    batteries.

    What are the major differences between these and any preferences?

    Dave C.

    Dave Cardarelli, Nov 21, 2003

  2. "Dave Cardarelli" <> writes:

    > Looking for site to buy a MHC401FS charger or MHC204F charger for AA NiMh
    > batteries.
    >
    > What are the major differences between these and any preferences?

    <http://www.thomas-distributing.com/index.htm> is the place I've
    bought them.

    The 204f is a good medium charger with two charging circuits (for
    pairs of batteries). It has a "reconditioning" feature which on
    command will completely discharge and recharge the batteries.

    The 401fs is a better medium or fast (switch-selectable) charger with
    independent charging circuits for each of 4 batteries. It's the clear
    choice for my uses; I bought it to replace a 204f that was working
    fine. It doesn't have the recondition circuit, but claims not to need
    it either, because it has a "negative pulse charging" algorithm.

    Both come with a wall-wart and a car lighter plug, which is handy. I
    bought the optional world-voltage charger, which handles anything from
    110-240 volts at 50 or 60 Hz, needing only plug conversion adapters to
    function anywhere.
    --
    David Dyer-Bennet, <>, <www.dd-b.net/dd-b/>
    Dragaera/Steven Brust: <dragaera.info/>

    David Dyer-Bennet, Nov 21, 2003

  3. Dave Cardarelli

    Rick Guest

    "Dave Cardarelli" <> wrote in message news:4.net...
    > Looking for site to buy a MHC401FS charger or MHC204F charger for AA NiMh
    > batteries.
    >
    > What are the major differences between these and any preferences?

    During recharges, the C401FS monitors batteries individually (each
    one is on a separate monitoring chanel) while the C204F monitors
    them in pairs. Also the 204 is a 500mA charger (fully depleted
    2000mAH batteries take about 4 hours to recharge) while the 401
    is double that.

    Personal preference, if time isn't an issue and you use your AA's
    in pairs or fours then go for the C204F. It's easier on batteries.

    Both can be ordered here:
    http://www.thomas-distributing.com/maha_chargers.htm
    I've dealt with Thomas Distributing before, they're a great outfit.

    Rick

    Rick, Nov 21, 2003
  4. "Rick" <> writes:

    > "Dave Cardarelli" <> wrote in message news:4.net...
    > > Looking for site to buy a MHC401FS charger or MHC204F charger for AA NiMh
    > > batteries.
    > >
    > > What are the major differences between these and any preferences?

    > During recharges, the C401FS monitors batteries individually (each
    > one is on a separate monitoring chanel) while the C204F monitors
    > them in pairs. Also the 204 is a 500mA charger (fully depleted
    > 2000mAH batteries take about 4 hours to recharge) while the 401
    > is double that.
    >
    > Personal preference, if time isn't an issue and you use your AA's
    > in pairs or fours then go for the C204F. It's easier on batteries.

    If you use the 401fs in slow mode, it should be as good or better than
    the 204f, as I understand it. *And* you have the fast mode available
    for emergencies.

    > Both can be ordered here:
    > http://www.thomas-distributing.com/maha_chargers.htm
    > I've dealt with Thomas Distributing before, they're a great outfit.

    Yep, that's where mine (I've got both) came from.

    David Dyer-Bennet, Nov 21, 2003
  5. Dave Cardarelli

    Phil Guest

    Here:

    http://www.thomas-distributing.com/maha-mh-c204f.htm

    Lots of good info there, too.

    Phil

    Phil, Nov 21, 2003
  6. Dave Cardarelli

    zbzbzb Guest

    For those in the US there is a great deal at Costco for the "Panasonic BQ-390
    Quick Charger." The recharger is about the size of a pack of cigarettes (easily
    pocketable) and it comes with six AA 2100mAh Ni-MH and two 750 mAh Ni-MH AAA.
    Costco is selling it for $20.

    The charger can charge any combo of up to four AA at one time or up to two AAA
    at a time. A mix of AA and AAA can also be done. Here is a link describing it.

    http://www.starbatteries.com/pacotraabach.html

    zbzbzb, Nov 21, 2003
  7. "Dave Cardarelli" <> writes:

    > Looking for site to buy a MHC401FS charger or MHC204F charger for AA NiMh
    > batteries.
    >
    > What are the major differences between these and any preferences?

    I myself use a Lightning Pack 4000N from http://www.ripvan100.com, but you can
    get Maha's from http://www.thomas-distributing.com/. If memory serves, the 204
    has a drain before recharge option (esp. for NiCds) which was dropped in the
    401, but the 401 offers per cell charging and a choice between slow and fast
    charging.

    --
    Michael Meissner
    email:

    Michael Meissner, Nov 21, 2003
  8. Dave Cardarelli

    Phil Guest

    Yes, a very good deal. I've had good success with Panasonic NiMH
    batteries, but I really do not know much about the tech aspects of that
    charger.

    I did recently buy that kit as a Christmas present..

    Phil

    Phil, Nov 21, 2003
  9. Dave Cardarelli

    Rick Guest

    "David Dyer-Bennet" <> wrote in message news:-b.net...
    > "Rick" <> writes:
    >
    > > "Dave Cardarelli" <> wrote in message news:4.net...
    > > > Looking for site to buy a MHC401FS charger or MHC204F charger for AA NiMh
    > > > batteries.
    > > >
    > > > What are the major differences between these and any preferences?

    > > During recharges, the C401FS monitors batteries individually (each
    > > one is on a separate monitoring chanel) while the C204F monitors
    > > them in pairs. Also the 204 is a 500mA charger (fully depleted
    > > 2000mAH batteries take about 4 hours to recharge) while the 401
    > > is double that.
    > >
    > > Personal preference, if time isn't an issue and you use your AA's
    > > in pairs or fours then go for the C204F. It's easier on batteries.

    > If you use the 401fs in slow mode, it should be as good or better than
    > the 204f, as I understand it. *And* you have the fast mode available
    > for emergencies.

    True, although the 204F is 500mA while the 401F is 300mA
    on its slow cycle. 500mA is a good compromise between
    speed and battery wear, but you're right that 300mA is even
    better if time isn't an issue.

    Rick

    Rick, Nov 21, 2003
  10. Dave Cardarelli

    zbzbzb Guest

    >Yes, a very good deal. I've had good success with Panasonic NiMH
    >batteries, but I really do not know much about the tech aspects of that
    >charger.
    >
    >I did recently buy that kit as a Christmas present..
    >
    >Phil

    For 4 AAs it takes just under 4 hours. Not the fastest but for the price
    nothing came close that was as compact and had so many batteries included. I
    wish though it included an extra two AAs instead of the two AAAs that I have no
    use for. Anyone want to swap two Panasonic AAs for two AAAs?

    zbzbzb, Nov 21, 2003
  11. Thanks to the group for all that information. The 401 is my choice and will
    get it at Thomas-Distributing...my first time buying from them. I like the
    single battery monitoring because some cells could individually vary a
    little in capacity.

    Have a nice Holiday

    Regards, Dave C.

    Dave Cardarelli, Nov 21, 2003
  12. Dave Cardarelli

    Bert Hyman Guest

    In news:-b.net David Dyer-Bennet <>
    wrote:

    > "Dave Cardarelli" <> writes:
    >
    >> Looking for site to buy a MHC401FS charger or MHC204F charger for AA
    >> NiMh batteries.
    >>
    >> What are the major differences between these and any preferences?

    ><http://www.thomas-distributing.com/index.htm> is the place I've
    > bought them.

    If you're willing to forego the "free" battery tester, you can save about
    $5 ordering from NewEgg (http://www.newegg.com) because the 204 and 401
    packages are currently availble with "free" shipping.

    I've bought a lot of computer hardware from those guys and they also sell
    some cameras and accessories. Their delivery times are often startling;
    order something on Monday and receive it on Wednesday using their standard
    shipping.

    MH-C204FAA22 $40
    MH-C401FS4AA22 $49

    http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduct.asp?DEPA=1&submit=Go&description=maha