matt - it is a rocky road if you trip up.

    I understand that C&E don't base tax or excise calculations on the purchase
    price but on the UK retail price

    OTOH the delivery may slip through

    Try
    http://uk.pricegrabber.com
    and
    http://uk.pricerunner.com
    and of course

    www.google.co.uk

    I hope your purchase is a nightmare free experience

    Aerticus

    Aerticus, Nov 14, 2004
  9. Matt

    Matt Guest

    Thank you for the link, but why the need for 'Import Duty'?

    At the prices they are charging for VAT and Import Duty, it would be cheaper
    to fly over and bring it back in my suitcase.

    Matt, Nov 14, 2004
  10. Could try www.7dayshop.com They are based in Channel Islands and reckon that
    they supply with British duty paid... I got my Nikon from them and was well
    pleased.. (Camera was a yank, but it was £100 cheaper than anywhere else)
    Hugs
    Eddie

    Eddie Daughton, Nov 15, 2004
  11. Matt

    Guest Guest

    B&H Photo, Adorama and KEH.com are the ONLY way to go for new & used
    products. All are extremely reputable as seen by the responses here.

    Guest, Nov 18, 2004