Where to buy a Desktop with winXp *now*

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by CP, Apr 3, 2010.

  1. CP

    CP Guest

    ....that MicroShifty is pushing W-7 so hard?

    Myself, I'm running a new Studio under WinXP SP3, and a very close
    friend wants to do likewise -- BUT I bought it last September and
    stowed it away until my old system refused to boot during the winter.

    Now, I know that Toshiba is still shipping WinXP on a few laptops --
    but Dell has it only on a Notebook, which is so light that not only
    does it have just one gig of RAM, but an optical drive is a cost-extra
    feature. (Not to mention such an external drive would be slower than
    an internal one, because of the USB port, right?)

    I imagine that there are still many new Dell XP laptops with suitable
    warantees out there for sale, just not at the factory any more.

    Anyone know of any reliable sources?

    Thanks for taking the time.

    CP

    P.S. I'm already going to look on Ebay

    CP, Apr 3, 2010

  2. CP wrote:

    > ...that MicroShifty is pushing W-7 so hard?

    My Chevrolet dealer is pushing 2010 models, not 2001 models...

    > Myself, I'm running a new Studio under WinXP SP3, and a very close
    > friend wants to do likewise -- BUT I bought it last September and
    > stowed it away until my old system refused to boot during the winter.

    Fix the old system! Why won't it boot? Viruses?

    > Now, I know that Toshiba is still shipping WinXP on a few laptops --
    > but Dell has it only on a Notebook, which is so light that not only
    > does it have just one gig of RAM, but an optical drive is a
    > cost-extra feature. (Not to mention such an external drive would be
    > slower than an internal one, because of the USB port, right?)
    >
    > I imagine that there are still many new Dell XP laptops with suitable
    > warantees out there for sale, just not at the factory any more.
    >
    > Anyone know of any reliable sources?

    Have you visited your local Mom'n'Pop Shop? All the ones 'round me will
    build you whatever you ask for.

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Apr 3, 2010

  3. CP

    freemont Guest

    On Sat, 03 Apr 2010 00:41:26 +0000, CP writ:

    > I imagine that there are still many new Dell XP laptops with suitable
    > warantees out there for sale, just not at the factory any more.

    Try the Dell outlet.

    http://www.dell.com/content/segmenter.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dfo
    --
    â‚ "Because all you of Earth are idiots!"
    â‚ Beware the 24hoursupport tards:

    freemont, Apr 3, 2010
  4. CP

    OldGringo38 Guest

    Two Cents To The CP Post:
    > ....that MicroShifty is pushing W-7 so hard?
    >
    > Myself, I'm running a new Studio under WinXP SP3, and a very close
    > friend wants to do likewise -- BUT I bought it last September and
    > stowed it away until my old system refused to boot during the winter.
    >
    > Now, I know that Toshiba is still shipping WinXP on a few laptops --
    > but Dell has it only on a Notebook, which is so light that not only
    > does it have just one gig of RAM, but an optical drive is a cost-extra
    > feature. (Not to mention such an external drive would be slower than
    > an internal one, because of the USB port, right?)
    >
    > I imagine that there are still many new Dell XP laptops with suitable
    > warantees out there for sale, just not at the factory any more.
    >
    > Anyone know of any reliable sources?
    >
    > Thanks for taking the time.
    >
    > CP
    >

    > P.S. I'm already going to look on Ebay

    Amazon.com has a few.
    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...ld-keywords=computers with Windows XP&x=0&y=0

    --
    Old Gringo
    Just West Of Nowhere

    OldGringo38, Apr 3, 2010
  5. CP

    Mike Easter Guest

    CP wrote:
    Subject: Where to buy a Desktop with winXp *now*

    Other approaches:

    Buy a new low resource system with XP, whose resources are so low that
    the OEM is permitted to sell it with XP, and boost the resources, such
    as populating the ram to suit yourself.

    -or-

    Buy a new slightly over-the-hill system, such as one with Vista which is
    very low priced and install 'your own' XP on it. Be careful that you
    can find XP drivers for the hardware.

    -or-

    Build your own system and put 'your own' XP on it. Same driver admonition.

    Where 'your own' XP can be a legal licensed XP you bought somewhere, or
    alternatively some pirated version which you should approach very
    cautiously.

    The pirated versions have significant advantages and significant
    disadvantages.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Apr 3, 2010