    web development. For example, presently I want to know how to put a link on a web page which will
    cause a .pdf file to be downloaded. So far the places I've looked haven't addressed that.

    I'll be grateful for a suggestion of a public NG for that.

    Gualtier Malde, May 12, 2007

  2. Once Upon A Time Gualtier Malde wrote:

    >I would like to find another group of this quality where
    >I can post questions about the rudiments of
    >web development. For example, presently I want to know
    >how to put a link on a web page which will
    >cause a .pdf file to be downloaded. So far the places
    >I've looked haven't addressed that.

    Same as any link to an HTML page except that it points to a .pdf instead
    of a .htm. You can't control whether it will be downloaded, opened in
    the browser, or opened in Adobe; that's all controlled by the user's
    browser settings.

    **
    Captain Infinity

    Captain Infinity, May 12, 2007

  3. Captain Infinity wrote:
    > Once Upon A Time Gualtier Malde wrote:
    >
    >> I would like to find another group of this quality where
    >> I can post questions about the rudiments of
    >> web development. For example, presently I want to know
    >> how to put a link on a web page which will
    >> cause a .pdf file to be downloaded. So far the places
    >> I've looked haven't addressed that.

    > Same as any link to an HTML page except that it points to a .pdf instead
    > of a .htm. You can't control whether it will be downloaded, opened in
    > the browser, or opened in Adobe; that's all controlled by the user's
    > browser settings.
    >

    > **
    > Captain Infinity

    I thought that but when I put up a test page and clicked it from the site I got jumbled
    alphanumerics. Didn't think that my browser (FF) might not be set right because I download other
    ..pdf files all the time. I'll go back and check. = Thanks.

    Gualtier Malde, May 12, 2007
  4. Gualtier Malde

    Quivis Guest

    On 12 maj 2007, Gualtier Malde<>, had the
    following to say to the folks in alt.fan.mozilla:

    > I would like to find another group of this quality where I can
    > post questions about the rudiments of web development. For [...]

    I don't know of any groups where such topics are discussed. I would
    instead suggest: http://www.w3schools.com/default.asp
    --
    Quivis

    Quivis, May 12, 2007
  5. Gualtier Malde

    Doug G Guest

    Doug G, May 12, 2007
  6. Gualtier Malde

    Lukan Guest

    Quivis wrote:
    > On 12 maj 2007, Gualtier Malde<>, had the
    > following to say to the folks in alt.fan.mozilla:
    >
    >> I would like to find another group of this quality where I can
    >> post questions about the rudiments of web development. For [...]

    > I don't know of any groups where such topics are discussed. I would
    > instead suggest: http://www.w3schools.com/default.asp

    alt.html ?

    Lukan, May 13, 2007
  7. Gualtier Malde

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Gualtier Malde wrote:
    > Captain Infinity wrote:
    >> Once Upon A Time Gualtier Malde wrote:
    >>
    >>> I would like to find another group of this quality where I can post
    >>> questions about the rudiments of web development. For example,
    >>> presently I want to know how to put a link on a web page which will
    >>> cause a .pdf file to be downloaded. So far the places I've looked
    >>> haven't addressed that.

    >> Same as any link to an HTML page except that it points to a .pdf instead
    >> of a .htm. You can't control whether it will be downloaded, opened in
    >> the browser, or opened in Adobe; that's all controlled by the user's
    >> browser settings.
    >>

    >> ** Captain Infinity

    > I thought that but when I put up a test page and clicked it from the
    > site I got jumbled alphanumerics. Didn't think that my browser (FF)
    > might not be set right because I download other .pdf files all the
    > time. I'll go back and check. = Thanks.

    Most likely cause is that the site's server is sending the wrong MIME
    type to Firefox. If it tells FF that the file is, for instance, a text
    file, FF will believe the site's server and render it as text.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

    Ed Mullen, May 13, 2007
  8. Gualtier Malde

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Lukan wrote:
    > Quivis wrote:
    >> On 12 maj 2007, Gualtier Malde<>, had the
    >> following to say to the folks in alt.fan.mozilla:
    >>> I would like to find another group of this quality where I can
    >>> post questions about the rudiments of web development. For [...]

    >> I don't know of any groups where such topics are discussed. I would
    >> instead suggest: http://www.w3schools.com/default.asp

    > alt.html ?

    Not unless you want the OP to get flamed to death. alt.html is not a
    place for the neophyte unless he is a masochist.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

    Ed Mullen, May 13, 2007
  9. Gualtier Malde

    Alan Illeman Guest

    Alan Illeman, May 13, 2007
  10. Thank you all for the advice and links. This will keep me busy for some time.

    Chuck

    Gualtier Malde, May 13, 2007