    newspaper of private trade advertisements. It was all fruitless -- I
    could not find any Fuji F710 offered for sale. Where can I buy one ?
    Thanks.

    minnesotti, Jul 23, 2006

  2. minnesotti

    minnesotti Guest

    Anybody -- where can I buy the said camera ???

    minnesotti, Jul 24, 2006

  3. minnesotti

    Guest

    Yes, it had nice colors and good dynamic range, even good ergonomics..
    but it wasn't that good resolution wise, even when compared with other
    3Mp cameras, let alone 6's. I would go back and do some more research!

    http://www.behardware.com/articles/518-8/fujifilm-finepix-f710-3-or-6-megapixels.html

    Given one cannot even be found on Eb*y, it would appear Fuji abandoned
    production very quickly - perhaps it just didn't sell..

    minnesotti wrote:
    > Anybody -- where can I buy the said camera ???
    >
    > minnesotti wrote:
    > > Hi there,
    > >
    > > I decided that I wanted a camera withgh a high dynamic range. I found
    > > such a camera -- it was Fujifilm FinePix F710. It had a Super CCD SR
    > > sensor, which had a high-sensitivity pixel and a low-sensitivity pixel
    > > at each photosite. Thus, it was said, it had a high dynamic range. The
    > > camera was released in April 2004, and is ceased to be manufactured
    > > since then.
    > >
    > > I did a search on the Internet, on eBay and in the primary local
    > > newspaper of private trade advertisements. It was all fruitless -- I
    > > could not find any Fuji F710 offered for sale. Where can I buy one ?
    > > Thanks.
    > >
    > > ..
    , Jul 24, 2006
  4. minnesotti

    Guest

    minnesotti wrote:
    > Hi there,
    >
    > I decided that I wanted a camera withgh a high dynamic range. I found
    > such a camera -- it was Fujifilm FinePix F710. It had a Super CCD SR
    > sensor, which had a high-sensitivity pixel and a low-sensitivity pixel
    > at each photosite. Thus, it was said, it had a high dynamic range. The
    > camera was released in April 2004, and is ceased to be manufactured
    > since then.
    >
    > I did a search on the Internet, on eBay and in the primary local
    > newspaper of private trade advertisements. It was all fruitless -- I
    > could not find any Fuji F710 offered for sale. Where can I buy one ?
    > Thanks.

    I have two of Fuji's previous version of the same camera - the F700
    (it's very similar to the F710 and uses the same sensor). It's a great
    camera when it works, but very often it doesn't work. The first one
    stopped working on the first day of my 5-day hiking trip in the Smoky
    Mountains (after the warranty expired, too). I guess the sensor had a
    problem, so all the pictures were purple and green and smudged to the
    point of unrecognizability.

    This is a known fault of these sensors, and Fuji had a recall on F700s
    within certain serial number ranges. Well, guess what, my camera wasn't
    included the recall, so now it's an expensive paperweight.

    I figured this was just a freak occurrence, I liked the camera, and I
    already had a ton of accessories (underwater case, extra batteries,
    separate charger, etc.), so I bought a replacement on eBay. Well, 6
    months later in the new camera the shutter speed control is screwed up,
    so it won't shoot faster than about 1/100, even when the shutter speed
    is set faster. So all outdoor pictures are way overexposed. Fuji
    Finepix - never again. I got a Panasonic Lumix LX-1 instead, and so far
    I'm happy with it. I'll probably still use the screwed up Fuji for
    underwater pictures, because you can't really shoot faster than 1/100
    underwater anyway.

    Other points you may want to consider about the F710 (based on the
    F700, but should be applicable):

    - It's really a 3mp camera, not 6mp. They call it 6mp because it has a
    high-sensitivity and a low-sensitivity element at each "pixel", but the
    resolution isn't anywhere near a true 6mp.

    - Very poor battery life. 150 shots WITHOUT FLASH and the battery is
    done.

    - It uses strangely high compression in JPEGs. You can clearly see JPEG
    artifacts in pictures. This isn't adjustable.

    - The high dynamic range Fuji claims does work, but you really take
    advantage of it only when you shoot RAW. The problem with that is that
    the RAW files are huuuuge (like 20-30MB, IIRC), because they include
    the output of both types of sensors. Even with a 1GB xD card, you won't
    get very many shots.

    Just my $0.02.

    Gniewko
    , Jul 24, 2006
  5. minnesotti

    minnesotti Guest

    Thanks for telling all of this to me, but it does not help me to find
    Fuji F710. Perhaps, I should post this question every day and flood the
    newsgroup until someone answers me...

    minnesotti, Jul 25, 2006
  6. minnesotti

    Bill Funk Guest

    On 25 Jul 2006 06:07:40 -0700, "minnesotti" <>
    wrote:

    >Thanks for telling all of this to me, but it does not help me to find
    >Fuji F710. Perhaps, I should post this question every day and flood the
    >newsgroup until someone answers me...

    It would probably be more productive if you looked yourself, instead
    of pissing off those you seem to want to help you, don't you think?

    Google is a good resource for finding things that aren't readily
    available. Keep looking.
    Of course, there are other obvious places to look: eBay, and other
    auction sites, for example.
    Good Luck!
    --
    Bill Funk
    replace "g" with "a"
    Bill Funk, Jul 25, 2006
  7. minnesotti

    ASAAR Guest

    On 25 Jul 2006 06:07:40 -0700, minnesotti wrote:

    > Thanks for telling all of this to me, but it does not help me to find
    > Fuji F710. Perhaps, I should post this question every day and flood the
    > newsgroup until someone answers me...

    You could do that, but it would then make it much less likely that
    anyone would help you in the future. I think you're making a
    mistake thinking that people here have the answer you're seeking but
    just don't want to help. It's more likely that they don't know, and
    not getting replies is much better than getting hundreds of
    ASAAR, Jul 26, 2006
  8. minnesotti

    minnesotti Guest

    wrote:
    > minnesotti wrote:
    > > Hi there,
    > >
    > > I decided that I wanted a camera withgh a high dynamic range. I found
    > > such a camera -- it was Fujifilm FinePix F710. It had a Super CCD SR
    > > sensor, which had a high-sensitivity pixel and a low-sensitivity pixel
    > > at each photosite. Thus, it was said, it had a high dynamic range. The
    > > camera was released in April 2004, and is ceased to be manufactured
    > > since then.
    > >
    > > I did a search on the Internet, on eBay and in the primary local
    > > newspaper of private trade advertisements. It was all fruitless -- I
    > > could not find any Fuji F710 offered for sale. Where can I buy one ?
    > > Thanks.

    > I have two of Fuji's previous version of the same camera - the F700
    > (it's very similar to the F710 and uses the same sensor). It's a great
    > camera when it works, but very often it doesn't work. The first one
    > stopped working on the first day of my 5-day hiking trip in the Smoky
    > Mountains (after the warranty expired, too). I guess the sensor had a
    > problem, so all the pictures were purple and green and smudged to the
    > point of unrecognizability.
    >
    > This is a known fault of these sensors, and Fuji had a recall on F700s
    > within certain serial number ranges. Well, guess what, my camera wasn't
    > included the recall, so now it's an expensive paperweight.
    >
    > I figured this was just a freak occurrence, I liked the camera, and I
    > already had a ton of accessories (underwater case, extra batteries,
    > separate charger, etc.), so I bought a replacement on eBay. Well, 6
    > months later in the new camera the shutter speed control is screwed up,
    > so it won't shoot faster than about 1/100, even when the shutter speed
    > is set faster. So all outdoor pictures are way overexposed. Fuji
    > Finepix - never again. I got a Panasonic Lumix LX-1 instead, and so far
    > I'm happy with it. I'll probably still use the screwed up Fuji for
    > underwater pictures, because you can't really shoot faster than 1/100
    > underwater anyway.
    >
    > Other points you may want to consider about the F710 (based on the
    > F700, but should be applicable):
    >
    > - It's really a 3mp camera, not 6mp. They call it 6mp because it has a
    > high-sensitivity and a low-sensitivity element at each "pixel", but the
    > resolution isn't anywhere near a true 6mp.
    >
    > - Very poor battery life. 150 shots WITHOUT FLASH and the battery is
    > done.
    >
    > - It uses strangely high compression in JPEGs. You can clearly see JPEG
    > artifacts in pictures. This isn't adjustable.
    >
    > - The high dynamic range Fuji claims does work, but you really take
    > advantage of it only when you shoot RAW. The problem with that is that
    > the RAW files are huuuuge (like 20-30MB, IIRC), because they include
    > the output of both types of sensors. Even with a 1GB xD card, you won't
    > get very many shots.
    >
    > Just my $0.02.
    >
    > Gniewko

    Thanks Gniewko. Perhaps this was what I wanted to hear. I put into my
    mind that Fuji F710 had the features I wanted and was unique in this
    respect, but probably not all is well in this kingdom as I imagined it
    to be.
    minnesotti, Jul 26, 2006
  9. minnesotti

    minnesotti Guest

    HDR software

    Bill Funk wrote:

    > Google is a good resource for finding things that aren't readily
    > available. Keep looking.
    > Of course, there are other obvious places to look: eBay, and other
    > auction sites, for example.

    Or, I just read on the dpreview Panasonic forum about the so-called
    "HDR software". It allows to combine several over-exposed and
    under-exposed images of the same place, and produce a picture of the
    high dynamic range. I downloaded the free software called EasyHDR, and
    trialled it with the three images of my lamp. I am impressed with the
    capabilities, and I like the approach. When the weekend comes, I will
    snap a few proper pictures and play around with this software.
    Hoepfully, it will deliver what I was looking for (or close to that).
    minnesotti, Jul 26, 2006
  10. minnesotti

    Bill Funk Guest

    Re: HDR software

    On 26 Jul 2006 03:38:01 -0700, "minnesotti" <>
    wrote:

    >Bill Funk wrote:
    >
    >> Google is a good resource for finding things that aren't readily
    >> available. Keep looking.
    >> Of course, there are other obvious places to look: eBay, and other
    >> auction sites, for example.

    >Or, I just read on the dpreview Panasonic forum about the so-called
    >"HDR software". It allows to combine several over-exposed and
    >under-exposed images of the same place, and produce a picture of the
    >high dynamic range. I downloaded the free software called EasyHDR, and
    >trialled it with the three images of my lamp. I am impressed with the
    >capabilities, and I like the approach. When the weekend comes, I will
    >snap a few proper pictures and play around with this software.
    >Hoepfully, it will deliver what I was looking for (or close to that).

    Thanks for the program name!
    But, what does this have to do with finding an F710?
    --
    Bill Funk
    replace "g" with "a"
    Bill Funk, Jul 26, 2006
  11. minnesotti

    minnesotti Guest

    Re: HDR software

    Bill Funk wrote:
    > On 26 Jul 2006 03:38:01 -0700, "minnesotti" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    > >Bill Funk wrote:
    > >
    > >> Google is a good resource for finding things that aren't readily
    > >> available. Keep looking.
    > >> Of course, there are other obvious places to look: eBay, and other
    > >> auction sites, for example.

    > >Or, I just read on the dpreview Panasonic forum about the so-called
    > >"HDR software". It allows to combine several over-exposed and
    > >under-exposed images of the same place, and produce a picture of the
    > >high dynamic range. I downloaded the free software called EasyHDR, and
    > >trialled it with the three images of my lamp. I am impressed with the
    > >capabilities, and I like the approach. When the weekend comes, I will
    > >snap a few proper pictures and play around with this software.
    > >Hoepfully, it will deliver what I was looking for (or close to that).

    > Thanks for the program name!
    > But, what does this have to do with finding an F710?

    This means I might not want anymore to look for Fuji F710 which has a
    high DR. Instead, I do the pictures by the "software" method, that is
    making a few pictures with my Pana LX1 of the same place, and combine
    them with the high-DR software to get one resulting pic of a high DR.

    Or, I won't get a high DR by software method which could possibly be
    gotten only by the "hardware" method ?

    minnesotti, Jul 27, 2006
  12. minnesotti

    Bill Funk Guest

    Re: HDR software

    On 26 Jul 2006 16:21:22 -0700, "minnesotti" <>
    wrote:

    >Bill Funk wrote:
    >> On 26 Jul 2006 03:38:01 -0700, "minnesotti" <>
    >> wrote:

    >> >Or, I just read on the dpreview Panasonic forum about the so-called
    >> >"HDR software". It allows to combine several over-exposed and
    >> >under-exposed images of the same place, and produce a picture of the
    >> >high dynamic range. I downloaded the free software called EasyHDR, and
    >> >trialled it with the three images of my lamp. I am impressed with the
    >> >capabilities, and I like the approach. When the weekend comes, I will
    >> >snap a few proper pictures and play around with this software.
    >> >Hoepfully, it will deliver what I was looking for (or close to that).

    >> Thanks for the program name!
    >> But, what does this have to do with finding an F710?

    >This means I might not want anymore to look for Fuji F710 which has a
    >high DR. Instead, I do the pictures by the "software" method, that is
    >making a few pictures with my Pana LX1 of the same place, and combine
    >them with the high-DR software to get one resulting pic of a high DR.
    >
    >Or, I won't get a high DR by software method which could possibly be
    >gotten only by the "hardware" method ?
    >
    >..

    From what I've seen (I've not toyed with HDR software yet, but it's on
    my to-do list), there is no hardware in the consumer (meaning
    available over-the-counter) camera marketplace that will come close to
    what software HDR will do.

    Does this match others' opinions?
    --
    Bill Funk
    replace "g" with "a"
    Bill Funk, Jul 27, 2006
  13. minnesotti

    Hebee Jeebes Guest

    Re: HDR software

    I would agree that you won't find a consumer digi-cam that can produce the
    same high definition image you can get from doing and HDR from differently
    exposed images.

    This of course provided HDR images are something you like the look of. I
    have yet to see one I would consider nice looking. Most don't look real,
    more like renderings.

    Hebee Jeebes, Jul 27, 2006
  14. Re: HDR software

    "Bill Funk" <> wrote in message
    SNIP
    > From what I've seen (I've not toyed with HDR software yet, but it's
    > on my to-do list), there is no hardware in the consumer (meaning
    > available over-the-counter) camera marketplace that will come
    > close to what software HDR will do.
    >
    > Does this match others' opinions?

    Correct, but one needs to "tonemap" the luminosity range to the output
    device's capabilities, e.g.:
    <http://www2.cs.uh.edu/~somalley/hdri_images.html#hdr_images> and
    <http://www.picturenaut.de/hdri.html> .

    Bart