Where to "adjust" Avast?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Sigi Rindler, Jun 6, 2007.

  1. Sigi Rindler

    Sigi Rindler Guest

    I have been using Avast for a long time. Viruses that arrived at my computer
    were eliminated as soon as they arrived, and I didn't even become aware of
    it.

    However, for the past 3 days a window pops up which tells me that I have
    received a virus, trojan, worm... Then I have to click on "delete" whenever
    the window pops up. Where does one tell the program to do that
    automatically?

    In "Program Settings" and "Confirmation" I unclicked the box for "Ask before
    deleting files from Chest"... but this one makes no difference. I rebooted
    the computer, but it didn't make any difference?

    Thanks,
    Murgi

    Sigi Rindler, Jun 6, 2007

  2. Sigi Rindler

    pcbutts1 Guest

    It says it on the same window below the delete button.

    pcbutts1, Jun 6, 2007

  3. Sigi Rindler

    Sigi Rindler Guest

    "pcbutts1" <> wrote in message
    > It says it on the same window below the delete button.

    Wow... and thanks! Your answer arrived in less than 1 minute...
    Now I am waiting for the next popup... and getting ready for a visit to the
    eye doctor! :)

    Murgi

    Sigi Rindler, Jun 6, 2007
  4. Sigi Rindler

    Sigi Rindler Guest

    > "pcbutts1" <> wrote in message
    >> It says it on the same window below the delete button.

    Hmmm... tried it, but pressing the "Quarantine" button saves me only one
    click, and the popups still need to be handled manually one by one.

    Sigi Rindler, Jun 6, 2007
  5. Sigi Rindler

    dadiOH Guest

    Sigi Rindler wrote:

    > Hmmm... tried it, but pressing the "Quarantine" button saves me
    > only one
    > click, and the popups still need to be handled manually one by one.

    Try right clicking the systray icon and poking around in "On-Access
    Ptotection Control". When you get there, note there is a page for
    each "shield" and that you get to controls for a particular shield via
    the "customize" button. Once you are in the customizing applet, look
    on the advanced tab...there are two boxes there that may bring joy to
    your heart.

    --

    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

    dadiOH, Jun 6, 2007
  6. Sigi Rindler

    Vanguard Guest

    "Sigi Rindler" wrote in message
    >I have been using Avast for a long time. Viruses that arrived at my
    >computer
    > were eliminated as soon as they arrived, and I didn't even become
    > aware of
    > it.
    >
    > However, for the past 3 days a window pops up which tells me that I
    > have
    > received a virus, trojan, worm... Then I have to click on "delete"
    > whenever
    > the window pops up. Where does one tell the program to do that
    > automatically?
    >
    > In "Program Settings" and "Confirmation" I unclicked the box for "Ask
    > before
    > deleting files from Chest"... but this one makes no difference. I
    > rebooted the computer, but it didn't make any difference?

    So do you save periodic disk/partition images or perform OS repair
    installs when the AV program automatically deletes files that it
    *thinks* are pests, including critical OS files? You should always have
    the AV program notify you when it finds a pest and it should always be
    your choice and your responsibility for determing what action to take
    against the alleged pest. Else, you are letting the AV silently **** up
    your OS or applications because of false positives, and they DO occur.
    If you don't want all those popups against pests, stop downloading porn
    or revisiting those infected sites. If you are gettings so many popups
    that it is of great nuisance then YOU are doing something wrong and
    doing it repeatedly.

    Vanguard, Jun 6, 2007
  7. "Sigi Rindler" <-net.ne.jp> wrote in message
    >I have been using Avast for a long time. Viruses that arrived at my
    >computer
    > were eliminated as soon as they arrived, and I didn't even become aware of
    > it.

    how did you know then?

    > However, for the past 3 days a window pops up which tells me that I have
    > received a virus, trojan, worm... Then I have to click on "delete"
    > whenever
    > the window pops up.

    contradicts what you said above.

    Where does one tell the program to do that
    > automatically?
    >
    > In "Program Settings" and "Confirmation" I unclicked the box for "Ask
    > before
    > deleting files from Chest"... but this one makes no difference. I rebooted
    > the computer, but it didn't make any difference?

    thats the viri that avast cant do anything with....

    Christopher Syn, Jun 7, 2007
  8. Sigi Rindler

    Sigi Rindler Guest

    Here is a part of the AVAST FAQ I just found:
    The automatic delete function exists only in the professional version of
    AVAST. I am not really interested in knowing who sends me between 20 and 30
    infected emails every day which I need to delete or send unto quarantaine
    one by one. Never mind if a legitimate email gets lost...
    PCCillin did have the same handy function as I remember.

    Q: Is it possible to setup avast! HOME to automatically delete
    infected attachments from incoming e-mail messages?

    A: Yes, it´s possible, but in PROFESSIONAL edition only. This feature
    is not available in the HOME version.

    So, if you´re using the PROFESSIONAL edition, follow these steps:

    1.. Start avast! in enhanced interface.
    2.. In left panel, click on TASKS.
    3.. In right panel, right-click on the task RESIDENT PROTECTION and
    select PROPERTIES.
    4.. Below check the ADVANCED CONFIGURATION checkbox.
    5.. In left panel, under OUTLOOK/EXCHANGE or INTERNET MAIL provider,
    click on VIRUS.
    6.. Click on REMOVE LAST WORD button and then click on DELETE
    button.
    7.. Click OK to save the changes.

    Sigi Rindler, Jun 8, 2007
  9. Sigi Rindler

    Vanguard Guest

    > Here is a part of the AVAST FAQ I just found:
    > The automatic delete function exists only in the professional version
    > of AVAST. I am not really interested in knowing who sends me between
    > 20 and 30 infected emails every day which I need to delete or send
    > unto quarantaine one by one. Never mind if a legitimate email gets
    > lost...
    > PCCillin did have the same handy function as I remember.
    >
    > Q: Is it possible to setup avast! HOME to automatically delete
    > infected attachments from incoming e-mail messages?
    >
    > A: Yes, it´s possible, but in PROFESSIONAL edition only. This
    > feature is not available in the HOME version.

    Anti-virus scanning of e-mail is superfluous and too often interferes
    with the operation of the e-mail client, usually by introducing extended
    delays to deliver the traffic to the e-mail client after it requests new
    messages from the mail server. The traffic gets intercepted by the AV
    program to interrogate it before it then passes it on to the e-mail
    client. This causes timeouts in the e-mail client. Some AV programs
    will periodically send a bogus header to the e-mail client during this
    interrogation (but for those that have this feature there are some that
    require the user to enable it).

    E-mail scanning is redundant because the same realtime scanner used to
    interrogate the mail traffic is the same one used to check when you
    create or update a file on the drive, like when you try to save the
    attachment from the e-mail. All e-mail gets sent as plain-text so
    attachments are harmless within them. The attachments are encoded into
    a text block in the body of the e-mail. Text doesn't execute. When you
    attempt to decode the text encoded attachment back into an executable
    binary file is when the AV's realtime scanner will catch it.

    The real problem is that you have no decent anti-spam filtering in
    place. I don't get infected e-mails because they originate from spam
    sources. There are lots of free anti-spam solutions. I happen to use
    SpamPal along with its Bayesian, RegEx, and HTML-Modify plugins
    (although I've disabled quite a bit of the HTML-Modify plug-in since its
    detection methods are too old but it does afford striping out nasty HTML
    code by renaming tags so they are invalid and don't get rendered).

    Infected e-mail from non-spam sources usually means they come from the
    same few sources. Anti-spam software or even your e-mail client can use
    blacklisting to eliminate those pests.

    Vanguard, Jun 8, 2007