    good, but is Gateway any better? Or is there somewhere better that I
    haven't considered yet?
    , Apr 14, 2006

  2. Alex Clayton Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hello. I'm thinking of buying a new computer through either Dell or
    > Gateway. Someone told me once that Dell computers weren't all that
    > good, but is Gateway any better? Or is there somewhere better that I
    > haven't considered yet?

    What is it you want it for?
    --
    Note:
    If you find a posting or message from me
    Alex Clayton, Apr 14, 2006

  3. Guest

    I would suggest checking around your town for a local computer shop.
    Often you'll find reasonably good deals from them, along with a real
    human to talk to for support. Not to mention you would be helping out a
    small business.

    As for Dell/Gateway reliability, it's hard to say. Encounters with
    lemons have been rare from either camp. Gateways can be bought in
    person from Best Buy (instant gratification!), whereas Dell is only
    available direct. When buying with Dell, your best bet is to buy via
    their website, and keep an eye out for "free upgrades" (Usually RAM,
    burners, hard drives) which change weekly.

    Or if you wish to go a completely different direction... Theres the
    Apple Macintosh. After all, they can boot Windows now, in addition to
    MacOS! (Available direct, or through CompUSA)

    Also, if the machine is simply going to replace your old one, take note
    that you already have a perfectly good mouse, keyboard, and monitor.
    Often you can save yourself some money by recycling this existing
    equipment. (It's not uncommon for monitors to outlive a PC by many
    years)

    I hope this was helpful!

    wrote:
    > Hello. I'm thinking of buying a new computer through either Dell or
    > Gateway. Someone told me once that Dell computers weren't all that
    > good, but is Gateway any better? Or is there somewhere better that I
    > haven't considered yet?
    , Apr 14, 2006
  4. Guest

    > What is it you want it for?

    Nothing special, really. I have a second computer I use for on-line
    stuff and use the first for everything else so someone else can go
    on-line. (We have two phone lines and a dial-up service that only
    allows access from one computer at a time) Occasionally I download
    programs off the internet onto the first computer, but it's hooked up
    to the primary phone line so I don't do that very often. The only
    thing actually wrong with it is the harddrive, but we figured if we're
    going to get a new harddrive we might as well get a new system to go
    with it.
    , Apr 15, 2006
  5. Alex Clayton Guest

    <> wrote in message
    >> What is it you want it for?

    > Nothing special, really. I have a second computer I use for on-line
    > stuff and use the first for everything else so someone else can go
    > on-line. (We have two phone lines and a dial-up service that only
    > allows access from one computer at a time) Occasionally I download
    > programs off the internet onto the first computer, but it's hooked up
    > to the primary phone line so I don't do that very often. The only
    > thing actually wrong with it is the harddrive, but we figured if we're
    > going to get a new harddrive we might as well get a new system to go
    > with it.

    If you just want a basic PC then, pick up the Sunday paper. See who has one
    that week. Someone always does. Desktops run 3-500 $. Nice note books can be
    had for $500.00 now. As to service I use dial up at home and have had a
    couple ISP's over the years. they both will let us have 2 PC's on line at
    the same time. Which ISP are you using that they will not?
    Moderation is for monks."
    [Lazarus Long]
    Alex Clayton, Apr 16, 2006
  6. Guest

    > If you just want a basic PC then, pick up the Sunday paper. See who has one
    > that week. Someone always does. Desktops run 3-500 $. Nice note books can be
    > had for $500.00 now. As to service I use dial up at home and have had a
    > couple ISP's over the years. they both will let us have 2 PC's on line at
    > the same time. Which ISP are you using that they will not?

    Compuserve.
    , Apr 21, 2006
  7. Alex Clayton Guest

    <> wrote in message
    >> If you just want a basic PC then, pick up the Sunday paper. See who has
    >> one
    >> that week. Someone always does. Desktops run 3-500 $. Nice note books can
    >> be
    >> had for $500.00 now. As to service I use dial up at home and have had a
    >> couple ISP's over the years. they both will let us have 2 PC's on line at
    >> the same time. Which ISP are you using that they will not?

    > Compuserve.

    Unless they are cheaper, just switch then. I used EarthLink for several
    years. We have 2 phone lines into the house. We would often have 2 PC's
    running at the same time on the one account, never a problem. Same with the
    local ISP I use now, often I have had 2 PC's here on it, never a glitch. I
    know many years ago wife was still using AOL. They would not let us on if
    one of the kids was on with her account.
    Moderation is for monks."
    [Lazarus Long]
    Alex Clayton, Apr 21, 2006