Where to Buy a Nikon Digital SLR

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Jon Hirschman, Aug 6, 2005.

  1. Has anyone found the best place (low price) to buy a Nikon Digital SLR
    (D70, D50, D70s)? Please no bait and switch artists.

    Jon Hirschman, Aug 6, 2005

  2. Jon Hirschman

    wavelength Guest

    bhphotovideo.com is pretty comprehensive. Don't be baited by most of
    the other Brooklyn companies on the web like Abes, butterflyphoto, and
    buydig. They're okay, but they don't have nearly the same breadth of
    accessories and many times B&H has lower prices than they advertise
    when you actually get to the "add to cart" part.

    wavelength, Aug 6, 2005

  3. Jon Hirschman

    wavelength Guest

    Oh, BTW

    Avoid Royalcamera.com like the plague.

    wavelength, Aug 6, 2005
  4. On Sat, 06 Aug 2005 00:35:57 GMT, Jon Hirschman wrote:
    > Has anyone found the best place (low price) to buy a Nikon Digital SLR
    > (D70, D50, D70s)? Please no bait and switch artists.

    You're located on the outskirts of Tirana, correct?

    Allodoxaphobia, Aug 6, 2005
  5. Jon Hirschman

    Sheldon Guest

    "Jon Hirschman" <> wrote in message
    > Has anyone found the best place (low price) to buy a Nikon Digital SLR
    > (D70, D50, D70s)? Please no bait and switch artists.

    Just carefully check the reputation of the seller. While I like B&H a lot,
    as well as Adorama, I got the best price from Circuit City online when I got
    my D70. If the price looks too good to be true, it is.

    Sheldon, Aug 6, 2005
  6. Jon Hirschman

    GTO Guest

    For Nikon lenses, I use B&H and sometimes Adorama. But I purchase the camera
    bodies in my local camera store, which happens to be a Wolf Camera store.
    Reason, I like to see if the mechanics/electronics of the body works.
    Chances are very good that when it works in the store, it will work for
    years to come. I also can easily spot if its a return item. Especially, the
    D70 could be a return item since its on the market for over a year. So, you
    need to check the SN to ensure it's a newer body. (Just remember that Nikon
    groups SNs by geography.)

    Gregor

    GTO, Aug 6, 2005
  7. I recently purchased my D70s on line from B&H Photo. Easy to use web
    site. Also purchased a U/V Filter, CF Card and Lowenpro Case. Delivery
    came by UPS in 3 days. Couldn't be easier.

    Alan

    Alan Wonsowski, Aug 6, 2005
  8. Jon Hirschman

    Shawn Hirn Guest

    In article <NBTIe.110$eR.67@trndny04>,
    "Jon Hirschman" <> wrote:

    > Has anyone found the best place (low price) to buy a Nikon Digital SLR
    > (D70, D50, D70s)? Please no bait and switch artists.

    Do you want lowest price or best service? You can't have them both at
    the same time. I prefer best service which is why I recommend B&H Photo.

    Shawn Hirn, Aug 6, 2005
  9. When buying by mail order price would be more important to me then service,
    the service I would expect is for the seller to ship the camera as
    advertised via the method I choose during the purchase.

    Jon Hirschman, Aug 6, 2005
  10. Jon Hirschman

    Sal Guest

    If you can, buy from a bricks and mortar where you can hold the camera
    and get a feel for working it. Of course, sales tax in store or on
    Internet if they have stores in your state. Apart from that, Amazon
    is fine and they have extremely easy returns, but not the cheapest.
    Have to echo props to B&H. They are quite distinguished in the fact
    they won't let you make an order for an out of stock item. I bought a
    Tamrac dSLR bag and Canon gear cheat sheets from them and was pleased
    with their service. Best place does not mean low price, by any means.

    Sal, Aug 6, 2005
  11. On this date, Sal extended this wisdom for the consideration
    of other readers...

    > If you can, buy from a bricks and mortar where you can hold
    > the camera and get a feel for working it. Of course, sales
    > tax in store or on Internet if they have stores in your
    > state. Apart from that, Amazon is fine and they have
    > extremely easy returns, but not the cheapest. Have to echo
    > props to B&H. They are quite distinguished in the fact
    > they won't let you make an order for an out of stock item.
    > I bought a Tamrac dSLR bag and Canon gear cheat sheets from
    > them and was pleased with their service. Best place does
    > not mean low price, by any means.

    I would /strongly/ agree with your advice to buy locally, not
    the web or from a "brick and mortar" store that won't let you
    try it out real-world. Had I demanded a test drive, I'd not have
    kept my current Nikon Coolpix 5700 as it's flash performance for
    my use is dismal and it is a noisy camera, even at ISO 100.

    Luckily, my local store did let me test drive the Nikon 8800
    which was better in every way than my 5700 except for flash,
    where it was actually worse, despite all-new iTTL flash
    technology and an all-new SB-800 external.

    I've idled down my search for a replacement until this fall, but
    I'm thinking more and more of abandoning my insistance on an EVF
    and switching to a DSLR, but it'll likely be a Canon.

    --
    ATM, aka Jerry

    All Things Mopar, Aug 6, 2005
  12. Jon Hirschman

    henryp Guest

    <I prefer best service which is why I recommend B&H Photo.>

    Thank you.

    Henry Posner
    B&H Photo-Video, Inc.

    henryp, Aug 8, 2005
  13. Per Jon Hirschman:
    > Has anyone found the best place (low price) to buy a Nikon Digital SLR
    >(D70, D50, D70s)? Please no bait and switch artists.

    I recently got mine from www.thecamerabox.com.

    I called the 800 number they give on their web site.

    I'd call it a very good buying experience: decent price, no pushing of add-ons,
    reasonable shipping charge, prompt delivery.

    If my professional photog/windsurfing acquaintance hadn't recommended them, I
    would have gone to B&H - another excellent outfit that offers prices that are
    pretty much down with the best.

    Watch out for the guys that offer a nominal price that's five bucks below most
    and then bang you for $30 "Shipping And Handling".
    --
    PeteCresswell

    (PeteCresswell), Aug 8, 2005
  14. henryp wrote:

    > <I prefer best service which is why I recommend B&H Photo.>
    >
    > Thank you.
    >
    > Henry Posner
    > B&H Photo-Video, Inc.

    Keep up the great friendly service, Henry! Every time I place an order with
    B&H before noon my UPS driver hands the package to me the next day. Thanks
    again for putting customer service so high on your list.

    Rita

    Rita Ä Berkowitz, Aug 9, 2005
  15. Jon Hirschman

    Father Kodak Guest

    On 8 Aug 2005 14:16:21 -0700, "henryp" <>
    wrote:

    ><I prefer best service which is why I recommend B&H Photo.>
    >
    >Thank you.
    >
    >Henry Posner
    >B&H Photo-Video, Inc.

    Henry,

    Do you or anyone else at B&H ever check EBay? Cameta camera is
    undercutting you by hundreds on Nikon D2X pricing.

    Father Kodak

    Father Kodak, Aug 9, 2005