    Anyway, I thought I'd post here before calling Canon and asking how you
    save (to a hard drive) Exif data.

    , Sep 13, 2006

  2. Dave Cohen Guest

    wrote:
    > I have my photos downloaded to a ThinkPad laptop running Windows XP.
    > The photos are downloaded with Microsoft Camera Wizard to My Pictures.
    > The only available data is the byte size of the particular photo/file.
    > Anyway, I thought I'd post here before calling Canon and asking how you
    > save (to a hard drive) Exif data.

    There is a freebie, Exifer which is probably as good as any for quickly
    scanning a folder showing thumbnails and exif data for each shot.
    Irfanviev and similar programs will also show exif data, but this is a
    feature and not it's main purpose.
    Dave Cohen

    Dave Cohen, Sep 13, 2006

  3. Guest

    wrote:

    > I have my photos downloaded to a ThinkPad laptop running Windows XP.
    > The photos are downloaded with Microsoft Camera Wizard to My Pictures.
    > The only available data is the byte size of the particular photo/file.
    > Anyway, I thought I'd post here before calling Canon and asking how you
    > save (to a hard drive) Exif data.

    You don't have to do anything. The EXIF data's already
    written into the picture file. You just have to use the
    proper tool to view the info.

    As already mentioned, there are plenty of such tools,
    some of them free. Can't come up with any particular
    one to suggest off the top of my head - sorry. You can
    Google for "free exif viewer" or something similar.
    Irfanview needs to have the plugins installed to be
    able to show Exif data. Both Irfanview and the plugins
    are available at http://www.irfanview.com

    , Sep 13, 2006
  4. George K Guest

    Using Windows Explorer, navigate to the image you are interested in
    (you can use the "Thumbnails") view. Move your mouse over the image you
    are interested in (an abbreviated properties pop-up will appear), right
    mouse click your mouse and select the "Properties" option. Click the
    "Summary" tab and click the "Advanced" button and you will have more
    EXIF information. Opanda, http://wwww.oapnda.com, has a free EXIF
    viewer that is quite complete as well as a purchasable editor..

    George K, Sep 13, 2006
  5. wrote:
    > I have my photos downloaded to a ThinkPad laptop running Windows XP.
    > The photos are downloaded with Microsoft Camera Wizard to My Pictures.
    > The only available data is the byte size of the particular photo/file.
    > Anyway, I thought I'd post here before calling Canon and asking how you
    > save (to a hard drive) Exif data.

    Picasa2, freeware from Google, is great for organizing photos. It copies
    them from My Pictures, and any editing done through Picasa2 is
    reversible with the click of one button, with no loss of quality. When
    viewing one image singly, the exif data appear on the screen for you.

    Morton

    Morton Linder, Sep 14, 2006
  6. George K Guest

    Picas only provides limited EXIF data. For example, Picasa does not
    show the "makernote" data. When using a Nikon DSLR with either the
    SB-800 or SB-600 external Speedlight, flash, one can find and compute
    the exposure compensation set on the Speedlight which is not included
    within Picasa's or Window's EXIF display. Nikon also provides more
    detailed information about the lens and camera settings.

    George K, Sep 14, 2006